Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Velocity Status Match Offer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
If you really think the alliance was for the best interest of CONSUMERS, you are really bloody innocent.

Increasing choice? How? Both DJ and NZ are already in the TT market. If anything there has been a DECREASE in choice in NZ domestic market as DJ pulled out last year.

The DJ/NZ alliance is all about reducing the losses/increasing profitability for both airlines, without running foul of AU's competition watchdog (NZ's has no teeth or doesn't want to bite). NZ uses DJ to counter Jetstar while NZ be the opponent of QF. Instead of NZ setting up a LCC or DJ going upscale or joining a global alliance itself, this TT alliance achieves a lot for a very little.

Of course DJ won't take away (yes status-matching is poaching) NZ's "best" customers and vice versa. QF/JQ are the common enemy and their customers are the prime target of this status-matching operation.

Why would anyone want to be Airpoints elites unless they live in the provinces or bound by corporate travel policies, is beyond me. Almost every other Star Alliance FFP is better than NZ's, both earning and burning.

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
It is not poaching. The Tasman Alliance was set up (I thought) as being in the best interets of the consumer and the airlines. We now have a choice on TT to fly with DJ or NZ. What DJ are doing today is saying that they have agreat program,a better and more attractive program than other airlines so come to us - especially the high status players. By denying NZ Airpoints members the same oportuiny surely flies in the face of the Alliance - how can it be in the consumers interest to only allow certain classes of people to join Velocity. That appears to be a reduction in competiton and services for the consumer, not an increase in choice.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Airpoints has its advantages, too. Pretty good on longhaul upgrades, for example. But if you're just after *A Gold and loads of points for free flights, you should go elsewhere. But it's definitely not worse than "almost every other *A program" (have a look at Asian FFPs). Everybody has to choose the program that suits them best. Lets leave the whinging to the poms.

Last edited by cityflyer369; Aug 27, 2011 at 10:37 am
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:16 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Sent in our Garuda Silver status see what we get.

My understanding is that this is about attracting FF from QF who are their main competitor.

So NZ to the islands no biggie for VA
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:48 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by cityflyer369
Everybody has to choose the program that suits them best. Lets leave the whinging to the poms.
Im a pom, now living in Sydney. Can i start whinging now?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:25 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Any word on how long the granted status would be for, ie is it until end 2012?

Also if you are matching a USA airline status, that is done in miles ie 25K is silver, 50K flown is usually gold etc , how does VA's status levels line up?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answers and posts them here
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Can't really answer the second part but the answer to this is that it will be valide for 12 months from the date your status with VA goes through plus (probably) a one month grace period - although all partners may not acknowledge the grace period. So, if it's 1st September 2011 it will be valid til 1st October 2012.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
Originally Posted by morepointsplease
Im a pom, now living in Sydney. Can i start whinging now?

If this gives you some comfort, feel free to do so. I am pretty tolerant person; I moved to BNE from pommieland and my partner is a pom.
I am a Hun btw. Clearly, Huns don't whinge.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Downunder girl

Also if you are matching a USA airline status, that is done in miles ie 25K is silver, 50K flown is usually gold etc , how does VA's status levels line up?

Thanks to anyone who knows the answers and posts them here
If you are 1K they will probably match to "platinum". This would give Virgin Australia lounge access for at least two years, one year as Platinum and another year as Gold.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:29 pm
Company Representative - Virgin Australia

Programs: Velocity Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by edison
Status Match opportunity is a privilege, not a right. So really it is Velocity's choice to set their rules for status match. I think Velocity team is doing a great job on this.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by LOLABUNNY
I am Thai royal orchid plus silver will velocity match that.
Yes

Originally Posted by morepointsplease
Do they match to lifetime silver or will it just be a single year?
Thanks!
We don't have a lifetime status match program, so will be Silver for Silver.

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
So you are saying (and I hope Virgin Representative will confirm) that I can book on any Virgin flight say from Christchurch to Manchester and I will be able to use my NZ Gold card and be treated like a Velocity Gold?
Our alliance partners, AirNZ and Etihad have a codeshare arrangement too so best you investigate what benefits are open to you as a Air NZ gold?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Virgin Australia
Thanks!
We don't have a lifetime status match program, so will be Silver for Silver

thanks - any idea when it will end (will we get any notice?) as i really want it to start from after march next year to get the most out of it..
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Online matches have started coming through

Logged in tonight and am now Plat till 29 Aug 2012
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:54 am

Ive given this one a go, but I dont expect much matching love for a Flying Poo Gold!
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:40 pm
kev

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTG, SPG Titanium
Just did this in lounge in Brisbane flashing my soon to be expired QF Plat card and walked out within 2 mins with a temporary Virgin Platinum card.

Much too easy!
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by JPS76
Ive given this one a go, but I dont expect much matching love for a Flying Poo Gold!
I too have given it a go, but with AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum. Ever hopeful...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
See how my OZ Gold goes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.