Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

new to Velocity and question re: Melbourne airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)

Hi everyone, I am new to Velocity - came over from Air NZ on a status match. We are moving to Canberra in a few days and I look forward to flying Virgin Australia/VAustralia. It is terrible that you can't use upgrades on international long-hauls, but at the very least the Y seat is much more comfortable than Air NZ's. (VAustralia's long-haul Y seat is 18.5 inches; Air NZ's is 17.1 inches on their new 773.)

I have a question about the Melbourne airport. I'll be coming in from Auckland on an Air NZ flight and switching to a Virgin Australia flight to Canberra. We will have a lot of bags and my partner has a injury so won't be able to help with the bags (and we also have a preschooler). At the Sydney airport, you collect your bags, go directly to customs, and then you can walk a few feet to the Virgin Australia transfer desk and drop your bags there. Is it like that in Melbourne, or do you have to haul the bags a long way? If so, are there porters easily available?

Also, there's a Velocity lounge available in the Melbourne domestic airport, right? Since I'm platnium, we'll hang out there until our connecting flight.

One last quick question. As Gold Elite on Air NZ, I'm allowed to bring 2 carry on bags. Will this be OK on Virgin Australia?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:27 pm

Programs: QFF Velocity
Hi Birder.

Melbourne Airport is easy to negotiate. There is one building (excludes Tiger LCC shed) - international sits in the middle between Virgin and Qantas. You'll be able to exit Customs, catch a lift or escalator upstairs and check-in for the domestic flight pretty easily. The walk isn't far, you'll just need a couple of trolleys. But not sure about porter service there to help given difficulties.

Virgin lounge at Melbourne is very new and nice. As Platinum, you and three guests will have access. After check-in, there'll be an escalator you go down and then turn left, entrance is then about 50m on right.

There's no differentiation re carry-on and status levels. It's seems to be policed very liberally, only issue may be if you hang out in the lounge too long and get on a semi full plane with lots of bin space already used. Virgin has priority boarding for Plats and Gold so you may want to take advantage of that, but if you miss the first call, it will usually just expedite your place on a packed aerobridge.

Cheers
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birder
..... We are moving to Canberra in a few days....
Welcome to Oz
Click on the link in my signature to go to the Oz Fest CBR thread
All are welcome for 1 activity or the lot !
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by birder
Also, there's a Velocity lounge available in the Melbourne domestic airport, right? Since I'm platnium, we'll hang out there until our connecting flight.
As a newly status matched platinum, I was in the Melbourne lounge for the first time last week. Nice surroundings and a pleasant atmosphere. IMO much better than the Melbourne Koru lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks Mwenenzi for the ozfest plug.

The MEL lounge is huge, and very new and nice. They have showers there too if you need it after a trip from NZ.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Is the Melbourne lounge still before security? I remember I was there in Jan '10, and there was a delay at security, resulting in the "extra special" boarding call for those of us that had been in The Lounge.

Dave

Dave
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by thadocta
Is the Melbourne lounge still before security? I remember I was there in Jan '10, and there was a delay at security, resulting in the "extra special" boarding call for those of us that had been in The Lounge.
Yes, still before security - which can be a pain sometimes but it's a great lounge.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
While the lounge is "landside" and there is one security stations each pier, they both have a priority queue. If you have access to the Lounge than you'll be generally be eligible for the priority queue.

Only issue is that most leaving the lounge when your flight is called will be likely wanting to use the same priority queue.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 5, 2011 at 11:38 pm
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by serfty
While the lounge is "landside" and there is one security stations each pier, they both have a priority queue. If you have access to the Lounge than you'll be eligible for the priority queue.
Even if it is paid access, using the single-entry pass? If so, how will security know, since it isn't on the boarding pass?

Dave
Old Dec 5, 2011, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by thadocta
Even if it is paid access, using the single-entry pass? If so, how will security know, since it isn't on the boarding pass?

Dave
If you have anteed up the $65/$55 to access the lounge on a paid basis I'm sure holding your entry receipt will gain access to the (unpoliced) priority queue.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
If you have anteed up the $65/$55 to access the lounge on a paid basis I'm sure holding your entry receipt will gain access to the (unpoliced) priority queue.
Last couple times I've been at MEL, the priority queue was being policed - a VA staff member was at the entrance to the queue, turning a number of ineligible folk away. Good to see it in operation (especially when the regular queue is quite long..!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.