Wiki Posts
Search

MXP-AUH-SYD 15hr Layover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF,OZ,AC,VB,BA,SQ, EY, QR
MXP-AUH-SYD 15hr Layover

Booked Premium Economy from Milan to Brisbane with VA via AUH-SYD.

15 Hour overnight in AUH.

Can I expect airline to provide accomodation in AUH? (STPC)

Nothing on ticket or website to indicate.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
At a guess, I would say no - if it wasn't indicated when you bought the ticket, then it's unlikely that you'll get accommodation.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Not sure when you're booked to fly, but I'm having a hard time replicating your reported 15-hour overnight layover.

It should be possible, on most days, to have only a 1h55m layover in AUH, and on others a 4h40m layover, on the basis of the current timetable.

If your 15 hour layover is as a result of not choosing the first available onward flight (even if this was not done deliberately, i.e. if the desired cabin was sold out on that particular day) I think this alone would invalidate your access to any STPC package (which may not even be available anyway).
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:16 am
Original Poster

It is the flight selection that the booking engine on the Virgin website generated. The resulting leg in question is as follows from the itinerary:

Flight EY 88 6:10 flying time with 0 stops.
AIRBUS INDUSTRIE A330-200 Operated By Etihad Airways
From To
MILAN IT ABU DHABI AE Complimentary
Baggage:
09JUN13 09JUN13 Meals Provided: Meal
11:55A 08:05P Status: Confirmed

Flight VA 30 13:45 flying time with 0 stops. BOEING 777-300ER Operated By Virgin Australia Intl
From To
ABU DHABI AE SYDNEY NS Complimentary
Baggage:
10JUN13 11JUN13 Meals Provided: Breakfast/Dinner
10:45A 06:30A Status: Confirmed
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm seeing 4 options suggested by the VA website for that route and date, but indeed the one you booked is the only one showing "Premium Deal" availability.

By all means, ring VA and ask if you can have an STPC. Please let us know their response.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Yes, I had sent them an electronic query via their website, but if I do not get a response I shall place the call and post the results. I see there is an airside transit hotel at AUH which will be my back up plan.

Only downside to this seemingly reasonable fare, is that the EY service in economy sounds like it is fairly hit and miss.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I am risking here, but I bet that you won't get anything. Airlines are now rather frugal even in higher classes than Y+.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

OK,

worth adding the question for anyone who has done the EY/VA transit in AUH, do I need to check my bags only as far as AUH and reclaim to be able to clear Customs to stay off airport in a decent hotel - or can my bags remain 'in transit' even though I won't?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by etrust
worth adding the question for anyone who has done the EY/VA transit in AUH, do I need to check my bags only as far as AUH and reclaim to be able to clear Customs to stay off airport in a decent hotel - or can my bags remain 'in transit' even though I won't?
You should have zero problems leaving your bags in transit while you clear customs; I've not actually done this myself (I'd like to see more of the Middle East than just AUH!), but this sort of thing works all over the world .. I can't see that AUH would be any different.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:48 am

Etihad will not give you a hotel. Been there, tried that but to no avail. I suggest you go to the city. Go eat in a nice restaurant (there are normal good restaurants, not everything is bling there). Then you can go walk on the corniche. Around midnight it is getting bearable. And then around 3 you head back to the airport, sit in the comfy chairs or treat yourself to a lounge visit.
Just some suggestions because 15 hours in the airport is torture.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:49 am

well OP did you book the premium deal and if so what does that get you?
otherwise why not go for the cheapest?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Yes I did book it.

BNE-SYD-AUH in PE AUH-MXP in Y.

32kg baggage, which was important for this trip due sporting equipment for Europe - otherwise it would have been SQ, but their miserable 20kg was not going to cut it. Fare, $2400. SQ would have been $2000.

Got an email back from Virgin the other day:

Unfortunately we do not provide accommodation or day rooms for flights with long transit times. This is because you have acknowledged and accepted these flight times before purchase.

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

Kind Regards

Anne

The Virgin Australia Team
And this one:

The maximum through check time for Abu Dhabi flights is 12 hours (including overnight). If you have a 14 hour transit you will need to collect your bags in Abu Dhabi and re-check in 3 hours prior to departure time the next day for your flight to Australia. This is unless the Etihad staff in Milan state otherwise.

I hope this information helps.

If you have any further enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

Kind Regards

Anne

The Virgin Australia Team
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:36 pm

Not sure if there are any special arrangements between EY and VA, but EY will happily check through your baggage for a connection within 24 hours.
I must admit 2x00 for PE is excellent value (even if it's only 2/3rds the way).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.