Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Does converting from Krisflyer extend validity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:50 am
Original Poster

I'm outside Australia and have some Velocity miles expiring in a month. I see I can convert miles to Velocity from Krisflyer. Wondering if this will extend my Velocity miles expiration.

I have points in all the major transferable currencies in the US (UR, TYP, MR) but can't see Velocity as a direct transfer partner for any of them.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by QFCHC
I'm outside Australia and have some Velocity miles expiring in a month. I see I can convert miles to Velocity from Krisflyer. Wondering if this will extend my Velocity miles expiration.

I have points in all the major transferable currencies in the US (UR, TYP, MR) but can't see Velocity as a direct transfer partner for any of them.
According to this https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/content/ProgramBenefits/LatestNews/program-updates-022016/
at FAQ #6 . It says SiA transfer points are included.

Never done it personally.

Another option is buy something small through e-bay.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Thx. How long does the ebay option take to credit? And ebay US works? It's not an AU version of ebay?

I'll probably try the Singapore option. Will report back with data point when I do whatever I do.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Hmmmm. Minimum miles to transfer is 5000 and I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have to.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by QFCHC
Thx. How long does the ebay option take to credit? And ebay US works? It's not an AU version of ebay?

I'll probably try the Singapore option. Will report back with data point when I do whatever I do.
Ebay takes 28 days to credit.

You have to login in through the Velocity website so it should default the AU site.

Other options - hire a car for the day and put your Velocity down rather than another FF.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

So there's no option like buying an itunes song that would get credited quicker?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
DL mileage run is an option. A rental car is another option.

If you have any way to earn Flybuys points, you can transfer those to Velocity. Even create an account and get someone in Australia to buy something locally and scanning your card. You'd need enough for a transfer, but there are enough bonus offers out there you can probably get them.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Not sure why I didn't think of this before but I ended up transferring 5000 Velocity to Krisflyer to reset the clock. Always sucks to 'lose' miles due to a less than 1:1 conversion ratio but this was by far the quickest and easiest option. I'd considered transferring miles in to Velocity but not transferring them out!
serfty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.