Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

V Australia 777 vs. Qantas A380 LAX-SYD in economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

V Australia 777 vs. Qantas A380 LAX-SYD in economy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:21 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Business Colleague recently flew SYD LAX premium economy on VA and Business on the return LAX SYD -said V Australia was outstanding. Could not fault the crew or the facilities in either class.

My colleague is a fussy person who would find fault in anything if he could.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:35 am

Programs: ANZ G; QF G; DJ S
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
For Australian and NZ residents yes. A senior DJ insider said that Flying Club would be the international program for VA. Ie NOT velocity.
Hi AN_Boy. Would you or your "senior DJ insider" have any knowledge of any plans DJ might have - in the context of "getting closer to DL" - any plans of joining the Skyteam alliance?

Cheers, Starbear
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
He posted this over on another website frequentflyer.com.au

"I'm not saying we won't ever do it. Just that SkyTeam is pretty weak in this part of the world and joining them could make it harder to have partnerships with airlines like Thai, Emirates and Malaysian and even say ANA that would be more useful to us.

There is a lot of baggage that comes will alliance membership which we can avoid with bilateral arrangements and still deliver most of the benefit of a global alliance to our guests."

also

"Still some issues to be sorted on reciprocity but I understand we are getting the highest levels of reciprocity that Delta has ever given to non-SkyTeam airlines. The plan is that Lounge members (including Velocity Gold) and J class guests will get access to all Delta lounges when travelling on an international itinerary. I believe the intent is that Velocity members will get points + status on VA-coded flights and points only on DL flights without VA code.

We would like to get to this level of reciprocity with Atlantic, Emirates, Malaysian and maybe SkyTeam airlines such as Korean and China Southern. Frankly we would like Singapore but they don't seem to like us - something to do with them not being able to fly trans-Pacific and Richard Branson tearing up a check for the purchase of VB in Ansett's dying days . Also given our level of competition with AirNZ and United and indirectly Air Canada we are probably persona-no-grata within Star. Essentially we want to be able to offer the same benefits as alliances, but without the overhead and being able to pick and choose who we deal with.
"
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: ANZ G; QF G; DJ S
Hi AN_Boy, and thanks for your comprehensive answer. The 2nd section is more positive, but based on that I won't yet forgo my QF Gold or NZ Gold statuses, by giving V Oz my USA trip in Jan '10 (which would have been a PE+Biz combo).

I understand DJ's desire to keep their options open as well as the obligations attached to alliance m'ship, but I really think that their eternal fence-sitting is holding them back from being a viable alternative for Australian biz & govt travellers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.