Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Seat upgrade on Virgin Atlantic flight to LHR from LAX - possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I booked on Expedia and was assigned seat 37K (window). That was the closest seat to the front I could find. Now, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to getting upgrades, so any and all advice would be welcome. All I really want is a power jack for my laptop in case I can't fall asleep. Is there a procedure for requesting an upgrade? And is it even possible given that I bought on Expedia or does that not matter?

TIA!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:40 pm

only one tip for getting an upgrade - pay.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kezza25
only one tip for getting an upgrade - pay.
Wouldn't be a problem if I knew how. I've been offered different upgrade options at the point of check-in on domestic flights, but how do I do it this time around?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Hi and a warm welcome to FlyerTalk.

When you arrive at the airport to check-in you need to ask if there are seats available in Premium Economy and if so how much it would cost to upgrade your ticket. If there are seats available then VS will tell you how much an on the day of departure upgrade fee will cost (think expensive).

I'm sure you already know but VS will not give you a free upgrade simply for asking. If you booked your ticket on Expedia then it shouldn't matter at all (I assume you will earn some FF miles right?).
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UK flyer
Hi and a warm welcome to FlyerTalk.

When you arrive at the airport to check-in you need to ask if there are seats available in Premium Economy and if so how much it would cost to upgrade your ticket. If there are seats available then VS will tell you how much an on the day of departure upgrade fee will cost (think expensive).
Define "expensive" if you can? Are we talking $100 or double the price of my ticket?
I'm sure you already know but VS will not give you a free upgrade simply for asking. If you booked your ticket on Expedia then it shouldn't matter at all (I assume you will earn some FF miles right?).
See, I actually didn't know that. I have heard stories of airlines upgrading passengers just because they asked and there was room, but I guess that went away when oil went over the century mark...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Most airlines won't upgrade people unless they are a) willing to pay, b) there aren't enough seats in that particular cabin ( op-ups - operational upgrades) or c) very rarely, you can charm your way into an upgrade. With the emphasis on the 'very rarely' and it helps to be a top tier elite.

US based airlines may also offer upgrades to their elites as a matter of course, no European airline has a policy of doing this officially, and no-one does it transatlantically. There are things you can do to increase your chances of an op-up (like earning elite status - which comes way before dressing nicely!), but it doesn't follow that the airline will need to upgrade anyone on a particular flight.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:35 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
IF they're offering cash upgrades on the day, it'll likely be in the order of £500 - £1,000 one way from PE to Upper. However, as others have said, it'll be purely down to how busy the flight is.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 4:39 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Originally Posted by highlanderfil
Define "expensive" if you can? Are we talking $100 or double the price of my ticket?
I can't say exactly how much but it's much more than $100 I can assure you! From Economy to Premium Economy one-way I think it's going to cost anything between £300 to £500, maybe more?!

Personally, I never upgrade with cash, especially for ex-UK departures. I just can't afford it.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by preiffer
IF they're offering cash upgrades on the day, it'll likely be in the order of £500 - £1,000 one way from PE to Upper. However, as others have said, it'll be purely down to how busy the flight is.
Oh, I am not looking for upper. I just want PE.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UK flyer
I can't say exactly how much but it's much more than $100 I can assure you! From Economy to Premium Economy one-way I think it's going to cost anything between £300 to £500, maybe more?!

Personally, I never upgrade with cash, especially for ex-UK departures. I just can't afford it.
Ouch! Neither can I!

Well, good to know all this, thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:58 am

I've upgraded Expedia tickets on the day, so that definetely can be done. Cash upgrades from MCO to LGW Y-PE seem to be £250 as a standard fare; given the longer flight duration I'd expect LAX to be a little above that.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adjonline
I've upgraded Expedia tickets on the day, so that definetely can be done. Cash upgrades from MCO to LGW Y-PE seem to be £250 as a standard fare; given the longer flight duration I'd expect LAX to be a little above that.
Yeah, that's definitely going to be too rich for my blood. Oh well, might as well try to figure out a way to get some sleep.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ambien? Talk to your doctor.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I was on 007 LHR-LAX a couple of months ago and the economy load was light enough that I got four seats to myself in row 48 or so. Stretched out and went to sleep for hours -- far better than PE. I'd considered trying to upgrade but was very glad I hadn't, especially having now seen the PE seats.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
I was on 007 LHR-LAX a couple of months ago and the economy load was light enough that I got four seats to myself in row 48 or so. Stretched out and went to sleep for hours -- far better than PE. I'd considered trying to upgrade but was very glad I hadn't, especially having now seen the PE seats.
Yeah, the only reason I'd even want PE is because of the plug-in jack for the laptop. But I got an ASUS Eee now with an "all-day" battery, so that problem is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.