Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin refused to check bags through to final destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin refused to check bags through to final destination

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. Just spoke with Delta and they are seeking clarification with Virgin as they also feel that making passengers recheck luggage half way through a flight is strange. Bottom line is that if I am paying seperate fares to save money, then I'm happy to recheck luggage, or if it is highlighted that you need to collect you bags 3 stops after you start, then you're aware of it. But if it's promoted as interlined from your point of embarkation to the destination (with the exception of customs) then I think consumers have a right to get what they pay for and not be suprised by smart arrogant staff at the airport. I really appreciate you letting me know that this can be resolved at the Delta transfer desk outside LAX Customs.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:27 am

Programs: QFF Velocity
Good luck Ft1, hope it works out ok! I found Delta airport staff to be very helpful so hopefully you have a similar experience.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:32 am

I am finding this conversation interesting. I have a Velocity Points J Class booking to the US later in the year on VA with DL connections in the US. It ended up being a very complicated process and I provided extensive feedback to VA, who acknowledged the issues well.

One of the key issues I am facing (and concerned about), I ended up with 2 PNRs and on the way out a DJ/VA connection at BNE (return direct to SYD) with the PNRs for the DJ/VA sectors and the other for the DL. I wanted assurance that I could check in my bags at SYD domestic all the way through to my destination (which will have 3 transit points over two PNRs due to the VA system and the connection in LAX to DL will be Y class as I could not get F - concerned about fees with DL) and it was indicated to me that this will be ok.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:39 am

Well... I suspected that it could be the computer and tag problems and it's not the airline's fault. I have looked at the virgin australia's tag. It has got three stops/transit cities only on tag. For example, the tag can be printed "SYD/LAX/Detroit" - no more added as it runs out of space on the tag. I don't think that they will give you another tag on same bag.

I can't understand why the airlines staff cannot explain about the tag problems.

It would be better if you can pick your bags at LAX, then check-in again.

Last edited by Bluesky; Mar 19, 2012 at 4:48 am
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Bluesky
I can't understand why the airlines staff cannot explain about the tag problems.
The OP mentioned he was told by the check in staff they cant have more than 3 destinations on the bag tag.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Bluesky
Well... I suspected that it could be the computer and tag problems and it's not the airline's fault. I have looked at the virgin australia's tag. It has got three stops/transit cities only on tag. For example, the tag can be printed "SYD/LAX/Detroit" - no more added as it runs out of space on the tag. I don't think that they will give you another tag on same bag.

It would be better if you can pick your bags at LAX, then check-in again.
Bingo. At the OP should really tell his daughter that she will have to clear security at LAX anyway. The only line she is going to get out of is the check-in line which is replaced by a shorter but may be just as lengthy transfer line. She will still have to join the extremely long security line anyway. There is no international transit in the US except from certain countries and Australia isn't one of them.

It appears that, but is by no way certain by what has been written, the daughter will be given a boarding pass for all the legs which means that she may be able to use the transfer desk anyway.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. My daughter is in the USA now and I fly in 2 days. We have raised these issues with Flight Centre, Virgin and Delta. What is interesting is that Virgin are telling the agent and ourselves that it is a tag/IT issue. Virgin cannot tag more than 3 stops. However, Delta has sought clarification and have been told that they can tag to final destination and will do it on Thursday when I travel. I certainly do not have any faith that this will happen. Personally, if I can check bags in where I get on the plane and only have to get my bags and clear customs and drop my bags, that's what I prefer to do. I'm sure families also travelling would also like the easy option. Yes, I can recheck my bags in at LAX, but in all my years I have never had to do this. Also as a FF of Delta, when arriving off a Delta flight international (and having cleared customs) and then connecting to a Delta connecting flight, you remain within the confines of the airport and are directed to smaller security lines. After travelling for some 17+ hours alaready, this is appreciated.

My whole point in all of this is that if Virgin can only tag a maximum of 3 stops, why isn't this listed anywhere, why don't agents know about it and why are they promoting that your bags are tagged to your final destination from your domestic airport. This is what they say on their website. I have offered to fly a day earlier and conduct business in Sydney and then just check in with Delta directly. This is not allowed now unless I pay a $210 fee to reissue the ticket. The reason is that Virgin have told Delta that they will tags the bags all the way through. I guess we'll see on Thursday!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Bags update

Hi everyone,
Just an update. I flew out on Thursday and there was no issue with checking bags through this trip. What a change from the week prior. Virgin had honoured what they told Delta and printed 2 baggage tags. One CBR-SYD-LAX and the other to my destination. Staff were great and the whole experience was how it should be. Polite, stress free and easy.

Well done Virgin!
shuuy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:50 am

This forum proves useful. Checked in at Sydney domestic yesterday for a flight to the US via BNE with connections on DL - 4 sectors all up. Initially the check in agent indicated that I could only check bags to MEM (not final destination), and I wanted to avoid bag checking at LAX with DL. Fortunately I had printed out parts of this forum, particularly Frequenttraveller1 last two postings and whilst it took a while, they managed to work out how to tag the bag all the way through. After holding for support (with no answer) the agent nutted it out herself. She was pleasant, but if I didn't know other wise, my bags would have be only partially tagged!
shuuy likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Good stuff - and you helped with the (re)education of the check-in agent.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:35 am

Forgive me if I missed something but I only read the first couple of posts. Put simply if you are on a single PNR wether it's 2 flights or 9 there is no reason a check in agent can not put your luggage all the way through. Even if you have to recheck after checks at LAX your baggage tag can be labeled for its final destination. My partner (years at ansett and nz) is sitting next to me telling me she has done this many times
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Waipara_Sam
Forgive me if I missed something but I only read the first couple of posts. Put simply if you are on a single PNR wether it's 2 flights or 9 there is no reason a check in agent can not put your luggage all the way through. Even if you have to recheck after checks at LAX your baggage tag can be labeled for its final destination. My partner (years at ansett and nz) is sitting next to me telling me she has done this many times
You are correct, I have been doing it for years longer than I can remember, but at the moment, until VA/DJ get onto one system it seems to be an issue, as Frequenttraveller1 and I have experienced. Fortunately it all seemed to work out. Given they can do it, it would appear to be an education rather than a system issue
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Waipara_Sam
Forgive me if I missed something but I only read the first couple of posts. Put simply if you are on a single PNR wether it's 2 flights or 9 there is no reason a check in agent can not put your luggage all the way through. ...
I have come across anecdotes that the checked luggage segment limit is four for many systems
Old Jan 23, 2024, 1:45 pm

12 years and no change with Virgin.

Originally Posted by Frequenttraveller1
The other morning, I checked my daughter in from Canberra for our international flight to Hartford, Connecticut and were stunned to be told that out bags could not be checked through to our final destination. We were flying Virgin & Delta all the way from CBR -BDL. The Virgin staff member delighted in telling me that Virgin could not check bags more than 3 stops and we would have to recheck our bags in Detroit, the stop before Hartford. I explained that my daughter would be in transit and that this was not going to happen. She insisted that the bags could not go through and that she would have to recheck her bags. I had booked through an agent to ensure that all flights were linked on one PnR. I also did this trip on the 29th December and asked if this was a new rule as in all my years I had never heard something so ridiculous and was prompty told no, it was always the case. Strange, because I have had the bags checked through to final destination in the past by both Qantas/Delta and Virgin/Delta as long as the booking was on a single pnr. I was advised by the Virgin staff member that the agent should have informed me that Virgin cannot send bags more than 3 stops. (Of course the agent, had never ever heard of this before and is seeking clarification) This went on for 25 mins or more and the supervisor was absolutely no help. The arrogance of the staff member was unbelievable. Based on this, they only tagged my daughters bags to Sydney where she had to collect her bags from the carousel, leave the terminal, catch the bus outside the terminal over to the international terminal, line up again at the code share partner Delta, wait and check in all over again. Virgin boasts on their website that they are a code share partner of Delta and that you can check in at any domestic airport and get your bags at your final destination! This is listed several times on their site. (Of course, we know that when you arrive in LA you get your bags, clear Customs and then put them back on the transfer trolley while you are in transit), but I have never been told that I would have to collect my bags and check in again halfway through a trip.
I fly this trip at least 4-5 times a year and book the whole family with Virgin/Delta which equals about $25 -$30K a year in fares and am flying to the US again this week. I cannot afford to experience this again and will need to rethink where I put our business if this is the attitude of Virgin staff. There was no reasoning with this female staff member. It's amazing that Qantas who is not a codeshare partner will send your bags all the way, but Virgin who is aligned with Delta WILL NOT even when it is all on the one single intinerary. I imagine Delta would be concerned if they new Virgin staff were refusing to send bags through which is potentially causing their loyalty flyers like myself to move their business. Has anyone else experienced this before and is it a new rule or just incompetent staff? This caused us huge stress the other morning as my daughter was already anxious about flying alone to the USA, let alone having to drag her bags around and check in for a second time.
12 years later and nothing has changed on my return flight to Canada. Need to pick up the bags in Brisbane and recheck at the international terminal.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sb1977 Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Sb1977
12 years later and nothing has changed on my return flight to Canada. Need to pick up the bags in Brisbane and recheck at the international terminal.
What were the details of the flights?
Booked on the same PNR/ticket?
I note from your profile are from CA (Canada)

This thread about VA-DL. DL is no longer a ff partner of VA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.