Search

Transportation from Aspen to Telluride

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2011, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Transportation from Aspen to Telluride

Hi All,

I'm fortunate enough to have a free trip to Aspen in February. I'm going to extend it and go to Telluride, which I know is about a 100 mile drive away. I'll be flying into Aspen and out of Telluride. Right now I have a rental car, and I paid for a full-size car, and even with my corporate rate, it'll run me about $250 for just a day! I'm justifying it by telling myself that i'm getting so much free in Aspen that I should just pay for it. Okay. So I am. I have a reservation made just in case, but is there any other way to do it? I googled shuttles, and I couldn't find anything. I'm guessing there's probably nothing, and if we have a car, at least we can stop at any fun spots along the way (recommendations?), but if we can save the money, would like to!

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:15 am

Aspen to Telluride? You realize that's a five-hour drive, right? And I wouldn't go the way Google tells you to, especally in winter; I'd take I-70 and US 50 instead.

You're a 1K; I'd first look at award avaiilability on ASE-DEN-MTJ, then rent a car from MTJ. You can also do ASE-DEN-TEX, but DEN-TEX is Great Lakes Aviation and can only be booked over the phone.

Some of the more obvious side trips include the hot springs in Glenwood Springs and Ouray; the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and Colorado NM; and the view of the San Juans from Dallas Divide (along Highway 62 west of Ridgway).
Old Jan 19, 2011, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Lotta travel for similar mountains. Enjoy Aspen.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:19 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
What about Steamboat Springs? Easier drive.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Nah I've always wanted to go to Telluride. I've been to Steamboat and all of the summit county resorts (keystone, breck, a-basin, etc). I'm a huge fan of Vail / Beaver Creek, but I'm gonna make Telluride happen :-).

I have a one-way car rental booked, and i know it will be a long day, but we'll get on the road by 9AM or so... if it takes the majority of the day, that's fine. I'm just hoping there's no snow storm... otherwise it could get interesting! If anyone has a great lunch recommendation to stop at along the way, let me know!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Thought I'd post back here to let y'all know that the drive really wasn't too bad. Luckily, it wasn't snowing the day we did the drive. We drove from Aspen to Grand Junction, and then from Grand Junction to Telluride. We left around 11AM in Aspen, and we were in Grand Junction in time for lunch at Taco Bell. There's really no "mountain driving" (i.e. windy roads w/ cliffs) if you drive through Grand Junction. We took the drive easy to Telluride, and we stopped at the WalMart in Montrose, and a few stores / brewery in Ridgway. Just got back tonight, and I had a great time... Plus... flying out of Telluride is pretty awesome!
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
I flew into TEX in, oh, 2004 I think. But currently the airport web site says there is no commercial service. When did service stop? So what do people do, fly to MTJ? Was really nice being able to fly to TEX.

http://www.tellurideairport.com/airline.html
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by thelostshark
I flew into TEX in, oh, 2004 I think. But currently the airport web site says there is no commercial service. When did service stop? So what do people do, fly to MTJ? Was really nice being able to fly to TEX.

http://www.tellurideairport.com/airline.html
See:
http://www.telluridenews.com/article...7722261780.txt

MTJ is the best option.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
That's too bad, but thanks for the info.

Wonder what the issues were that they cryptically referred to. tls
Old Dec 24, 2014, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

It's a shame that people aren't able to fly in / out of TEX these days! In addition to it being quite a fun, scenic spot, it was also the highest commercially operated airport in the USA. Gotta love that takeoff as well. I made a video of it back in the day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6hpZ_o1Hn4

Glad I got to fly out of there. Hopefully it will reopen again in the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.