Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

UC Date Change - Huge Difference. Anything I can do

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

I had a UC flight booked to LA in the £1k sale that is for the end of March. Looking like it's not going to be possible with continuing lockdown and travel bans and such therefore I'm going to have to move it. Of course all future dates are circa £3k+ in UC.

Am I right in thinking all I can do is either cancel the flight (although I won't get a refund), turn it into a 'credit note' for a future flight, or suck up the huge change fee to move the flight (minus the £350 they'll give me towards that)? Or I suppose there's just hoping they cancel the flight for a full refund. Which seems unlikely.

Not sure if it changes thing but my scheduled outbound was moved by 4 hours. Which actually meant if I could've visited I'd have missed the first meeting that was planned.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
I had a UC flight booked to LA in the £1k sale that is for the end of March. Looking like it's not going to be possible with continuing lockdown and travel bans and such therefore I'm going to have to move it. Of course all future dates are circa £3k+ in UC.

Am I right in thinking all I can do is either cancel the flight (although I won't get a refund), turn it into a 'credit note' for a future flight, or suck up the huge change fee to move the flight (minus the £350 they'll give me towards that)? Or I suppose there's just hoping they cancel the flight for a full refund. Which seems unlikely.

Not sure if it changes thing but my scheduled outbound was moved by 4 hours. Which actually meant if I could've visited I'd have missed the first meeting that was planned.
I’d advise you push EU261 with them - there is a legal duty which allows you to rebook at a convenient time for you which effectively voids their free rebooking promise (May I think currently). Escalate if you need to - but you should be able to get that date change for free under law - I had joy in getting it done recently on a similar Black Friday UC deal.
jsn55 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Ouch! This is painful. But you need to play the waiting game. If I can do it with AirFrance, anybody can. They just cancelled my flight CDG-SFO, I've been waiting for 6 weeks. Like everybody else, I don't need any more airline credits! Check your res every week, don't wait for any notifications. How many people are making these trips when everything is locked down? OTOH, a 4-hour change SHOULD get you a refund, just be careful that your current res isn't cancelled "by mistake". Good luck, and please report back.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by londonba2014
I’d advise you push EU261 with them - there is a legal duty which allows you to rebook at a convenient time for you which effectively voids their free rebooking promise (May I think currently). Escalate if you need to - but you should be able to get that date change for free under law - I had joy in getting it done recently on a similar Black Friday UC deal.
EC 261/2004 will not apply in this circumstance as it is OP who is choosing to cancel or change.

The Regulation only provides rebooking rights when the operating carrier cancels or significantly changes the schedule.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments. I'm going to give it to 7 days before the flight to see what happens with it. If it's not cancelled I think my two best options will be.

1. Move it to the end of May and keep my fingers crossed that travel is allowed by then, if it isn't I'll have to move it again and pay the difference or take the travel voucher.
2. Cancel it completely for a full refund under EC 261/2004 since the VS7 flight was changed to a later VS23

I'll keep you informed
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
My CPT flight 13th March has been showing as status not confirmed for some weeks now. It has disappeared from the time table and is not bookable. I am not too concerned as they cancelled my flight on the 12th of March and moved us to the 13th and we never accepted the change. How far in advance are they actually cancelling the flights formally?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by simonsmith
My CPT flight 13th March has been showing as status not confirmed for some weeks now. It has disappeared from the time table and is not bookable. I am not too concerned as they cancelled my flight on the 12th of March and moved us to the 13th and we never accepted the change. How far in advance are they actually cancelling the flights formally?
I’m also due to be on that flight! Not too worried, suspect we’ll hear by Saturday that it’s been cancelled ahead of the 14 day compensation period. Don’t forget VS will be keen to keep a hold of the £ for as long as possible.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Forget any thoughts of compensation if they do cancel within 14 days of departure. That part of the regulation has been suspended.
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've got a flight to CPT booked for the 4th March - no notification of cancellation yet but there is a note on the booking that there has been a schedule change and to click the 'accept changes' button that doesn't exist.

Checking daily to see if there are any updates.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 2:28 am

1. Move it to the end of May and keep my fingers crossed that travel is allowed by then, if it isn't I'll have to move it again and pay the difference or take the travel voucher.
Why if you move it past May will you need to pay the fare difference or take a travel voucher? Was May the original sale end period? Surely if they have cancelled the flights they will be happy to push it back to any date of your choosing with no change to the fare?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Why if you move it past May will you need to pay the fare difference or take a travel voucher? Was May the original sale end period? Surely if they have cancelled the flights they will be happy to push it back to any date of your choosing with no change to the fare?
It's because their current policy is to allow a change to another flight at no additional cost before the end of May. Then any date after that they want the fare difference minus £350
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:01 am

It's because their current policy is to allow a change to another flight at no additional cost before the end of May. Then any date after that they want the fare difference minus £350
This is where my original response applies! (Misread the OPs post)

pazza2000 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:09 am

Ah I see, good to know! I guess best to hang fire and see nearer the time what Virgin Atl. and see what they are willing to offer. I also wonder if their ‘May’ cut off will move back a few months
Old Feb 25, 2021, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Ah this is good to know. The initial flight was VS7 then they've now moved me to VS23 which is 4 hours later. Would EU261 still work under that?
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

That's the second time you've posted that but you've not explained the circumstances of your change.

If the airline cancels a flight then the regulation applies. If you change the flight it dosen't and you come under whatever policy the airline has in place for voluntary changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.