Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin sees challenging profit outlook on the triangle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:02 am
Original Poster

https://www.reuters.com/article/virg...-idUSL1N2IP06U

* Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane triangle to be more competitive

* Virgin ramping up domestic capacity as state borders re-open

* Keeping Singapore Airlines, Etihad, Delta as partners (Adds details of route importance, CEO comments)

SYDNEY, Dec 9 (Reuters) - Virgin Australia expects the profit outlook for the Sydney-Melbourne-Brisbane triangle will be challenging for a long time as Regional Express Holdings Ltd (Rex) enters the market, Virgin’s chief executive said on Wednesday.

The so-called “golden triangle” of the Sydney-Melbourne, Sydney-Brisbane and Brisbane-Melbourne routes normally accounts for 40% of domestic aviation traffic.
The decision to keep the 'anchors' of VA's international partnerships is a sensible decision IMO, although DL still being there won't please the Star Alliance fans (or NZ/UA for that matter).

It's a matter of who survives out of REX or VA domestically (if not entirely) imo. QF still has the reserves to sit out the upcoming war, despite encumbering a large number of their assets in recent months to survive the wave.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I think Rex will take more marketshare from VA than QF. I also think there is room for QF, Rex and VA.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by DanV
The decision to keep the 'anchors' of VA's international partnerships is a sensible decision IMO, although DL still being there won't please the Star Alliance fans (or NZ/UA for that matter).
I don't understand the continued harping about VA and Star Alliance.

Sure when VA was cozy with NZ it made some sense. But now VA's close partners are in various (or no) alliances. SQ is the only primary one in *A (the ANA link is tenuous at best). And the NZ relationship turned pretty sour. Star Alliance and VA are never going to happen.
Supersonic Swinger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.