Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Ticket Question

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Companion Ticket Question

I was short of a few thousand miles needed for a trip to the Far East, so I took out the Virgin MasterCard to earn the missing few thousand points. I see that once you have spent £15K you get a free companion ticket, now can I use my miles to get my free ticket and use the companion ticket to get the wife there as well ?

I know you can do this with BA/Amex as I've done it, but I've read through the Companion Ticket rules and I don't understand them, I suspect not and if that's the case I'll move my spending to another credit card...

Thanks in advance
Old May 24, 2005, 8:43 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Hi richj

A warm welcome to FlyerTalk.

I don't think that's possible. I didn't partake in the Virgin credit card offer but I believe you can only take advantage of the companion ticket by paying for your ticket in a qualifying class (not by using miles) which is usually one of the higher priced fares ie not the cheap Mega Saver fares.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:50 pm

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
No, it's not possible.

The companion ticket only applies to higher fare classes. J, S, Y, B, L.

No non-rev or Apex fares can be used with them.
Old May 24, 2005, 2:28 pm

I can't decide whether I like this offer or not. I went for the card and am just about to reach the 15k spend. Some points to consider:

the award is only granted on the 12 month anniversary of taking out the card - irrespective of how early you might reach the £15k target.

you do have to buy an expensive ticket and it's debateable as to whether this will work out much/any cheaper than actually buying two tickets in the cheapest pricing class.

if you get the card with the annual fee (£80) at least you earn 2 miles for every £ spent. That's 30,000 miles by the time you earn the companion award.

the companion ticket doesn't earn any miles or tier points when being used (another argument in favour of buying two cheaper tickets).

I'd be interested to hear from someone who's actually used this award and found it makes a good saving.
Old May 24, 2005, 2:48 pm

I think many V-Flyers have come to the conclusion that the companion reward is best used in conjunction with a S fare. As you have deduced, it most other situations it's cheaper to buy two deeply discounted tickets and also has the benefit of mileage earning on both.

Pete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.