Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Master thread - Virgin Atlantic departures from LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, ITA

Hi All,

Flying VS again for the first time in nearly 20 years (eesh, I'm getting old) out of LAX in December. Was doing some research to find out which lounge I can use (I'm a Skyteam EP flying premium economy) and am a bit confused about what terminal VS departs out of? The LAX website says that VS departs out of TBIT, while the VS website says it departs out of T2.... so which is it? Also, it looks like VS uses the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT, which leads me to believe they depart out of there... but then why do they make you check in at Terminal 2? I would prefer to use the Delta Lounge at T2/T3, but if they really make you check your bags in at T2 and then walk all the way to TBIT for your gate, then maybe it just makes more sense to use the KAL lounge (I know... i've heard horror stories, but at least it will be closer to the gate).

Any clarifications and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2023, 7:10 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by waveloch
Hi All,

Flying VS again for the first time in nearly 20 years (eesh, I'm getting old) out of LAX in December. Was doing some research to find out which lounge I can use (I'm a Skyteam EP flying premium economy) and am a bit confused about what terminal VS departs out of? The LAX website says that VS departs out of TBIT, while the VS website says it departs out of T2.... so which is it? Also, it looks like VS uses the Star Alliance lounge in TBIT, which leads me to believe they depart out of there... but then why do they make you check in at Terminal 2? I would prefer to use the Delta Lounge at T2/T3, but if they really make you check your bags in at T2 and then walk all the way to TBIT for your gate, then maybe it just makes more sense to use the KAL lounge (I know... i've heard horror stories, but at least it will be closer to the gate).

Any clarifications and advice are appreciated. Thanks!
The VS check-in desks are definitely in T2. You then go upstairs through the Delta T2/T3 security channels (though I suppose nothing is stopping you walking up to TBIT).
My understanding is you can now get from T2/T3 to TBIT airside via the bridge (used to be the airside connector bus).
The VS flights leave from TBIT currently.
I believe it still is the Star Alliance lounge.
I don't see why the Delta T2/T3 lounges wouldn't be available if you prefer (I used one last year pre getting VS back to LHR, though the Star Alliance lounge turned out to be my preference).
Old Oct 25, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: A mere babe on: BAEC, AAdvantage, Virgin Flying Club. An adolescent with: Marriott Silver. Budget
My last VS flight (to LHR) was in July and I checked in and departed from TBIT. I didn't use the lounge.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:27 pm

VS now has its check-in counters in T2. This is a relatively recent move. I flew out last Friday and stupidly went to TBIT and had to walk back to T2.

As noted above, you can then go through security at T3 and walk through the connector, or walk over to TBIT, whichever you prefer. Depending on the time of day, T3 might be more efficient, especially if you have Clear.

And I can confirm that it's the Star Alliance lounge located above PF Chang's in TBIT, although you should also be able to use the Skyclub in T3. It's about a 15-minute walk from the Skyclub to the TBIT gates, and less than 5 from the Star Alliance lounge.

You'll probably need to show your Skyteam FF card for access, the Skyclub systems aren't as seamless when confronted with Virgin flights. I'm Diamond and have the Amex Reserve card but they wanted to see my Amex even with my Virgin boarding pass (and I bought the Delta codeshare!)
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, ITA
Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I would be very interested to know if you are given access to the Star Alliance Lounge as a SkyTeam Elite Plus member. When I flew VS from Miami I was told very clearly at check-in that I would not be allowed access to their usual lounge (LATAM) as it was only for their Upper Class passengers! I actually created a topic about this dilemma here but noone responded.

In any case, it shouldn't be a problem to use the Delta lounge - we had no issues in Miami.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 1:58 pm

It seems it's even worse than the OP states. Yes, UC passengers do have access to the Star Alliance lounge, but VS has moved operations back to T2—a quick check of today's flights out of LAX confirmed this. So if you want lounge time, you have to check in at T2, walk to TBIT for the SA lounge and then back to T2 for your flight. Seems that access to the Delta Sky Club in T2 has been removed for UC passengers. The only way of mitigating the hassle would be if you're not checking baggage; then you can check-in online and go straight to TBIT when you arrive at LAX as they allow you to pass through security at any terminal. Or if you're getting dropped off by friends or family, have them wait for you while you check-in/drop bags at T2, then drive you to TBIT.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ppaul77
VS has moved operations back to T2—a quick check of today's flights out of LAX confirmed this. So if you want lounge time, you have to check in at T2, walk to TBIT for the SA lounge and then back to T2 for your flight.
To be clear, while the VS check-in desks are in T2, the actual flights depart from TBIT, typically from gate 133. I've learned to never say never, but I've never seen a VS flight depart from T2 - at least not in the last 20 years or so!
Old Nov 1, 2023, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Night Flyer
To be clear, while the VS check-in desks are in T2, the actual flights depart from TBIT, typically from gate 133. I've learned to never say never, but I've never seen a VS flight depart from T2 - at least not in the last 20 years or so!
When I started flying VS from LAX back in 2009, flights always departed from T2. UC passengers could use the Air New Zealand lounge, until VS opened their own clubhouse in T2 (the old Air France lounge?). The VS clubhouse shuttered during Covid at the same time they moved flights to TBIT, while keeping check-in at T2. Then check-in was moved to TBIT.

Another check of flight status today shows VS8 departing from gate 133 as you stated, but they have it listed as T2. So you're right; I was wrong and so is VS!

Last edited by ppaul77; Nov 1, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 2, 2023, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ppaul77
When I started flying VS from LAX back in 2009, flights always departed from T2. UC passengers could use the Air New Zealand lounge, until VS opened their own clubhouse in T2 (the old Air France lounge?). The VS clubhouse shuttered during Covid at the same time they moved flights to TBIT, while keeping check-in at T2. Then check-in was moved to TBIT.

Another check of flight status today shows VS8 departing from gate 133 as you stated, but they have it listed as T2. So you're right; I was wrong and so is VS!
Yep - VS always used to depart from T2 - Usually from gate 23 or 25
Old Nov 7, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Just to update with a datapoint from this week.
VS check-in is at T2.
I got my boarding pass re-printed at the check-in desk so my Global Entry (and hence TSA pre-check) was confirmed.
The airbridge from T2 to TBIT is indeed now open. It is very similar to how the AA terminal to TBIT works on the other side (in fact you can walk over both airbridges AA to DL or DL to AA.
The Star Alliance lounge on level 6 remains the lounge being used for Virgin Atlantic UC passengers. I really do enjoy this lounge.
Gate 133 was the one used.
travellingwigbury likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:12 pm

Delta's website advertises that flying on a nonstop transoceanic ticket in First/Business Class on a SkyTeam ®-operated flight gives you access to the Delta One at LAX exclusive check-in area on the lower level of T3. Does anyone have experience when flying UC on VS?
Old Nov 14, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by littlefish
Just to update with a datapoint from this week.
VS check-in is at T2.
I got my boarding pass re-printed at the check-in desk so my Global Entry (and hence TSA pre-check) was confirmed.
The airbridge from T2 to TBIT is indeed now open. It is very similar to how the AA terminal to TBIT works on the other side (in fact you can walk over both airbridges AA to DL or DL to AA.
The Star Alliance lounge on level 6 remains the lounge being used for Virgin Atlantic UC passengers. I really do enjoy this lounge.
Gate 133 was the one used.
Mirrors my experience overnight… though was a little disappointed to find out that Gold status didn’t give you lounge access unless you were flying in UC, unless I paid $80…
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:02 am
c_j

Is there any lounge accessible for VS Gold / SkyTeam ElitePlus not in UC?
div#credential_picker_container > iframe[src^="https://accounts.google.com/"],
iframe#credential_picker_iframe[src^="https://accounts.google.com/"]
{ display: none !important; }
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by c_j
Is there any lounge accessible for VS Gold / SkyTeam ElitePlus not in UC?
I was told that the Star Alliance lounge was available, but at a cost of $80. There's no free lounge available, so I ended up eating at PF Chang's.

I asked about Delta Sky Club's - they are available, but at your own risk (no announcements, longer walk to the gate)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.