Wiki Posts
Search

Thai to Virgin transfer at SYD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VAG
Thai to Virgin transfer at SYD

I'm flying into SYD international terminal on Thai, and out on Virgin domestic. These flights are booked on separate PNRs and I doubt there's any way to combine them, since my incoming flight was booked with United FF miles and my domestic flight with cash.

Am I eligible to use the Seamless Transfer? If not, is my best option just to catch the train?

I'm flying in on Thai first class, if that gives me any additional options. (Yes, I know I'm flying First Class and moaning about spending five bucks, it's an award flight )
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
In my experience the international-domestic transfer VA offers is independent of the ticket you arrived with. I think of it as a general service to all people at the international terminal.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, UA Gold, Qantas Silver
I've arrived on United from LAX and used the VA transfer for free to a domestic flight. Much like you've described except I paid for the United flight and VA was an award ticket.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
On a contrary, I have arrived on TG from BKK and continued on VA. On two different revenue tickets and was refused VA's transfer...
Old Aug 28, 2013, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VAG
Hmm, so we have contradictory experiences so far. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask when I get there.

Followup question: I've never actually transferred at SYD before (because I've never not lived in Sydney before!) -- if I'm due to fly in at 7:20am what's a good time to book my flight out? I realise that if my Thai flight is significantly delayed I'll presumably lose my Virgin ticket, but it's probably a risk worth taking versus the cost of buying a ticket when I get there.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Hmm, so we have contradictory experiences so far. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask when I get there.

Followup question: I've never actually transferred at SYD before (because I've never not lived in Sydney before!) -- if I'm due to fly in at 7:20am what's a good time to book my flight out? I realise that if my Thai flight is significantly delayed I'll presumably lose my Virgin ticket, but it's probably a risk worth taking versus the cost of buying a ticket when I get there.
I am always arriving to Australia in business class. Even though, I am giving myself always at least three hours for I->D transfer if not on the same tickets (i.e. no protection) or not having flexible ticket for onward. Customs can take looong time in Sydney. Been there, done that... Was on flight from BKK where every single passenger's luggage was hand searched!!! It took 60 minutes for me to get through customs alone. Later on, I caught up with someone who was in whY - that poor bugger was waiting 3 (three!) hours to get through customes!!! Also transit between International and Domestic terminals can be at times tricky...
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:38 am

check in at the domestic transfer (far left after quarantine exit) and they will provide a complimentary bus transfer ticket
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by lowjhg
check in at the domestic transfer (far left after quarantine exit) and they will provide a complimentary bus transfer ticket
Load of BS!

From http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...al-connections :
Arriving from an International Port into Sydney with a Domestic Connection

You are required to collect your bags from the carousel and clear Customs and Quarantine. Turn left immediately after Quarantine (before entering the Arrivals Hall) and enter the Seamless Transfer Lounge. If you are booked on a formal Codeshare flight (one ticket for the entire journey) check in for your domestic flight at a Virgin Australia check-in counter. Here you will receive a bus pass, to use to transfer to the Domestic Terminal.

Guests who have booked a connecting flight on a separate booking can purchase this bus transfer service for AU$15 at the check-in counter.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
ive been given the airport transfer voucher all the time. I always book separate tickets connecting from SQ economy. Ive done this countless times during the past 2 years and have never encountered the $15 you've mentioned

edit: seriously ive never seen this before. do you know when it was introduced? I went through this in april and never observed anyone paying for bus tickets

Last edited by lowjhg; Aug 31, 2013 at 3:26 am
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:22 am

ive been given the airport transfer voucher all the time. I always book separate tickets connecting from SQ economy. Ive done this countless times during the past 2 years and have never encountered the $15 you've mentioned

edit: seriously ive never seen this before. do you know when it was introduced? I went through this in april and never observed anyone paying for bus tickets
Maybe it has something to do with your VA WP status... Being VA Silver, I managed to avoid SYD transfer in 2013 (did all my travel via MEL), but was either flatly denied to be served at all or asked for $15 at least twice in 2012. So IMHO this is not new...
Old Aug 31, 2013, 5:23 am

Maybe it has something to do with your VA WP status... Being VA Silver, I managed to avoid SYD transfer in 2013 (did all my travel via MEL), but was either flatly denied to be served at all or asked for $15 at least twice in 2012. So IMHO this is not new...
I dont remember being hassled for $15 prior to attaining VA PS last year though
Old Aug 31, 2013, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The fee has been there for some time - at least before last year.

It is only supposed to be changed when on separate tickets.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:34 pm

I dont remember being hassled for $15 prior to attaining VA PS last year though
Doesn't mean other people won't be. I find it rather disappointing that people on FT are happy to give incorrect answer and when they are corrected (with supporting documents!) they argue and argue...

Be happy that you were not hassled. I was at least two times! Let OP to decide what to do, but give him/her correct information, not your anecdotal evidence.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:56 pm

Plus, if you wanted you could save $9.50 if you paid directly with T-bus in SYD. Link here.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:12 am

Plus, if you wanted you could save $9.50 if you paid directly with T-bus in SYD. Link here.
Train is even cheaper, $5 - link here. I did not say I did not pay them those measly $15. If I can afford RTW in C class, I can afford extra $15 for transfer in SYD.

But that's not the point. Point is that VA does not officially provide free bus if on separate tickets which is contrary to your claim.

Finally got it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.