Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Operational Issues? {Summer 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:16 am
Original Poster

LHR Operational Issues? {Summer 2022)

I'm scheduled to fly Upper Class back to SFO later this month. How's VS's operating at LHR recently? Is VS experiencing similar levels of problems as BA?

I skimmed through several threads about recent issues (Upper Class Wing fiasco, delayed flight, etc)....but more curious about VS's overall current performance at LHR this summer.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: A bunch
The problems are generally with security and on the ramp. If you fly Upper Class you’ll check in in the upper class wing at Heathrow. It is “generously” staffed so no problem there. They also have their own security check. It might be a bit slower than usual (as the staffing shortage is affecting them slightly as well) but should be fine. The terminal is overcrowded so go to the clubhouse. The only potential issue is the baggage handling where baggage is routed through the general baggage system where sorting and loading might get affected. It will “probably” be fine but I have bought apple tags and put in my luggage to keep track of it as this is the area at most risk for disruption.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:05 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Tiramisu
The problems are generally with security and on the ramp. If you fly Upper Class you’ll check in in the upper class wing at Heathrow. It is “generously” staffed so no problem there. They also have their own security check. It might be a bit slower than usual (as the staffing shortage is affecting them slightly as well) but should be fine. The terminal is overcrowded so go to the clubhouse. The only potential issue is the baggage handling where baggage is routed through the general baggage system where sorting and loading might get affected. It will “probably” be fine but I have bought apple tags and put in my luggage to keep track of it as this is the area at most risk for disruption.
On top of that… LHR is now telling airlines to cancel select flights and the airlines don’t get to decide which flight to keep or cancel for the next few weeks so this is going to be organized chaos to cut down on passenger numbers as they want to cap it to 100k passengers a day.
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
On top of that… LHR is now telling airlines to cancel select flights and the airlines don’t get to decide which flight to keep or cancel for the next few weeks so this is going to be organized chaos to cut down on passenger numbers as they want to cap it to 100k passengers a day.
I thought the airlines still get to decide what flights they cancel as long as they meet the quota of cut passengers?

I hope this is the case as i dont thnk virgin will cancel the Vegas flight im due on but heathrow might
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: VS Gold
My VS19 LHR-SFO July 31 was just canceled.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by maxmin
My VS19 LHR-SFO July 31 was just canceled.
Oh that's crap.. have they offered you an alternative? I'm supposed to be going to Vegas on the same day
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:08 pm

Nope
There are no awards on any of the programs I use, and the revenue tickets are $2500 in Y. Looks like I'll miss the wedding I was going to.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:10 pm

Nope
There are no awards on any of the programs I use, and the revenue tickets are $2500 in Y. Looks like I'll miss the wedding I was going to.
I thought by law they had to offer you an alternative?...
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:00 am

Well I was able to get rebooked onto an LAX flight the same day. I think due to Gold Status?
Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that they offered to book me on to the LAS flight too, so I assume they plan to run it.
The only reason I took the LAX flight is that only middle seats were left on the LAS flight
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:10 am

Well I was able to get rebooked onto an LAX flight the same day. I think due to Gold Status?
Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that they offered to book me on to the LAS flight too, so I assume they plan to run it.
The only reason I took the LAX flight is that only middle seats were left on the LAS flight
I am so pleased you managed to get sorted and get to the wedding. Was the Las vegas flight on the same day? 31st?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:20 am

Yes, the 31st of July.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:25 am

Yes, the 31st of July.
Well hopefully that means they are not going to pull the plug on it then....so your flight cant have been cancelled because of the passenger cap if they wanted you out the same day.

Regardless im glad it worked out for you in the end
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Vegas flyer
I thought the airlines still get to decide what flights they cancel as long as they meet the quota of cut passengers?

I hope this is the case as i dont thnk virgin will cancel the Vegas flight im due on but heathrow might
From what I’m told at VS and Delta the airlines don’t have a choice but the slots coordinator is making the decisions on which flights to cancel to balance the cap.
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
From what I’m told at VS and Delta the airlines don’t have a choice but the slots coordinator is making the decisions on which flights to cancel to balance the cap.
How far in advance do they do this? I'm due to fly to Vegas next Sunday with virgin and still not 100% confident
Britgirlnyc likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Vegas flyer
How far in advance do they do this? I'm due to fly to Vegas next Sunday with virgin and still not 100% confident
Yes, we are getting a bit worried now. We are booked on VS7 on 12/8, which is a Friday, and I see that the VS7 on Friday 29th has been cancelled. I know there's nothing we can do until we know more but it's a bit nerve wracking.
Britgirlnyc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.