Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Long Haul MEL-LAX With Velocity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite

In the rules it says Gold and Platinum members can upgade the long haul International routes.

I take this to mean Partner-Platinum would not be allowed to upgrade these routes. Is that correct?
Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
In the rules it says Gold and Platinum members can upgade the long haul International routes.

I take this to mean Partner-Platinum would not be allowed to upgrade these routes. Is that correct?
Thanks.
No - a "partner" WP/SG has the same benefits as a normal WP/SG.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by serfty
No - a "partner" WP/SG has the same benefits as a normal WP/SG.
In general I agree. But the benefits aren't exactly identical. For example a partner plat does not receive upgrade certificates, Hertz/Hilton comp upgrades, etc etc.

I am quite unsure that VA will allow a partner to upgrade with VA points if they do not have VA status. Knowing VA's systems can be quite troublesome, even if VA wanted this to be a benefit, it might not work as desired.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
In general I agree. But the benefits aren't exactly identical. For example a partner plat does not receive upgrade certificates, Hertz/Hilton comp upgrades, etc etc.

I am quite unsure that VA will allow a partner to upgrade with VA points if they do not have VA status. Knowing VA's systems can be quite troublesome, even if VA wanted this to be a benefit, it might not work as desired.
In 2015 I gifted SG to my brother in law.

He received hotel and rental car upgrade options.

Has this changed?
RTWFF likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
When OP is referring to Partner, I think OP is referring to DL or another airline.

CPMaverick likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
When OP is referring to Partner, I think OP is referring to DL or another airline.

Yes, this is what I am referring to - Delta in particular. I said "Partner Platinum" because that's what my boarding pass says when my VOZ itinerary is linked to my DL SkyMiles #. Sorry if it was confusing.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
Yes, this is what I am referring to - Delta in particular. I said "Partner Platinum" because that's what my boarding pass says when my VOZ itinerary is linked to my DL SkyMiles #. Sorry if it was confusing.
OK, apologies for the misunderstanding.

With Velocity Points a VA Gold or Platinum can use Velocity points to upgrade from Freedom (Flexi Economy) or Premium Economy fares to upgrade to Business Class.

Velocity UpgradeMe Points | Flying | Velocity Frequent Flyer

I don't believe this extends to members of Partner programs, certainly the terms are specific "Platinum and Gold Velocity members booked on certain fares can use Points to request an upgrade on International Long Haul flights to or from Los Angeles and Hong Kong operated by Virgin Australia with a VA flight number" ...
RTWFF likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:01 pm

Yes 'Partner Platinum' is what Delta Diamond elites are called (and I assume, other partner top-tier elites).

'Partner Gold' is the name for Delta Gold, and confusingly, Delta Platinum.

I do not know of a comprehensive list of benefits for these 'partner' tiers. Generally I think the airport and in-flight experience is the same as VA tiers.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yes 'Partner Platinum' is what Delta Diamond elites are called (and I assume, other partner top-tier elites).
"Partner" has now become one of those words that means everything and nothing. I recall being told the partner of someone who was already a Partner in a Fat Four accounting firm and working on the project, would be joining a project I was on. It took me a little while - and even then I had to ask - to understand that the partner was not a partner in the business sense but the leg-over sense. I think VA uses the term in the leg-over sense when it refers to family members or similar to whom a "double Platinum" can gift a Gold status membership. And then of course there's "partner in crime" ...
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster

I verified today in MEL that "Partner Platinum" via Diamond on Delta will NOT give you eligibility to upgrade to business on the LAX route.

Surprisingly (to me anyway), I also could NOT upgrade to premium economy either, despite the availability.

For additional data: there was 1 business left and an undisclosed number of PE. The upgrade price point was A$2500 for business and A$999 for PE. I would be curious to know if these are static upgrade prices or if they are dynamic based on inventory remaining and possibly day of the week of travel.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 4:04 pm

Thanks for following up to confirm. It doesn't surprise me that PE upgrade eligibility is the same as J upgrade eligibility, that is how the rule is written for VA members as well.

Sorry, don't know for sure if those are dynamic or fixed upgrade cash prices, but they sound fixed to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.