Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Free inflight meals in domestic flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free inflight meals in domestic flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
I am sure we would never think it is free - it is not free in the lounge either, but built into the lounge membership product, access charge or frequent flyer scheme status
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:02 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Just wondering how this is handled.....

Do the cabin crew carry the manifest with them, therefore knowing who is entitled to free bevvies and who isn't? (What happens if the passengers switch seats? I suppose more fool them in that case!)

Or do the passengers need to produce boarding passes, indicating what they are entitled to in order to receive what they are entitled to....

just curious about this will work in a cabin when some are entitled to pre-paid stuff, whilst others aren't.

Dave
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:17 am

From what I have seen (being seated in row 3 next to an eligible pax a few times), the CC ask the name of the pax to check it is the person they are expecting, and then offer them a meal tray. All very professional and smooth. If guess if the pax had moved they would try to locate them.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I was really disappointed with the inflight meals as flight attendant didn't have time to sell food when the plane is full and "free" inflight meal doesn't look good and isn't interesting. It has food inside the plastic bag on the white plastic white. It seems to me that it looks like inflight fast food. No free small wine bottle! I think i would stick with Qantas.

Flight attendants didn't have time to sell food. They stopped selling food in the middle of the aircraft and then return to the galley. I heard from the pax that they should be in the front so that they can buy food.

Flight attendant has a pax list so that they know which pax have paid for the meals - all seats.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:03 am

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
How does the free live2air work, does cabin crew swipe eligible seats or is it pre-set?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:01 am

I would be very happy if Virgin Australia offered a similar food/snack service to QF or BA domestic. It would make me even more likely to book DJ (and to recommend it to others). They could always sell food in addition to a free drink and snack service like BA's if they want to keep a sold food component - though I don't think most SH flyers are after the food on the plane as they have the opportunity to eat at the lounge/airport or on arrival in most cases.

But if Virgin Australia cannot introduce this for all pax on cost grounds then I think it is worth considering it for status pax, if they are already doing it for certain fare classes.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:12 am

What is the meal service that passengers on Flexi tickets get? Is it according to the time of day like Qantas (e.g. a Hot Dinner on evening flights, muffins at other times) - do you get free drinks like Qantas after 4pm?

Can't seem to find any information anywhere about it.....just a general "food is served".
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
What is the meal service that passengers on Flexi tickets get? Is it according to the time of day like Qantas (e.g. a Hot Dinner on evening flights, muffins at other times) - do you get free drinks like Qantas after 4pm?

Can't seem to find any information anywhere about it.....just a general "food is served".
anything from the menu.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
anything from the menu.
I am not sure that this is the case. Flying DJ last week, it looked as though, while PE got their choice, the flexi passengers had a fixed food offering, but were able to choose a beverage and IIRC you could choose an alcoholic drink after 4 pm.

Last edited by perthite; Jun 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by perthite
I am not sure that this is the case. Flying DJ last week, it looked as though, while PE got their choice, the flexi passengers had a fixed food offering, but were able to choose a beverage and IIRC you could choose an alcoholic drink after 4 pm.
I have only taken PE and obviously wrongly assumed the full menu extended to Flexi also.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:15 am
`X'

Programs: QFF NB, DJ Gold, A3 Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Carlson Silver, A|Club Gold
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I have only taken PE and obviously wrongly assumed the full menu extended to Flexi also.
Nope, no choice. Was informed by our DJ rep couple of weeks back it is the same food from the menu but there is no choice, it is set, however im sure if you asked they may swap for something if you have allergies etc.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:49 pm
Company Representative - Virgin Australia

Programs: Velocity Frequent Flyer
Correct, there is a fixed menu for Flexi fare paying guests.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:44 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Virgin Australia
Correct, there is a fixed menu for Flexi fare paying guests.
What about drinks? Is is like 1 drink only, soft or alcoholic? The description on the web is a bit misleading
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
Flew back 3pm Adl-Mel yesterday on flexi so first experience of meal. Came on nasty poly tray, was a corned beef wrap, chocolate and water. Asked for a green tea (wasnt sure if that was included, but it was). The wrap was a bit nasty, but I suspect this meal was more substantial than biscuit or frozen cake on the equivalent qantas flight
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: VA Velocity, SQ KrisFlyer
And I heard soon passengers on board Virgin Australia with Any booking class will be able to have free inflight meals between SYD - CBR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.