Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin vs qantas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by shillard
Virgin, no contest.

I've simultaneously held Platinum status with both, so I'm reasonably qualified to comment. After more than a decade as a hard-core Qantas loyalist, today I take maybe 10% of my flights on Qantas/ DeathStar.

There is NO culture of Customer Service at Qantas. Individual staff members might have it, but the company does not. Virgin does - this difference is at the core of the disparity between the two airlines.

Qantas has lost the plot, with no prospect of recovering it anytime soon.
Yeah, actually the main thing that caused me to get pissed off at QF originally was a rude checkin woman at SYD. Not her initial rude comment, ("geez, do I have to tell you everything twice?") but the fact that when I asked for her name so I could complain about her, she not only refused to give it to me but threatened that if I pushed the matter she'd say I threatened to assault her and that her colleagues on either side (who had not actually been paying attention to our conversation) would back her up as witnesses.

So yes, I agree, there are some pretty serious customer service problems at QF. Most are fine, but there's some deeply disturbing corners of public service attitude in some corners of the airline.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Another vote for VA. Better
- earning
- burning
- availability
- attitude - eg fly-ahead
- lounge entrance from street (Sydney domestic)
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:53 pm
In memoriam

I know I'm late coming in to this discussion but for me, it's now VA always. I've held VA and QF plat for a couple of years but am about to let QF expire for most of the reasons harryhv outlines. QF are making it harder all the time to burn points and the $ cost for points flight is outrageous compared to VA.

It's taken me a couple of years to come to this decision to let QF Plat go (I'll really miss the SYD first lounge!) but VA is just a better deal all round, imho.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
I would go with VA as QF lost its value for money at least 7 years ago
Old Feb 22, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by garethlewis
I would go with VA as QF lost its value for money at least 7 years ago
What will be interesting is to see how anything changes now that 35% of Velocity is owned by a private equity fund.

Changes such as those being made in the US by Southwest, Delta and United to their programs lead me to believe the Australian programs have room for further 'enhancements'. But related to the topic, Qantas will always be the first to 'enhance', and make the deepest 'enhancements'.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Question Virgin vs Qantas

i looked at the Qantas re-qualifying for gold table (they have a gold status matching programme currently ) and at first glance qantas needs 600SP verses 400SP on virgin to retain gold
On similar flights do you have to fly 50pc more on qantas to retain gold against retaining gold on virgin?
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The SC earning for Oz domestic travel has the same bands since "Simpler and Fairer™" was implemented, so yes. (0-750,751-1500 & 1501+ miles earns 10/20/40, 15/30/60 & 20/40/80 respectively in Disc Econ./Flex. Econ./Business)
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Beano
i looked at the Qantas re-qualifying for gold table (they have a gold status matching programme currently ) and at first glance qantas needs 600SP verses 400SP on virgin to retain gold
On similar flights do you have to fly 50pc more on qantas to retain gold against retaining gold on virgin?
For NZ residents only - http://qantasgold.qantas.com/
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Talking Nz residents only

Originally Posted by vbroucek
For NZ residents only - http://qantasgold.qantas.com/
Yeah I saw that ... I just relocated back to nz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.