Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding because of coffee bought after security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding because of coffee bought after security

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Of course Americans are unlikely to spill hot drinks during boarding - they have 94kg suitcases the size of coffins on which to stabilise them, and plenty of time to consume any hot drinks while waiting for the person in front to man-handle their 94kg coffin into the overhead bin.

No danger can ensue.

The OP could always have taken a leaf out of the Qantas book, and requested that the Australian Government replace his coffee because Virgin took it....
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Different country, different rules. There are arguments for and against it but it is what it is.

My advice: drink as much coffee as you can. Put remainder in bin. Get on plane.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
Different country, different rules. There are arguments for and against it but it is what it is.

My advice: drink as much coffee as you can. Put remainder in bin. Get on plane.
...and don't feel that because you're not forced to become a performer in the Security Shoe Ballet or other obscure theatrics that occur "back home" that our security is lax. Not only do I feel safer travelling in Australia than I would in the LOTFAP, we get through security a lot quicker than they do.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Its a weird policy some airlines even encourage it, NZ has takeaway cups in there lounges so that you can a barrista made coffee on the plane with you.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Shoot, we bought Dulce de leche in the Buenos Aires airport PAST security a couple years ago and were forced to leave them behind due to the "no liquids" rule.
Now if you had been flying to Australia and your Dulce de Leche was produced in Argentina it would have been confiscated by Agriculture on arrival anyway. If it was from Uruguay you could have kept it.

Last edited by 3544quebec; Dec 14, 2013 at 2:33 am
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Its a weird policy some airlines even encourage it, NZ has takeaway cups in there lounges so that you can a barrista made coffee on the plane with you.
Air New Zealand does not encourage it, it prohibits it: https://airnzcaus.custhelp.com/app/a...tail/a_id/1744
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nux
You do not need to show your boarding pass or ID to go through security when travelling domestically. You do not need to remove shoes etc when going through security.
However, I think you would struggle to find many air security incidents that have occurred in Australia because of the security practices used which could have been prevented with American style security.
You don't even need to be flying to go through security. Best. Thing. Ever.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by erik123
She had third degree burns, required multiple operations/skin grafts and only asked to reimbursed for medical expenses (which McD) refused.
to her genitals, after McD was warned repeatedly that the coffee was served at an unsafe temperature.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Removed 5+ posts of OT chatter and response thereto. Lets be civil...

Regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Originally Posted by kthpence
Yes, that's what the woman told me...but what is unsafe about it? You can get coffee on board the plane, so I don't understand why it's unsafe to bring your own coffee on the plane that is purchased post security.

Flying from SYD-MEL and, back in October, from SYD-CNS, I never had to take off my shoes, belt, hat, jacket, watch, wallet, phone or take my laptop out of my bag. I also brought in two opened containers of water and juice (forgot they were in my bag) and nobody said anything.

I also travel with a nebulizer that usually gets swabbed down in the states, or at the very least taken out of the bag and run through the x-ray on its own. Not here. I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing, I think that the states are over-the-top in their security at airports, but I can't say that the security in Australia has been nearly as scrutinizing as it is in the US. So, with my past experiences in Australia compared to those in the sates, I'd consider their security to be lax.
Australia is a different country to the USA ,security wise Australia has different factors to security in the USA and its rules are made and enforced accordingly.

I hope that you did not feel uncomfortable travelling to another country where things are different and done differently to what you encounter at home.

Last time I checked thats one of the factors why people travel, to go somewhere different where the customs are different.

Australia has not had a hijacking or a terrorist action for many years.

ID is checked at check in, and at the gate, but you do not need to show ID to go thru security to get into the secure area.

Domestically this means you can go to the gate and kiss a loved one goodbye - equally you can be at the gate when the flight arrives and kiss a loved one hello.

International is different. We check your immigration status if you want to leave our country, in yours you just walk onto a plane regardless if it is international or domestic.

I always think that when you are a guest in someone elses home - you should not criticise how they run their house - it may not be what you do at home, but its not your home.

Equally when you are a guest in another country, do not criticise - you are a guest here and it is impolite to be critical.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:19 pm

Virgin Australia also has takeaway cup in their lounges too
Old Dec 27, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Bluesky
Virgin Australia also has takeaway cup in their lounges too
I always wonder whether takeaway cups for coffee are a cost saving measure aimed at lounge visitors disposing of their own dirty cup rather than having lounge staff collect and wash crockery...
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:13 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Mr H
Air New Zealand does not encourage it, it prohibits it: https://airnzcaus.custhelp.com/app/a...tail/a_id/1744
If you refer to the section "Domestic Services", it only states that you can't take hot food on board.

Meals are not provided on Domestic services within New Zealand. However tea, coffee, water and a biscuit are provided. Customers are welcome to bring their own cold snacks onboard. For safety reasons, hot food cannot be brought onboard. Customers with special dietary requirements or children and infants are encouraged to bring their own food for consumption during the flight.
Staff in the NZ lounges are always happy to make you coffee takeaway so that you can take it on the plane, there is normally a large que in AKL just before the early flights board to WLG/CHC. Never been stop from taking a hot drink onboard.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
If you refer to the section "Domestic Services", it only states that you can't take hot food on board.
Selective reading. It actually says further up : "However, for safety reasons and to minimise smell, hot food or hot drinks cannot be brought onboard."
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:47 am

It would be great if....

...they had clear signage at the coffee cart saying that you can't bring hot beverages onto the aircraft. Not that this would stop all of the complaining, but at least you'd be warned before you spent your $5 on your flat white.

I'm much more shocked/amused/interested by some of the other odd things about Australia- like how, in a country with millions of cows, you still have to pay $50 for a belt.

Scot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.