Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic move to save fuel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2006, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Virgin Atlantic move to save fuel

Finally a 'real' effort to save some fuel from an airline. Well done Virgin. Hope this goes well, maybe then we'll see the end of "fuel surcharges". It'll be interesting to see how this works out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6203636.stm
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by flying_fozzy
Finally a 'real' effort to save some fuel from an airline.
I think the intention is admirable. However, you need to factor in the following.

How many additional tow vehicles are required by BAA to provide this service?
How much polution is generated by these vehicles operating in towing the plane to the runway and then driving back to the termina building.
How much polution is generated by the manufacture of extra tow vehicles which BAA will need to purchase to provide such a service.
How much polution is generate by additional staff required to operate these additional vehicles in getting to the airport.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
I've always wondered why more airlines don't do this. Good luck VS.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I've always wondered why more airlines don't do this. Good luck VS.
As predicted in my time capsule post from 2004:

2014: A British Airways Odyssey
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:11 pm

Umm....

Umm. How does Mr Branson intend to power the heavy trucks that will be needed to pull these massive aircraft around the tarmac?
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by brianfoconnor
Umm. How does Mr Branson intend to power the heavy trucks that will be needed to pull these massive aircraft around the tarmac?
I think the idea is based on the fact that powering up on the aircrafts' engines would burn fuel at a far higher rate than if they used the tugs. It's not a bad first step although we have a long ways to go.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by globetrekker84
I think the idea is based on the fact that powering up on the aircrafts' engines would burn fuel at a far higher rate than if they used the tugs. It's not a bad first step although we have a long ways to go.

But if something is found to be wrong with the engines on power up at a remote location - not only have you wasted the fuel of the tug, but you have the fuel burnt returning to stand and all the costs of additional delay to contend with.

Swings and roundabouts, but like so much of this green thinking it is a first step, a start, and proves that peopel are beginning to think of ways around the problem, and that is to be commended.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think that in the grand scheme of things the overall fuel usage will be far lower, especially when we're talking on the x106 litres of fuel scale.

Let's just call it a step in the right direction? An 'enhancement' if you will?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.