Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Cheaper to book with code-share partners seperatly!?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Looking at flying Christchurch, NZ to Detroit DTW in august (made this flight before).

Virgin Australia will fly me from Christchurch to LA via Brisbane then put me on a code-share with delta.

Just out of interest I hoped on the delta website to look at how much they would charge for their part of the journey. To my surprise I could book the exact same flight from LA to Detroit for considerably cheaper saving myself a few hundred dollars in the process.

This didn't seem right.
Whats going on here VA?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
VA is charging you for the combined CHC-DTW fare. Seperating CHC-LAX & LAX-DTW will sometimes be less expensive and sometimes more expensive. Welcome to the world of frequent flyers. You will soon discover that sometimes the cheapest way from point a to point b is not what you are led to believe. Good luck and welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Let me add that there are several possible reasons as to why the combined ticket can be more expensive or cheaper than two separate tickets, such as demand differentials, competition, or agreements between airlines where one airline buys seats in bulk from another airline.
Note however that if you book the flights on separate tickets, you will not be protected if a flight is late and you miss the connection.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Note however that if you book the flights on separate tickets, you will not be protected if a flight is late and you miss the connection.
Aren't there ways that you can link PNRs to ensure this doesn't happen? Or does that only work if you have two separate bookings with the same airline?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Aren't there ways that you can link PNRs to ensure this doesn't happen? Or does that only work if you have two separate bookings with the same airline?
You might be able to link the PNRs if they were both VA tickets (and assuming that you are able to find someone at VA who knows how to do it), but I don't think you'd be able to in this scenario (one VA ticket CHC-LAX, one DL ticket LAX-DTW).

Even if you could link the tickets in this manner, it doesn't protect you in case of a misconnect. The only way you're protected is if the entire journey is on a single ticket.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notzac
You might be able to link the PNRs if they were both VA tickets (and assuming that you are able to find someone at VA who knows how to do it), but I don't think you'd be able to in this scenario (one VA ticket CHC-LAX, one DL ticket LAX-DTW).

Even if you could link the tickets in this manner, it doesn't protect you in case of a misconnect. The only way you're protected is if the entire journey is on a single ticket.
My travel insurance covers this.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Wittysparrow
My travel insurance covers this.
You mean Transit Insurance? I'll have to check mine, I have an upcoming trip with two different segments booked with different airlines and PNRs, will be good if this is covered. For some reason I thought it only applied to a transit within a booking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.