Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles plus money question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Miles plus money question

I am looking for a one way to USA, but my prefered route - EDI-MCO does not have award availability. So I was thinking I might use miles plus money. Now here is the issue - my miles are in Chase Ultimate Rewards, so I need to transfer them in. I can see how many miles reward travel will cost (and the taxes and fees) but I can not do the same for miles plus money. You need to have the points in your account first before it will show the options. Once I transfer miles in, I can not transfer them back out if I decide it is not a good deal.

Would some kind person with around 28,000 - 30,000 points be willing to do a quick look for EDI-MCO on Aug 3 for 1 pax o/w in Economy or Premium using either 20k, 25k or 30k points?

Or if there is another way to do this, could someone please let me know
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Miles Plus Money is just a discount on the paid fare, where your miles get in the range of 0.5p per mile.

Between the one-way TATL fare and the poor value of your Chase points / VS points, this doesn't look like something worth pursuing.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AK MVP Gold, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hyatt Gold, BW Gold, Avis Preferred, NationalCar Emerald
Super helpful, but I have questions

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Miles Plus Money is just a discount on the paid fare, where your miles get in the range of 0.5p per mile.

Between the one-way TATL fare and the poor value of your Chase points / VS points, this doesn't look like something worth pursuing.
Is my math correct - that at 0.5p per mile, then 20,000 miles would be worth GBP10,000???

Does that sound correct? If so, it could be of value for me. I know there are better values, but this close in, I am struggling and the TATL costs are just crazy just now, so better to use miles to reduce the cost.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by planet_erg
Is my math correct - that at 0.5p per mile, then 20,000 miles would be worth GBP10,000???

Does that sound correct? If so, it could be of value for me. I know there are better values, but this close in, I am struggling and the TATL costs are just crazy just now, so better to use miles to reduce the cost.
If only. The math is .005 * 20,000 = 100 Pounds in value. Your math was calculating as if each point was worth 50 pence (which would be one heck of a value). Depending on what Chase card you have you might be better using your UR points to purchase a flight since some cards I believe give you 1.5 cents US in value to purchase airfare.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Jul 7, 2022 at 4:51 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
3000 VS miles = £16.50 when it comes to using them to discouint a cash fare.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:08 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Have you looked at booking your tix through Chase Travel Desk? You can combine URs and cash any way you like.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsn55
Have you looked at booking your tix through Chase Travel Desk? You can combine URs and cash any way you like.
Yeah, you can also do that online. The online booking is not the best, but it does allow that. Problem is, they never have the best fares available in UR, which is frustrating. Also, UR seems to be better value when you transfer them to a FF program than use them through UR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.