Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Your entire A330 transcon gourmet "The Business" dinner choice tonight is CARROT SOUP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your entire A330 transcon gourmet "The Business" dinner choice tonight is CARROT SOUP

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Your entire A330 transcon gourmet "The Business" dinner choice tonight is - "CARROT SOUP"

I kid you not.

Last Tuesday we flew PER-SYD in Business Class on the heavily promoted and much hyped A330 “The Business” new configuration aircraft, on the evening flight.

The A330 flight over SYD-PER was fine. Nice breakfast, with a lot of choice, as one would except. Nice printed menu, with all sorts of wine and food options.

One page of the SYD-PER menu is shown below, waxing lyrical of how wonderful it all is in “The Business”

The new style lie flat beds are very nice, and we caught a few hours' sleep on the 5 hour SYD-PER flight after a nice breakfast. 10 out of 10 on the way across.

Coming home a totally different ball game sadly.

We were seated for probably 10-15 mins before a FA ever came near us with an offer of any kind of juice etc, and that was just before doors closed, allowing for only a sip or 2. No menu of any kind in sight this flight, in either of our centre seats.

FA - “will you be joining us for Dinner this evening Mr Sxxxxxxxx”

ME – “Yes - I think so, as I have not eaten, and looking forward to the new options - what choices do we have tonight please - there appears to be no Menu here for some reason?”

FA – “Carrot Soup is our option tonight”

ME – “Urrggh. I do not like carrots, so I’ll skip that entree then - what are the main meal courses that you have?”

FA – “Carrot Soup - that’s ALL we have tonight for dinner actually”.

Me – “Soup??? What about the much touted in writing Luke Mangan A330 "Fabulous Three Course Gourmet Menu" etc?”

FA – “Sorry Carrot Soup is all we have loaded tonight. But we do have some potato crisps etc I can get you a pack of, if you like?”

ME – “Forget about it thanks – I may as well watch a movie, or get some sleep”.

I’ve flown over three million airmiles in my life, near all of it in premium cabins, on pretty much the full gamut of global carriers. So I have a good idea of what is 'normal'.

Not one has EVER offered a ridiculous sounding “Carrot Soup” dinner menu choice for a 4 hour type flight, on a flagship aircraft and route, in the premium cabin.

“The Business” costs about $2000 one way PER-SYD. There are very often sale economy fares for $150-$200 one way.

I am sure economy class passengers on the flight got something more interesting than “Carrot Soup” for their $150 tickets.

We are Platinum members, so have lounge access and baggage privileges already, (and choice of best seats in advance in economy of course) so why on earth would anyone sane choose to pay for Business Class ex Perth? At $1,850 extra one way, to dine on "Carrot Soup" and an unknown wine selection?

Mr Borghetti and Team really should take a good hard look at the evening menu ex Perth. The MEL flight leaves just before the SYD one, and no idea if “Carrot Soup” was their sole fate as well on the A330.

They need to amend all the press and TV ads to be truthful and re-write the on board menus to save the ACCC taking an interest in the highly misleading claims. To say now -"We only really try or bother in ONE DIRECTION folks. But we charge the same."

We all know the Mining Boom has crashed in WA, and the full fare Mining Company tickets will NOT be automatically bought these days. Virgin and Qantas are committed to the A330 transcons, and I'll BET Qantas offers something more enticing than "Carrot Soup" meals to $2000 passengers, to entice bookings.

Clearly some passengers will CHOOSE to skip dinner - that’s true of every flight globally. However having something decent boarded to OFFER them is standard, and for those who choose to stay up and watch movies, or do some work etc.

A great disappointment, and a week later I am still shaking my head in disbelief at the much hyped “The Business” experience being in fact the “The Bland And Boring”.

Anyone else here scored the "Carrot Soup" dinner choice?

Glen

Menu extracts from SYD-PER. No menu PER-SYD and Zero choice either.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:02 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Some people cannot see the Forrest for the trees, sigh.

The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution. Paul Cezanne.

If you truly get in touch with a piece of carrot, you get in touch with the soil, the rain, the sunshine. You get in touch with Mother Earth and eating in such a way, you feel in touch with true life, your roots, and that is meditation. If we chew every morsel of our food in that way we become grateful and when you are grateful, you are happy. Thich Nhat Hanh
Old Mar 6, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
What was the scheduled departure time of this 'carrot soup' flight?
Old Mar 6, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Same time as it is each evening Ross - 10.55pm, and it was on time.

Maybe I should have said 'YES' just to see how Luke Mangan managed to make the much advertised - "Fabulous Three Course Gourmet Menu" out of ...... carrot soup.

Glen
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wasn't the Pantry menu available (or offered)?

http://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/gr..._c1_drinks.pdf
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps

FA – “Carrot Soup is our option tonight”

ME – “Urrggh. I do not like carrots, so I’ll skip that entree then - what are the main meal courses that you have?”

FA – “Carrot Soup - that’s ALL we have tonight for dinner actually”.

Me – “Soup??? What about the much touted in writing Luke Mangan A330 "Fabulous Three Course Gourmet Menu" etc?”

FA – “Sorry Carrot Soup is all we have loaded tonight. But we do have some potato crisps etc I can get you a pack of, if you like?”
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you specifically ask about the "Pantry menu"?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ross you do not get it.

There were NO menus.

I was offered a bag of chips, if I was not interested in the "Carrot Soup".

If you feel that or "Carrot Soup" or a bag of chips is a satisfactory replacement for the advertised "Fabulous Three Course Gourmet Menu" on a $200 flight, well you are very easily pleased.

Someone flying this alleged "Business" fight for the fist time would not ask for Lobster Mornay, Alligator Steaks, or Jellied Eels or Puffin Fricassee, as it was clear the meal choice was - "Carrot Soup".

I guess I could have handed the FA a $5 bill ask asked her to buy me a Luke Mangan sandwich from down the back.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not missed any point ... my question was:
Originally Posted by serfty
Did you specifically ask about the "Pantry menu"?
Your answer is one of: "Yes" or "no" or "I do not know".

This is related to a snack food offering available supposedly on any flight in VA domestic business ... just by asking.
If not offered it seems you have to specifically ask to see "The Pantry Menu".

Some FA's can't be bothered ... I think you had a dud.

Here's the pantry menu: http://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/gr..._c1_drinks.pdf (back page).

Also, here is your carrot soup menu: http://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/gr..._c1_supper.pdf I too agree this is terrible ...

Last edited by serfty; Mar 7, 2016 at 3:13 am
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serfty

Also, here is your carrot soup menu: http://www.virginaustralia.com/cs/gr..._c1_supper.pdf I too agree this is terrible ...
Well done sourcing a menu - neither of us got one for PER-SYD. Font is same as the SYD-PER above so looks like "The Business".

Agree it is appalling, and there is zero choice - inexplicable and totally unacceptable for a flagship route on a widebody.

I may even mail HQ on this .... I bet Borghetti himself does not realise this joke is the only hot meal dinner choice they offer.

Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Agree it is appalling, and there is zero choice - inexplicable and totally unacceptable for a flagship route on a widebody.
What do you mean? you can have it with or without chicken

But seriously, I agree with you - it is a pretty poor offering...
Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:51 pm

A choice of breads can't classified as a course!
Old Mar 8, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I agree it's a bit poor, but I don't think it's a complete outrage - after all it's a late evening redeye flight of less than 4 hours actual flying time (block time is 4h 10min), for which one proper meal (breakfast) *is* served. It's far from unheard of on other airlines with short, late-night departure redeyes in premium classes to have only the breakfast served without any real alternative option. At least VA does give you some kind of option: the soup + chicken + bread + dessert is at least a passable light supper, and could be augmented by the pantry offering (if only your FA wasn't too lazy to offer it).

On that flight, I think the vast majority of pax would want to go straight to sleep, so VA's offering reflects that. It seems to me that the FA's handling of the situation is the main problem here... though I agree that given VA focus on high quality food as a differentiator, they could have tried a bit harder.

On the other hand, I'm interested (and heartened) to read that you rated the breakfast highly. When I flew the route in the middle of last year, the SYD-PER breakfast was utterly lacklustre, while the PER-SYD dinner (on the mid-afternoon departure) was sensational. Service from the FAs was exemplary on both, as it happens. I'm flying it again on the same flights in a couple of weeks time, and was not particularly looking forward to the breakfast offering, but based on your account I'm hopeful it has actually improved. What was on offer for your SYD-PER flight?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:38 am

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
The supper options on the red-eye A330 flights used to be a choice of something a little more substantial (e.g. pie) or soup.... looks like now it's just soup. Not good VA...

BTW the 3 course menus (which are fantastic btw) have never been offered on the overnight flights from Perth... has always been a light supper (single course on a tray) then breakfast. Another good reason to avoid that flight...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Another reason not to fly the red-eye!.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.