Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

When Restarting US flights now that England Reopening to Vacc US Travelers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Anyone have insight as to when Virgin is restarting flights from US gateways that were suspended now that England will be reopening? For example, IAD-LHR? Can't find on the website what the restart plan is. Wondering whether it will be a full restart since the US is not reciprocating.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You know that U.S. is still shut down for the U.K., right?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by garykung
Yep, hence the "Wondering whether it will be a full restart since the US is not reciprocating." But VA is, as of this morning, advertising the reopening of England to Vaccinated US folks, but I can't find when flights restart from those cities that have been suspended during COVID - especially (for me) DC - but figured this thread would be more useful if I asked the question more generally.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
They've only just announced it, so VS (and others) will need some operational planning time to work out which routes and frequencies may be viable under the circumstances. There was a VS trade update this morning, which didn't include any details in response to this.

I suspect that the leisure routes (LAS and MCO in particular) won't start. Frequencies where they have been cut on already operating routes may return. IAD is likely to be borderline at best to return prior to UK travellers being able to visit the US. I wouldn't be surprised if VS concentrate on NYC and Atlanta as their main markets on the East Coast for now.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
VS is also still in survival mode right now so they are not going to be adding lots of flights at the last minute which add high costs while flying mostly empty. That would not help them at all. The summer is nearly lost already and the low season for transatlantic flights is coming up fast. They will only add what will shore up their finances. They are going to need another infusion of cash very soon given that May/June/July were already well below what was hoped due to impediments in getting into the US for non-Americans and traveling to the UK for Americans.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Well the US is shut down to many countries in Europe who have opened to vaccinated US citizens and yet airlines have restarted flights to those locations. Having said that, the UK will still require COVID tests from the vaccinated people so I wonder how many will take a holiday visit to the UK.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by TomMM
Well the US is shut down to many countries in Europe who have opened to vaccinated US citizens and yet airlines have restarted flights to those locations. Having said that, the UK will still require COVID tests from the vaccinated people so I wonder how many will take a holiday visit to the UK.
It seems like the initial boost will be to dual nationals who were vaccinated in the US (or EU), and to a lesser degree Americans who just want to go somewhere without exorbitant rental car rates and who are maybe not so tied to the school year that restarts in about a month. So justifying an incremental boost to service, not a full return to the old schedule.

I agree with the poster upthread who suggests VS' strategy is to align with DL hubs. To the extent travel rebounds, it won't initially be the UK leisure market to MCO, and it probably won't be much of the corporate market (though maybe there will be an uptick), so letting DL funnel connecting traffic to its hubs (JFK and ATL, but also DTW and MSP via the JV) seems to make sense.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
I agree with the poster upthread who suggests VS' strategy is to align with DL hubs. To the extent travel rebounds, it won't initially be the UK leisure market to MCO, and it probably won't be much of the corporate market (though maybe there will be an uptick), so letting DL funnel connecting traffic to its hubs (JFK and ATL, but also DTW and MSP via the JV) seems to make sense.
I was in ATL a couple of weeks ago and saw this:

Old Jul 28, 2021, 7:51 pm

No Rush

My American relatives are off to Greece on United.
Day 2 test in the UK was a big killer for them.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: AA
Looks like Aug 30 for sfo-lhr. Econ seat availability so high, for the first time in years, going to fly Econ as your almost guaranteed 3 seats to yourself for 15k miles. Seatspy is a decent way to find out what’s happening, at least for now. No guarantee they won’t get cancelled, but it looks like USA is going to reciprocate with opening restrictions.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Was on the phone to Flying Club today and for the first time in a long time, I got an agent in Crawley rather than in Wales. Was having a good chat with them and they mentioned that US bookings have been going really well since the announcement. Obviously working from a very low base, but good news for the airline to at least get some decent revenue in on top of the cargo.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by bmiStar
My American relatives are off to Greece on United.
Day 2 test in the UK was a big killer for them.
It’s within 2 days. You can take it on arrival at the airport.

still a pain but not as bad as it seems
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
It’s within 2 days. You can take it on arrival at the airport.

still a pain but not as bad as it seems
it’s impossible to get a Day 2 Test appointment at Heathrow for my late September arrival. I see no openings at all between now and then, unless I’m missing something.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by urifin
it’s impossible to get a Day 2 Test appointment at Heathrow for my late September arrival. I see no openings at all between now and then, unless I’m missing something.

Try this

https://www.expresstest.co.uk/book-a-test/
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
I get this result for any LHR testing site. Are they really all booked or are they not showing so far in advance? I have a 5-hour layover and I’d rather do the test in LHR then at the destination (INV in Scotland on a BA flight)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.