Consolidated "Utah and Colorado - What to see and do?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Utah and Colorado - What to see and do?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I have some of those same stops. Keep in mind that Hwy 24 that goes from the Vail/Breckenridge area to Leadville is suffering some road closures because of a sinkhole. I am not if the entire road is closed or if they are alternating traffic. There are other ways to get to Leadville though. I love the SW area of CO/AZ/UT. Monument Valley was very nice. It is an easy drive through there to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Im not sure of the time of year you are going but if it is before the end of Sept, you can add that to your stop (the North Rim closes early because of snow; it is significantly higher elevation than the South Rim).
Old Jul 21, 2012, 5:09 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A week is a really, really short amount of time given the distances.

Don't know when you arriving at DIA, but I'd consider

a) Colorado Springs -- Garden of the Gods and/or Air Force Academy Chapel. If you want to RON at Colorado Springs, you could add in a trip to Pikes Peak up the cog railway.

b) Bluff, Utah (via US 50 west of Canon City - Arkansas River canyon. Beautiful). Use Bluff to see Monument Valley.

c) Bluff to Kanab Utah (stopping at North Rim -- keep in mind that the drive from the highway to the rim will add about 3 hours)

d) Kanab to Moab via the incredible Utah Highway 12. Some time at Arches National Park (and Capitol Reef Monument and Escalante Staircase monument along the way).

e) Moab back to Denver one a number of ways that others would be better at advising on.

But this will be a VERY rushed trip and your sightseeing will necessarily have to be Griswold-style.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Thanks guys! I know it is a rushed schedule, but it is what it is, and I am planing on seeing as much as possible. Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs sounds fun.

I have been to the South Rim, is it worth going to the North Rim and seeing it but "wasting" more time or since I have been to the South Rim, I should spend the time seeing more of other stuff? After Monument Valley, I was planing on going north, to SLC.

Also, the big question is, between Monument Valley to SLC, what is the best things to see? I wanted to see Bryce, Arch's, and Rainbow Bridge. Anything else?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by djmagnum
Thanks guys! I know it is a rushed schedule, but it is what it is, and I am planing on seeing as much as possible. Pikes Peak in Colorado Springs sounds fun.

I have been to the South Rim, is it worth going to the North Rim and seeing it but "wasting" more time or since I have been to the South Rim, I should spend the time seeing more of other stuff? After Monument Valley, I was planing on going north, to SLC.

Also, the big question is, between Monument Valley to SLC, what is the best things to see? I wanted to see Bryce, Arch's, and Rainbow Bridge. Anything else?
IMO, Bryce is the most spectacular of the parks and monuments I've seen in Utah and I would not miss it.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Steerage
Rocky Mountain National Park. I always take out of towners there, and even the most jaded are always impressed.

If I were going to take someone on a roadtrip of Colorado at Utah from Denver, this is what I would do:

Denver to Rocky Mountain National Park
US 34 / Trail Ridge Rd to US 40 to I70
I70 to SR91 or US 24 to Leadville
US 24 to Independence Pass to Aspen
Aspen to Durango via the Million Dollar Highway
Durango to Mesa Verde
Mesa Verde to Monument Valley
Monument Valley to Moab
Arches and Canyonlands National Parks
Moab back to Denver

Originally Posted by JerryFF
IMO, Bryce is the most spectacular of the parks and monuments I've seen in Utah and I would not miss it.
Agreed, if you make it that far west. If you have time you should try to make it out there. The entire drive through southern Utah is gorgeous.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA
GoBucks has an excellent itinerary. I'd only add to it with a suggestion that, after Leaving Aspen, you turn left in Carbondale and take co133 and 92 to Sapinero to Montrose and on south to Durango.

Colorado Springs is ok and Pikes Peak is nice but Trail Ridge, Independence Pass and especially the Milion Dollar Hwy are far more scenic. Personally, SLC is way out of the way and is a lot of driving just for a city, a nice city but still a city.

Also, if you're traveling in summer, Utah will be hot.

Have fun!
JimS

Last edited by mtnjim; Jul 26, 2012 at 12:46 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by GoBucks
Rocky Mountain National Park. I always take out of towners there, and even the most jaded are always impressed.

If I were going to take someone on a roadtrip of Colorado at Utah from Denver, this is what I would do:

Denver to Rocky Mountain National Park
US 34 / Trail Ridge Rd to US 40 to I70
I70 to SR91 or US 24 to Leadville
US 24 to Independence Pass to Aspen
Aspen to Durango via the Million Dollar Highway
Durango to Mesa Verde
Mesa Verde to Monument Valley
Monument Valley to Moab
Arches and Canyonlands National Parks
Moab back to Denver

I would alter it slightly....

day 1: Rocky Mountain NP overnight in vail/breckonridge
day 2: drive down through independence pass to aspen then on to Moab
day 3: Arches/Canyonlands
day 4: Arches...drive to monumnet valley to view at sunset...the drive to cortez
day5: Mesa Verde in the AM..US 550 in the afternoon/evening....stay in Ouray
day 6: There is a nice shot of the mountains in the morning near dallas divide....then drive US 50 To gunnison....option drive down to see Sand Dunes national park for the afternoon/evening or go to colo springs
day 7: colorado springs area

alternate option...
day 4: AM Arches...evening drive to Torrey
day 5: UT 12 am, Bryce in the PM...stay in Kanab
day 6: you could try and do north tim in the am...then drive and do monument valley in the evening then on to cortez....
back to above--day 5 pushes 2 days to day 5 and so on...
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:47 pm

You got some great Ideas here. Just wanted to add if you do happen to get to southern Wyoming take Snowy Range, route 130, out of Laramie. It's a 29mile spectacular drive.

Bobette
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, United, HH, club Carlson
Advice on what to see in Colorado and Utah, esp. Nat'l. Parks.

Myself and my better half are thinking of heading to Colorado Utah etc on a two week drive hol in October. Has anyone been? Any suggestions of must sees. Really into national parks, the Rockies etc
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Tons to see and do out there

Good timing as well, not too hot and the snow hasn't started so travel should be easy. I only know the skiing in Colorado which wouldn't apply then, but for Utah, I would recommend Bryce Canyon, the Arches national park and if you have any interest in biking, Moab (and don't worry about being an expert rider, as long as you can ride a little you can enjoy Moab)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 6:56 am

Advice on holiday to US

A big second for Moab Utah. Absolutely one of the most beautiful places in the world. Along with Arches you will be close to Canyonlands park which is also worth a day or two of driving / hiking.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:08 am

I would definitely go to Mesa Verde There you will see how the Indians lived in the sides of cliffs. I think you can still climb down to one I am not sure but it is definitely interesting. While in that area you can take the steam train from Telluride to Silverton and see the old west town.
I would also go to the top of Pike's Peak. It is not everyday you can have altitude sickness. They have a train that goes up or you can drive. I took the train it was quite fun.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:26 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
With a more-focused thread title, let me move this to the specific forum on Travel to the Western U.S. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by mrkdips
Myself and my better half are thinking of heading to Colorado Utah etc on a two week drive hol in October. Has anyone been? Any suggestions of must sees. Really into national parks, the Rockies etc
I have been there in October--it depends when you go.

Not sure if you have set your dates yet but here are some suggestions....

Rocky Mountian National Park...this is Elk mating season so the first weekend of October they usually have some sort of festival in Estes Park.

At the end of September you have fall color changes at higher elevations and through Aspen, Vail, Breckonridge.

In the flat areas of Colorado and Utah (Grand Junction, Moab, Durango, Alamosa) the tree colors change in early October (around Columbus day weekend).

Say you drive from grand Junction to Cortez in early October. The flat part of grand junction to Ouray , dallas divide will be at peak color, Telluride, Silverton will be past peak. Durango, Cortez, Mesa Verde will be around peak fall color.

In terms of sites to see...

Rocky Mountain national park

Maroon bells near aspen

Mesa Verde

Great Sand Dunes

Moab (Arches, Canyondlands, Dead horse Point State Park)

Monument Valley

What you can do is a loop trip....drive to Rocky Mountain...then to Aspen...to Moab...to Monument Valley...to Mesa Verde, drive US 550...then to San Dunes...then back to denver.

Originally Posted by rdaven2003
I would definitely go to Mesa Verde There you will see how the Indians lived in the sides of cliffs. I think you can still climb down to one I am not sure but it is definitely interesting. While in that area you can take the steam train from Telluride to Silverton and see the old west town.
I would also go to the top of Pike's Peak. It is not everyday you can have altitude sickness. They have a train that goes up or you can drive. I took the train it was quite fun.

With Mesa Verde at this time of year half the park is closed (its only open Memorial Day to Labor Day). There are two you can do but you need to obtain tour tickets for these.

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 11, 2012 at 5:45 pm Reason: Merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Oct 9, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Hello everyone, I have a business trip coming up to SLC (Provo actually) and I was able to convince my company to let me go early so I can do some sightseeing with my wife. Last time I was there (only for 1 night) I was able to drive through Big Cottonwood Canyon and walk around Silver Lake (and see moose!) and that was awesome. We will be arriving Nov 3 (in the morning) and I have to report for work on Nov 6 (afternoon) so I realize that we won't have a lot of time to do stuff. My original plan was to spend a night in Moab and another near Bryce Canyon, but I have decided that would be way too much driving for a short trip like ours. So my new plan is to spend our first night in SLC and I can take her through Big Cottonwood and we can explore more than I got to and probably go through Little Cottonwood as well. Maybe hit up Bridal Falls in the Provo area if there is time.

My question to all of you is, if you had a choice, would you visit the Bryce Canyon area (along with Zion) or would Moab be a better choice (with Canyonlands, Arches, etc)? Do I have to worry about snow at all at this time of year in any of these areas? I'm from Chicago so it isn't like I'm not used to driving in the stuff, but it would make me think twice about driving and hiking in some places!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.