Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding because of coffee bought after security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding because of coffee bought after security

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GoingMyWay
Seems ridiculous. Methinks one would be more likely to spill the hot coffee that's served in flight if there's a little bit of turbulence vs walking down the aisle while the plane is sitting stationary on the ground.
During the boarding of the aeroplane , there are a lot of people walking around , getting into seats, putting bags in the lockers etc and so a much more likely chance of getting the hot drink spilled

During flight, hot drinks are not served whilst there is turbulence
Old Dec 12, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: US Airways Silver Preferred, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
During the boarding of the aeroplane , there are a lot of people walking around , getting into seats, putting bags in the lockers etc and so a much more likely chance of getting the hot drink spilled

During flight, hot drinks are not served whilst there is turbulence
In my limited travels on domestic USA flights I've never seen a passenger spill a drink (hot or cold) during the boarding process. Not to say it doesn't happen, I've just never witnessed it.

I agree that hot drinks aren't served if there is heavy turbulence during the beverage service, but that's not to say that it couldn't be smooth flying and then suddenly you encounter turbulence after your hot coffee has already been handed to you.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by kthpence
ironically, the coffee stand was next to the gate.
It's like rain on your wedding day. Or the good advice you just didn't take.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
A couple of years ago was flying back from Belfast City to LGW and a guy was politly told he couldn't take his coffee on board so he just stood aside drinking it and then boarded.

Had another similar experience at LCY with I think LX. So VA are not totally on their own with this policy.

I can see why some airlines don't like it - chance of it spilling with all the commotion that happens during boarding.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
So VA are not totally on their own with this policy.
I'm just surprised people think you might be allowed to take hot drinks onto planes. I have never witnessed this in many years of flying - nor have I seen people trying to take on hot food. It's just not the done thing. Out of interest, what were our coffee drinkers proposing to do with their empty cup once they had finished it? Ask the cabin crew to come round and do a pre-take off litter collection?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by Mr H
I'm just surprised people think you might be allowed to take hot drinks onto planes. I have never witnessed this in many years of flying - nor have I seen people trying to take on hot food. It's just not the done thing. Out of interest, what were our coffee drinkers proposing to do with their empty cup once they had finished it? Ask the cabin crew to come round and do a pre-take off litter collection?
I have seen many people with both, and they generally haven't finished drinking by take-off, or they just hold on to it until after take-off. Although, I don't see why the temperature of their food/drink makes a difference in their rubbish.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by erik123
She had third degree burns, required multiple operations/skin grafts and only asked to reimbursed for medical expenses (which McD) refused.
Initially, yes, but then when the case went to trial.... the jury damages comprised $160,000 to cover medical expenses and compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages - so she was definitely seeking more by that stage (the trial judge reduced the final verdict to $640,000, and the parties settled for a confidential amount before an appeal was decided)

Bak to the OP's issue - how long does it take to drink a $4 small espresso anyway???
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:11 pm

It's like rain on your wedding day. Or the good advice you just didn't take.
Except that they are not examples of irony :P
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
It's really not that bad of a policy. I've seen a lot of careless acts during boarding and wouldn't be too happy if someone spilled hot coffee on me. It's somewhat annoying if you don't know about the policy, perhaps there should be a sign at the coffee cart.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Um, I board with hot coffee pretty much every flight I take before 8 a.m. That's literally dozens of flights over the past few years.

This has to be one of the silliest rules I've heard of.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by kthpence
My partner's boarding pass had already been scanned, and the gate attendant said that she had to get on the plane and couldn't wait for me to drink (or throw away my $4 small espresso).
Must be an Aussie thing. People bring drinks on board in the USA.

I would have set the drink down on the floor of the jet bridge and been on my way. Let the FA try to boot you off the plane for "littering".
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie

I would have set the drink down on the floor of the jet bridge and been on my way. Let the FA try to boot you off the plane for "littering".
If the boarding pass hasn't yet been scanned ( as it would seem ) , pretty easy to do

There are signs that do indicate that this restriction applies
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by zoonil
My kids could not board with balloons on the airplane in Milan (Alitalia) flight to New York. So we unhappily left them by the gate and boarded the plane.
Refusing inflated balloons seems like the right thing to do. As the cabin pressure drops with altitude (approx. 2000meter equivalent at 30k feet), they probably explode. Then people spill their coffee.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I suspect you'll find USA is the outlier here, not Australia.

I would have set the drink down on the floor of the jet bridge and been on my way.
I think that's the outcome the GA was hoping for.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:08 am

To be honest, I've never seen anyone bring coffee or any other open container with drinks on board. I fail to picture a situation where someone would hold a coffee cup in one hand, carry on in the other hand and then try to navigate the narrow aisle.

This would be accident waiting to happen and inconsiderate. I'm glad airlines have regulations against this in place.

Last edited by Alex71; Dec 13, 2013 at 3:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.