Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid CATCH-22

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
Covid CATCH-22

I became very ill with Covid on departing a cruise ship—which became very severe. While seeking assistance, I contacted my daughter to cancel our next evening flight as per above, booked in Upper Class on points. She spent hours on hold and talking to 3 different reps, who were uncooperative and difficult. She gave her name and numbers and said since this was more than 24 hours before the flight we would NOT be NO-SHOWS. Although we had our taxes and fees refunded, the agent said he could not refund the points to our Flying Club accounts because we were "no shows." However, he said we could use them for another flight which will be in the next month, However, on trying to book on what would be rather short notice due to our situation, we cannot find any availability, which is to be expected. All we would like is to have our points refunded to our account so we can use them at a future date when we can plan more in advance. We can send medical proof of a positive Covid test. We're sure that despite there being no requirement to be tested during the flight, they would not have wanted us to board and infect others. We did the right thing and we hope they will too. However, no agent on the phone has helped and every email to their various boxes says we have contacted the wrong place. Ideas to get this sorted?

Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:10 am

Hey,

If, as stated above, the cancellation of the award bookings was being made more than 24 hours before the flight departure then you are entitled to FULL REFUND of the points used for the booking.

The taxes and fees are also refunded, minus a Ł30 cancellation fee per ticket.

This particular agent has given you incorrect information.

I would advise calling Virgin back when they first open at 7am - on the dot.

Whomever you initially speak with, ask to be put through to the upper class department.

The reason for this is that they’re generally well-informed in that department and if they’re not able to sort this out for you, then they’ll be able to put you through to who can sort it out.

Just to be absolutely clear - every single one of your points should be refunded.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, American, United, Virgin Atlantic, BA, JetBlue, SW, etc.
Thanks. They are claiming no show, but the calls were made in advance. I do expect the fee and they did refund taxes. Will try upper class dept and since I am currently in UK I can hit that 7 AM mark!
Old Oct 6, 2022, 8:27 am

They should have a record/recording of the call that was made by your daughter on their systems. Did she happen to get hold of the agents name whom ultimately processed the cancellation for you?

That agent should also have annotated the now-cancelled booking to say when cancelled etc.

Hope this turns out ok for you! It should do.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 7:57 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Awful to read that you were so sick. If you've tried everything to communicate with Virgin, my friend Michelle has just launched a consumer advocacy site called 'Consumer Rescue'. Contact her and she may be able to help; she has years of experience in advocacy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.