Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best business SYD-LAX? Virgin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
But Fiji is still the 2-2-2 seats and not true flat so that makes them angle - VERY slight angle and having to climb over your seat buddy if stuck by the window sucks.

Fiji doesnt even rate when compared to VA J seats.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Osmo
But Fiji is still the 2-2-2 seats and not true flat so that makes them angle - VERY slight angle and having to climb over your seat buddy if stuck by the window sucks.

Fiji doesnt even rate when compared to VA J seats.
nah disagree, but also Fiji Airways cheaper non-refundable bus class is 1/2 the price of Virgin + get to stop over in fabulous Fiji, paid for with the massive savings.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Nobody should be rating Fiji seats above the others mentioned here. Specifications wise, there is no comparison whatsoever.

Compare to VA:

Width: Fiji 22, VA 23
Length: Fiji 60, VA 80
Fully flat? Fiji NO (although close), VA YES
All seats direct aisle access: Fiji NO, VA YES
Not quantifiable:
- VA has more overall space and more storage space, despite the actual seat width being similar.
- VA has an in-flight bar

The direct aisle access is the biggest factor that most see as a large step in comfort. 2/3 of the FJ cabin either has to crawl over another pax to get out or has another pax crawling over them. For the Fj destinations, like HA it makes some sense because lots of couples do travel this route. But for a single traveler, it is a much worse experience.

Is FJ the best value? Maybe, that is another question though.
Osmo likes this.

Last edited by CPMaverick; Apr 3, 2018 at 2:08 am
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

so fly FJ & if flying alone, get a middle aisle seat, so no one climbing over you.

The bula bid system, means you can upgrade for very little, from any economy fare.

With fares SYD/LAX/SYD starting at around $799 & do long haul upgrades from $865/sector it's incredibly cheap.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:26 pm

Again, cheap or a good value was not the question, it was who has the best J on the route. FJ isn't on the radar. Trying to grab one of the 33% of seats without someone clambering over you is a good option, but not always possible, and you are still sitting very close to the stranger nearby (compared to other options, where you might even have aisle + window and no neighbor!).
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:02 pm
Suspended

ahhh no. FJ is definitely on my radar. Sat in middle seat & was not very close to anyone. For less than $2600 to go economy SYD/NAN/SYD & business class NAN/LAX/NAN, NAN/SFO/NAN, NAN/SFO + LAX/NAN or v.v. is incredible value & will do it every time, plus option to stopover in Fiji !!!!!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 3:12 pm

I feel like you aren't even reading my posts. The question was what the best seat is. Not the best value. I agree FJ can be a great value. But the best seat? Not in the discussion.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Agreed Fiji seats leave a lot to be desired the angled lie-flat is very noticeable & not forgetting you tend to get 737-800 recliners with limited pitch for the Syd-Nan sector.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:29 pm

I'd agree on Virgin Australia being best for SYD-LAX. Wide spacious comfortable seat in 1-2-1, good stowage around the seat to keep some of your inflight kit handy, very good meals and of course that bar – it makes quite a difference, and also makes the flight seems shorter because you can easily spend 1-2 hours sipping a drink or two, enjoying nibblies and chatting with fellow travellers. Easily the best business class seat and business class experience on this route. The only drawback IMHO is Virgin's relatively meagre IFE library. Now you don't need a lot of movies or TV shows to get you from Sydney to LA, but I think many travellers appreciate variety so they have ample choice, and the variety of content is lacking on Virgin. That aside, and taking lounges out of the equation (which is the bigger win for Qantas, at least at LAX for business class / QFF Gold and at both ends if you hold QFF Platinum status), Virgin would be my pick for SYD-LAX.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended

most days there are 2 to 3 SYD/NAN flights with FJ. Almost always is a direct flight SYD to LAX, on A330 the whole way.

A couple of dates in FEB eg. 7FEB there was no A330 SYD/NAN for some reason (probably regular maintence as Feb is a very quiet month for travel, which is why you could get $749 return SYD/LAX direct in both directions)

Have to disagree. FJ is by far the best value business class & therefore the best business class.

Am 6 foot 6 inches & fit very well into FJ business class. You just have to play with seat adjustments for a few minutes to get a perfect sleep.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Once Deltas 777 get the suites installed Delta will be the best Syd LAX business class. Followed by VA IMO. After that UA, QF, then AA. ( AAs business seat as a “rocking “ issue when your seat moves, your neighbor also feels it.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:53 am

I'm not convinced about the DL 'suites'. It's just a door, and they don't look very comfortable. But, I haven't flown them yet.Have you flown the DL A350 'suites' and VA?

Just look at how tight the door is to this (small statured) man's arm... and how close the screen and tray table are to him. It seems really tight and from what I've heard, there is no storage either.

https://news.delta.com/sites/default...e%20suite2.jpg

Last edited by CPMaverick; Jul 15, 2018 at 6:02 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Just look at how tight the door is to this (small statured) man's arm... and how close the screen and tray table are to him. It seems really tight and from what I've heard, there is no storage either.

https://news.delta.com/sites/default...e%20suite2.jpg
It does look tight; I guess a door/wall will stop body parts protruding as can happen on QF's suites on the aisle.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by KarenH
I flew LAX->SYD on UA business class in December. It was wonderful. Lie-flat seats, warm and cozy blanket, excellent food and service, great entertainment. I watched an entire season of House of Cards. What more could anyone want?
Richard Branson's private plane
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
So if we assume it's LAX-SYD non-stop (excluding FJ, NZ, AC, HA)... I've flown VA, AA, QF, UA in J. Mind you, this is UA pre-Polaris

Sitting and Sleeping Seat: VA > AA > QF > UA
Service: QF > VA > AA > UA
Lounge: QF (assuming Platinum) > AA > VA > UA
Food: VA > AA > QF > UA
WiFi: VA > AA > UA > QF
Amenity/PJs: AA > VA > QF > UA
Drink: QF (wine)=VA (bar) > AA > UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.