Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Easily requalified for gold, but forgot to actually fly VA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VAG

I just got an email from VA informing me that although I've collected 870 status credits this year it seems I've only actually taken one qualifying flight on VA itself. I did a little bit of domestic travel, but used points for everything. Drat!

It had just completely slipped my mind that I needed to do qualifying VA sectors as well as get enough status credits.

It's probably not worth the money to do a three-segment journey just to maintain gold. So I guess I'm not really asking for advice, nor am I complaining that it's unfair (so you don't need to tell me "you should have read the conditions, bro"), I'm just kinda saying that it cheeses me off.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Not all is lost ... what date did you earn the first of those 870 SC and/or what date did you earn the 270th?

Complete the three flights within 12 months of the latter date and you'll have gold.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Actually just calculate what date put you up to the first 470 SC, cuz you'd still have 400 left for re-qualifying and probably some time up your sleeve for the extra segments.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: Some
Towards the end of last year I calculated I would have hit Virgin Platinum at over 1000SC if I allocated my flights to Velocity, but would have been 7 sectors short.. Glad I read that bit.. Allocated it elsewhere in the end.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Three sectors could be done very cheaply, especially if you actually need to go somewhere as opposed to doing a true MR. I think VA Gold is fairly useful to have, as an Australia based flyer - for the sake of 3 sectors I'd probably manufacture a need to go somewhere for the weekend
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
You could also do a deal for Family Pooling with someone who's got a few sectors in excess
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by RTWFF
You could also do a deal for Family Pooling with someone who's got a few sectors in excess
I read that eligible sectors do not pool. Has this changed?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by FlossieFlyer
I read that eligible sectors do not pool. Has this changed?
Status credits pool, and the blurb specifically mentions attaining a higher status as one of the benefits. The membership section defining eligible sectors is silent on that, as is the family pooling section. It's an interesting question
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Yes it is vague, but from my experience and others (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...e-sectors.html)

The eligible sectors remain with the person who flew them.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
Yes it is vague, but from my experience and others (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...e-sectors.html)

The eligible sectors remain with the person who flew them.
Exactly!

Pool points/SC's all you want, but to get PS/SG/WP you need to travel those 2/4/8 segments yourself.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
What about when you soft land from say platinum to gold? do you have to have flown the 4 sectors to keep gold or is it yours regardless?
Old May 4, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
What about when you soft land from say platinum to gold? do you have to have flown the 4 sectors to keep gold or is it yours regardless?
You don't need any segments or any SC's for a soft landing (WP to SG or SG to PS).
Old May 6, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
You don't need any segments or any SC's for a soft landing (WP to SG or SG to PS).
Cheers. I'm not there yet but just doing some forward planning for later
Old May 15, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I am potentially in the same boat. I'm currently *A Gold but that's not much use to me here in Australia because I'm fortunate enough to pay for J on long hauls.

I fly VA domestically and over recent years have had AB Gold which provided me lounge access, priority checkin etc. But alas that will soon come to an end so I'm looking for a new FF program.

VA with family pooling would see me get Gold and probably platinum (I haven't done the final maths) from one return J to Europe with me and the +1 each year. (Booking flights originating in ARN has SQ with consistently great fares.)

EXCEPT I wouldn't actually fly any VA sectors. So I need to go back to the drawing board and choose another program or what is a creative and cheap way of clocking up 4 or 8 sectors from Sydney each year?

Any thoughts? (Pardon the long rambling introduction.)
Old May 16, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
A little confused, you say:

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I fly VA domestically...
But then you say:

Originally Posted by sydunipete
EXCEPT I wouldn't actually fly any VA sectors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.