Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are VS currently paying out on agreed refunds ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You're quite right. The UK version of chargeback requires a good faith bona fide effort to sort things out with the company first.

In the US it's just chargeback everything ASAP, and the banks usually just pay because it's cheaper than investigating the issue.
Correct. That was pretty much how a friend of mine who still works at another card issuer explained it as well. They are not pouring additional fuel on the fire unnecessarily in their view.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif

In the US it's just chargeback everything ASAP, and the banks usually just pay because it's cheaper than investigating the issue.
In my experience that may be true for smaller dollar amounts. Once you start getting into the hundreds of dollars you will get an immediate temporary refund but they do investigate.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC

Depends on your card issuer. In the UK, I know that both MBNA and AMEX have pushed back on chargeback requests on a similar basis to what you have suggested. Basically they are making allowances for extended refund periods due to the nature of the COVID-19 situation. A colleague of mine has tried to do similar to speed up an airline refund where he has been quoted over 90 days and MBNA have noted the request and asked him to come back at 90 days if not paid at that point. I've seen a couple of similar experiences shared on another forum from AMEX UK customers being given similar advice to return with chargeback requests if the sales points involved do not refund by the stated time.
I am based in the UK, so suspect I will be forced to jump through the hoops. However, no harm in trying and citing the relevant laws.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
In my experience that may be true for smaller dollar amounts. Once you start getting into the hundreds of dollars you will get an immediate temporary refund but they do investigate.
It has also never been the case for air carriers. There are many merchant vendors who simply advise their merchant acquirer that they will not represent for amounts below a given threshold. That is all baked into the software and the consumer's card issuer (bank) can issue its credit for the amount on the spot.

Estimates vary, but most suggest that it costs a merchant at least $50 to do the work to contest a chargeback even when the chargeback is baseless.
36902BRF likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:46 am

From the Amex website: "We understand these are challenging times. When considering Disputing a Charge, contacting the business directly is usually the best way to resolve a dispute. Many businesses have special cancellation or refund policies related to COVID-19 that may apply to your transaction. If you contacted the business and they agreed to a refund or a credit, please wait for an appropriate amount of time as businesses are dealing with unexpectedly high volumes. You can raise a dispute through American Express if you’ve been unable to contact the business or resolve the dispute with them. In appropriate circumstances, we may suspend the amount. You will receive communication indicating the suspense and you will not be liable to pay the disputed amount while we investigate the dispute. Please be aware that if you do go ahead with the dispute and the business has already refunded, or is offering to provide a credit for future use, we will rebill the charge to your account."
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:48 pm

If AMEX is getting on the side of credit for future use, particularly when its not clear who will survive, I guess the benefit of having an Amex just decreased massively. May as well move to Mastercard/Visa with that support.

Have not been able to find your quoted statement on Amex' website, mind sharing a link?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JSarj
If AMEX is getting on the side of credit for future use, particularly when its not clear who will survive, I guess the benefit of having an Amex just decreased massively. May as well move to Mastercard/Visa with that support.

Have not been able to find your quoted statement on Amex' website, mind sharing a link?
This will be all banks in the UK, not just Amex.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 5:26 am

There’s some new text when submitting a S75 request/chargeback on the website relating to Covid-19 and giving retailers time to process refunds.

You’re still getting protection if the business fails but I think it’s a good move that Amex and other card issuers are encouraging patience around refunds.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:45 am
Suspended

There is no "the Amex website." It will differ from jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction and sometimes by card product. Thus, important to identify the specific location for the quoted section.

There is nothing in that quoted section as a matter of business practice. It is a request -- not a requirement -- for time to achieve refunds. In the case of a ticket where an air carrier has cancelled, the EC 261/2004 requirement of initiating a refund within 7 days remains the law. Thus, one may file a chargeback on the 8th day.

Amex, on the other hand, is free to request some patience because processing is largely manual and that backs up other requests. On the other hand, the temporary credit, e.g. "suspense" is valuable for those who do not want to deplete their own cash reserves while large amounts are pending. I might be more tolerant of a longer refund delay for a small amount than a large amount.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:51 am

Here you go jsarj. Hope of use:

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...tice/covid-19/
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:45 am

I’m owed quite a lot by VS and my credit card company (not AMEX) have issued a 3 month waiver on interest pending the return of the funds.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:02 pm
Suspended

It would be interesting if you would identify your issuer / bank as that seems to be a growing trend. There are nuances and slightly different terms, but anything that stops interest means that the card issuer intends to enforce the chargeback as nobody lends money for free (comercially).
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:24 pm

It’s a Virgin Atlantic MasterCard issued by Virgin Money. They offered this when I said I wanted to do a chargeback.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:29 pm

Cancelled an award ticket by text 30 days ago and was told I would hear from refunds within 30 days but of course have heard nothing.

Edit: Well, surprise surprise today I got an email that my refund request has been received which is a start I guess.

Last edited by lkar; Apr 23, 2020 at 7:39 am
Old Apr 23, 2020, 1:26 am

deleted not woken up yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.