Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

VA’s PJs in “The Business” are flippin’ awesome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme

Ridiculously loyal Delta DIamond FF here. I’d only ever flown to SYD, so I always took Delta’s D1 service. I deal with TV and media companies, so we had a job to do at Channel 7 in Brisbane. I went to Delta and they had nothing direct, but they did have a non-stop VA codeshare LAX>BNE, so I decided to give it a shot. I was hoping that VA’s J product “The Business” was at least as good as Delta One.

Well, shiver me timbers, the entire experience — hard product, soft product, level of service, etc — were a cut-above any D1 experience I’ve had, and I’ve had them all from the latest DL A350 suites all the way down to the old, nasty B767 cubbies.

Delta and and every other US domestic airline could learn something from VA. And while Air France’s “La Premiere” is still the gold standard (I know, I’m comparing apples and slightly different apples here), I don’t have a single negative thing to say about VA’s J experience — save for perhaps a slightly lackluster IFE movie selection.

The clincher was the PJs. Im a big dude, and I can’t squeeze my prodigiously proportioned frame into any airlines’ XL PJs. So when The FAs came by offering PJs up to Size “L” I declined and said “those will never fit me.” That’s when FA “James” — easily as generously proportioned as I am, if not moreso — said the large fit him with room to spare amd that I should try them. Skeptical, I took him up on his challenge, fully expecting to have my skepticism confirmed, only to happily discover they fit PERFECTLY, with a little bit of wiggle room left over to accommodate expansion during 13 hours of non-stop in-flight gluttony.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in “The Business” and am of the opinion that Delta and every other major US domestic carrier lag behind in overall QoS, by comparison.
serfty, shuuy and vantage03 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
A gay FA friend of mine says the premium cabin FAs like checking out the pyjama-clad male passengers in the morning for any visible signs of ... size
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That's funny, I am wearing some VA PJ's right now!

There are two versions at the moment, the black & silver 'Star Trek' style is really nice, while there is a grey with purple piping that I'm not as big a fan of.

But yes, the service and product in 'the business' is fantastic.
TheHorta, serfty and buffegg like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
That's funny, I am wearing some VA PJ's right now!

There are two versions at the moment, the black & silver 'Star Trek' style is really nice, while there is a grey with purple piping that I'm not as big a fan of.

But yes, the service and product in 'the business' is fantastic.
Those are the ones! Since I’m a lightweight Trekkie, I naturally fell in love with them. They gave me an extra set both ways, so I left the ones I wore and absconded with the brand new pairs.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta

Those are the ones! Since I’m a lightweight Trekkie, I naturally fell in love with them. They gave me an extra set both ways, so I left the ones I wore and absconded with the brand new pairs.
If you got them both directions, perhaps they've phased out the grey ones then.

When everyone at the in-flight bar is 'in uniform', you definitely get that 'Enterprise' feel. Especially after a few cocktails!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
I still use mine at home from the HGK-MEL flight, great for the Aussie winter!
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: Velocity & KrisFlyer
Couldn't agree more, excellent PJ's. I have several sets of the black and silver ones and wear them at home :-) I have been on VA day flights to Hong Kong and asked for PJ's - which they have handed over - all to build my stockpile at home.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Ridiculously loyal Delta DIamond FF here. I’d only ever flown to SYD, so I always took Delta’s D1 service. I deal with TV and media companies, so we had a job to do at Channel 7 in Brisbane. I went to Delta and they had nothing direct, but they did have a non-stop VA codeshare LAX>BNE, so I decided to give it a shot. I was hoping that VA’s J product “The Business” was at least as good as Delta One.

Well, shiver me timbers, the entire experience — hard product, soft product, level of service, etc — were a cut-above any D1 experience I’ve had, and I’ve had them all from the latest DL A350 suites all the way down to the old, nasty B767 cubbies.

Delta and and every other US domestic airline could learn something from VA. And while Air France’s “La Premiere” is still the gold standard (I know, I’m comparing apples and slightly different apples here), I don’t have a single negative thing to say about VA’s J experience — save for perhaps a slightly lackluster IFE movie selection.

The clincher was the PJs. Im a big dude, and I can’t squeeze my prodigiously proportioned frame into any airlines’ XL PJs. So when The FAs came by offering PJs up to Size “L” I declined and said “those will never fit me.” That’s when FA “James” — easily as generously proportioned as I am, if not moreso — said the large fit him with room to spare amd that I should try them. Skeptical, I took him up on his challenge, fully expecting to have my skepticism confirmed, only to happily discover they fit PERFECTLY, with a little bit of wiggle room left over to accommodate expansion during 13 hours of non-stop in-flight gluttony.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in “The Business” and am of the opinion that Delta and every other major US domestic carrier lag behind in overall QoS, by comparison.
Picture please.

Do all seats have direct aisle access?
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Picture please.

You want a picture of the OP in PJs???

VA's current product is easily and quickly found with a simple search. It's not a new offering.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Picture please.

I can PM you video of me changing into them in the J Lav -- *wink* *wink*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.