Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding because of coffee bought after security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding because of coffee bought after security

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by mediclawyer
...they had clear signage at the coffee cart saying that you can't bring hot beverages onto the aircraft. Not that this would stop all of the complaining, but at least you'd be warned before you spent your $5 on your flat white.
Jetstar seems to blare it over the PA before they start boarding (well atleast ex AKL). Never seen VA do the same, although do remember taking coffee on VA(NZ Ltd) ex-akl with coffee and no problems.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:50 pm

Smile Denied boarding because of coffee bought after security

Makes sense, why would you want people holding coffee in one hand while juggling their bags with the other, sure-fire recipe for spills and stress and boarding delays. Wait for the FAs to serve you coffee after the flight has taken off, not a big deal at all, learn to live and let live bro.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, BA, Air Canada, Delta
Hot drinks OK if contained

A policy that balances the needs for safety and customer satisfaction would allow people to board with hot drinks if and only if the drink is in a container with a lid.

Originally Posted by Often1
I only wish that all carriers had this policy everywhere. This is not a security issue (the one about liquids from certain stations), but rather about the dangers of spilling hot drinks as one walks down the aisle.

Hot drinks, when served onboard, are served at the seat and by trained FA's who presumably know when to serve and not.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by fnorman
A policy that balances the needs for safety and customer satisfaction would allow people to board with hot drinks if and only if the drink is in a container with a lid.
Of course, who can guarantee the lid has been properly put on?

Aside from that, squeeze a paper coffee cup with the lid firmly attached - the lid pops off soon enough! Now envisage a rollaboard in one hand, a firmly lidded paper coffer cup in the other and now mix with an inadvertent loss of balance.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by Mr H
Selective reading. It actually says further up : "However, for safety reasons and to minimise smell, hot food or hot drinks cannot be brought onboard."
Agree that the linked Q&A is not entirely clear (or possibly accurate), but cavemanzk is quite correct, both that Air NZ are very welcoming of hot drinks being brought on board domestically, and that Jetstar very clearly communicate that it is prohibited. IIRC the Air NZ change was made 5-10 years ago as part of a review of domestic inflight service and I believe required CAA approval.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Aside from that, squeeze a paper coffee cup with the lid firmly attached - the lid pops off soon enough! Now envisage a rollaboard in one hand, a firmly lidded paper coffer cup in the other and now mix with an inadvertent loss of balance.
Totally agree with that, diposable coffee cups, are not a secure holder of liquids.

Given various court cases around the world, I suspect the rule it to stop someone suing the airline for burns caused by what should have been a forseeable risk by the airline.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Mr H
nor have I seen people trying to take on hot food.
I must be out of luck...

I have seen people bring on a pizza in a big pizza box (then expect the crew to dispose of it) as well as people bringing on MacDonalds... Not to mention the smell it imposes on fellow pax
Old Jan 13, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by moa999
Given various court cases around the world, I suspect the rule it to stop someone suing the airline for burns caused by what should have been a forseeable risk by the airline.
The pedant in me says it would be scalding, not burning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.