Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best business SYD-LAX? Virgin?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF Lifetime Gold + more
I'd be very keen to try VA J to LAX. Any idea of how often sales occur in J to the USA (and if sales will likely to cover June 19)? I think I've seen sale fares historically as low as $4.7k return with the standard lead in fares of about $7k. Keen to know if anyone has seen better. Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:02 am

Interesting discussion- thanks everyone! Best business class? So far I have done VA, AA, QF, UA.

I pick VA - for the reasons others have above plus enthusiastic friendly staff. In my view, it’s really rather nice having a decent conversation with a human when flying a lot.

Next QF and UA equal. QF as they try. Sometimes you can get the grand old cruise liner of the skies (747 blast from the past). Sometimes a new Dreamliner and seat. And, downsides, the food is tired, staff are often rigid (don’t you dare open that blind to look outside!), old seat padding is only just ok with the mattress on top. Yea, I know, first class, first world problem.
UA, lovely bedding, pretty good food, surpasses expectations, Dreamliner. Downsides - staff often party through the night = often waking me up. You need to know to ask for bedding/pj’s etc.
Both - if you care about individual aisle access you won’t like some UA and QF options. I don’t care about this.

AA next - upsides, will sometimes upgrade you. Down, delivers the service my expectations think are UA. Usually runs out of alcohol early and I often don’t really want to order early. Middling - nicer staff I think than UA if you actually ask and make a point of chatting.

And, all this is just a generalization. Part of the reason I rate VA first is I’ve never had anything but positive experiences.

Hope this is useful.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Plane Crazy
I'd be very keen to try VA J to LAX. Any idea of how often sales occur in J to the USA (and if sales will likely to cover June 19)? I think I've seen sale fares historically as low as $4.7k return with the standard lead in fares of about $7k. Keen to know if anyone has seen better. Thanks!
VA recently had a 30% off for AMEX card holders, which ended 31/8. The return prices were $4.7k return...so I'd say that's about the best I've seen.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BNE_VA_Hawk
VA recently had a 30% off for AMEX card holders, which ended 31/8. The return prices were $4.7k return...so I'd say that's about the best I've seen.
30% off what ? There is no one price.

% off sales are so dodgy. Hotels have % off sales, off rack rates that virtually no one ever pays, but they can "discount" off.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

just now saw an email of VA dumping seats to the industry from AUD$499 eg. SYD/LAX/SYD + govt taxes of AUD$200. It's on an open website

also cheap PE & business class

Virgin Australia Industry Rates to LAX from $499* - Virgin Australia - Breakaway Travelclub - cheap flights, discount holidays for the travel industry - Breakaway Travelclub
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by southpac
30% off what ? There is no one price. % off sales are so dodgy.
30% off any current published fare. It was a good sale, not a scam, and not dodgy. I definitely took advantage.

Perhaps direct your ire to something deserving of it!
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
30% off any current published fare. It was a good sale, not a scam, and not dodgy. I definitely took advantage.

Perhaps direct your ire to something deserving of it!
yeah ah NO.

Talk to any decent travel agent & they will tell you there are lots of different business & 1st class fares.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:58 pm

yeah ah NO.

Talk to any decent travel agent & they will tell you there are lots of different business & 1st class fares.
It was 30% off ANY published fare.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

It was 30% off ANY published fare.
travel agents usually have fares better than anything on airline websites, plus they can play with commissions, that airlines can't. Some agents even sell at cost especially at end of month, 1/4, year, just to get their numbers up & then get rebates based on monthly, 1/4 ly or annual sales.

Airlines offer all sorts of incentives to agents to sell them, rather than some other airline.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:16 pm

Indeed, but tell a TA to beat 30% off the lowest published fare. I'm sure sometimes they can, but definitely not always. It's rare to see that amount of discount applied across the board.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Indeed, but tell a TA to beat 30% off the lowest published fare. I'm sure sometimes they can, but definitely not always. It's rare to see that amount of discount applied across the board.
not really. Published fares are like hotel rack rates ... not many people actually ever pay them, they are just a number to discount from.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:35 pm

not really. Published fares are like hotel rack rates ... not many people actually ever pay them, they are just a number to discount from.
Haha, no, Hotel rack rates are like full 'Y fare' airline seats. Published fares are like what the hotels themselves actually sell rooms direct to the consumer for.

Everyone who buys a ticket direct on the airline's website pays a published fare. Anything on ITA matrix is a published fare. And you say 'not many people actually pay' published fares? Rubbish.

A TA or special group rate is in the vast minority of airline fares.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Haha, no, Hotel rack rates are like full 'Y fare' airline seats. Published fares are like what the hotels themselves actually sell rooms direct to the consumer for.

Everyone who buys a ticket direct on the airline's website pays a published fare. Anything on ITA matrix is a published fare. And you say 'not many people actually pay' published fares? Rubbish.

A TA or special group rate is in the vast minority of airline fares.
in Australia the majority of airline tickets sold are through travel agents, NOT on airline websites (this might be different overseas). Do Flight Centre sell published fares ? Some, but suggest the majority of airline tickets they sell are special nett deals they have with airlines.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:40 pm

in Australia the majority of airline tickets sold are through travel agents, NOT on airline websites (this might be different overseas).
Sorry, I live in Australia and I don't agree with this statement. Please provide a source.

All the popular online ETAs here sell published fares. Maybe Flight Centre does not, but it is a dinosaur.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.