Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:37 pm

Anyone in the US should just file a chargeback and be done with it.

I’m sure the 50 day message is related to when they think new bookings will pick up and the cash flow will pick up.

The “low staffing” messages are bs as they’ve disabled all of the automated ways for a customer to process a refund, plus it’s not like it’s a hard manual process to hit the refund button. The service reps will spend 10x the time explaining why they don’t have the proper staffing to process a refund than it would take for them to actually process it.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:17 am

I'm based in the UK and i cancelled a ticket under the 24 hour risk free cancellation on March 2. They told me that if you request a refund within 24 hours but falling within the same day it is automated but within 24 hours but the next day it is not.

They told me within 90 days. Day 90 i went to Virgin Money - who themselves have decided to go slow and say "they will be in touch" - its now 100 days and i havent heard from either.

That said, i did not get any of these "within X days" emails either.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
I would just do a chargeback. I did it months ago for the same thing and haven't had to deal with this daily anxiety.
received an email yesterday evening stating refund would be within 30 days.

For comparison, I created a refund request for a Qatar Airways ticket on 30th March (18 days after the VS request), and that has been refunded onto my card today.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 2:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SammenForLivet
Called VS regarding something else - apparently emails are targeted to extend all refunds to 120 days; with a 30/40/50 extra delay. Could have missheard though. No surprise since financing has not yet been officially announced - was rumeroured to be forthcoming by end of May..... Suspect DL will have to pony up some how....
The Guardian are reporting that VS are telling people that it will take 120 days to receive refunds.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...to-four-months
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
The “low staffing” messages are bs
They've got 8000 staff on furlough - about 80% of the workforce.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Updated datapoint.
Cancelled flight by VS. I requested refund late March (was told - up to 90 days).
Late April, got the we are processing your refund e-mail.
Last week got the .... nearly there and it will be with you within 40 days e-mail.

I have hope I am in a moving queue.
I see upthread someone confirming a March refund, from earlier than mine, hitting their account recently.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Originally Posted by travellingjake
Im waiting on MBNA for a S75 claim (not VS related) and they told me 45 day turnaround time yesterday. Funnily enough, it’s 45 days today!
I got a callback on my MBNA chargeback yesterday, I need to send some more documents in by Monday, but they informed me that I should get a temporary credit shortly after.
Old Jun 13, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

My mum also got the 40 day refund. She has already waited 90 days. She called her credit card company yesterday to start the dispute. They said they will send her some paperwork to fill out and send back. She can't do it online because she doesn't know how to. I think the credit card company is Barclays. Will keep you all updated.

Does anyone know, could my mum complain to the DOT about this even though she is not a US citizen, but was coming to Vegas?

Last edited by FlyerTalker7654; Jun 13, 2020 at 10:27 am
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:21 pm

I got told 120 day turn around time... may start a charge back
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I canceled on April 30 and have not received any notification whatsoever. I can tell I'm way behind those earlier in the queue, but I think I'll go till June 30th before I just dispute the charge with Amex (all the way back in September of last year). As others have posted, other airlines are much more timely -- all these airlines have refunded me money within a week, two weeks tops: American, Delta, Etihad, ANA. So to borrow a British term, its bollocks its taking them this long.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:38 am

Serious Stockholm Syndrome on this board

Lots of posts here giving VS immense leeway to illegally hold on their customers money. I don’t know why anyone who bought their tickets with a credit card would wait one day past the seven days that airlines have, per EU AND US regulations, before doing a charge back. Am I the only one who won’t shed a tear if poor sir Richard has to a mortgage his island?
36902BRF and londonba2014 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Scudsone
Lots of posts here giving VS immense leeway to illegally hold on their customers money. I don’t know why anyone who bought their tickets with a credit card would wait one day past the seven days that airlines have, per EU AND US regulations, before doing a charge back. Am I the only one who won’t shed a tear if poor sir Richard has to a mortgage his island?
Maybe it’s because most people understand that there’s been a global pandemic for the past 5 months which has closed down the entire travel industry. Under normal circumstances, delays with refunds wouldn’t be acceptable, but these are far from normal circumstances. I’ve seen a range of responses from travel businesses over the last few months and Virgin’s isn’t the best, nor the worst.

The failure of the airline won’t hurt Branson much, but I actually do care about the tens of thousands of people directly and indirectly employed by/because of the airline. I don’t want those people to lose their jobs and if paying a few ££ interest on my credit card helps to avoid that, then I’m happy to make my contribution.
RAPC and craigthemif like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:57 am

Maybe it’s because most people understand that there’s been a global pandemic for the past 5 months which has closed down the entire travel industry. Under normal circumstances, delays with refunds wouldn’t be acceptable, but these are far from normal circumstances. I’ve seen a range of responses from travel businesses over the last few months and Virgin’s isn’t the best, nor the worst.

The failure of the airline won’t hurt Branson much, but I actually do care about the tens of thousands of people directly and indirectly employed by/because of the airline. I don’t want those people to lose their jobs and if paying a few ££ interest on my credit card helps to avoid that, then I’m happy to make my contribution.
But this is one-sided. What about many people who may be really hard up right now, and could desperately do with their money back? The papers are reporting millions falling through the furlough/SEISS gap, and 2.8million are now claiming benefits. You are right to care about the tens of thousands of people who are directly/indirectly employed by the airline, but what about the tens of thousands of customers whose circumstances may have drastically worsened since they booked their travel? You are fortunate you can afford to make a contribution, many cannot.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:15 am

Flight booked in Jan for April 1st
March 28th texted Virgin for a refund, they replied saying it would go through, expect an email in 10 days, refund within 90.
Have not received an email, have not received a refund.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:17 am

The pandemic has hit pretty much every airline hard but most have responded better than VS. I have had to do almost two dozen refunds for flights for me and my extended family in the last couple of months. VS has been close to the worst to deal with. Not sure if TAP or VS is worse but they are close. I feel sorry for VS' employees and I have no hate for Branson but I am not a charity (VS wasn't going to loan me money and I should not be forced to loan them money). VS is clearly in violation of US law and I have moved ahead with a chargeback and a DoT complaint after giving them six weeks to refund my cancelled flight (6x the legal refund time per DoT). I hope they survive this but it is not on me to fund them.
scottpenderson and Scudsone like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.