Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Flight redemption cancelled. Offered just refund, no flight alternative

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight redemption cancelled. Offered just refund, no flight alternative

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Flight redemption cancelled. Offered just refund, no flight alternative

Hello,

Mine and my partner's one-way flight redemptions Sao Paolo to London were cancelled as launch was delayed until October.
According to their website, passenger on VS tickets issued by 05 Mar 2020 can apply for re-route on/after 12 of March 2020 on Air France or KLM service.

I called CS today and I was told me the alternative flights back are only for cash buyers. As this is a miles redemption and we only paid taxes, they can only offer a refund. Although I argued why is there a difference between miles redemption and cash tickets as Virgin Atlantic should offer an alternative flight back home to everyone, she said she could look after availability on Virgin network to return to London (from Miami, New York), but I'll have to pay any miles and taxes difference plus a ticket for Sao Paolo to new departure city.

If this is so, then Virgin Atlantic and Flying Club have a major problem. Why would I trust the company if they could cancel the ticket anytime more than 14 days before the trip, refund the miles and taxes and leave the burden to you to buy a return flight home?

There are some TAP flight options, but I'm afraid if book them now and due to the coronavirus I won't be able to make the trip, travel insurance will deny my claim as I was aware of the virus outbreak at the moment of booking.

Could anyone advise where to complain? Any department i should call again with better trained agents?

Thank you.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
TBH IMHO that's a load of nonsense. There is no mention of any difference between how cash and redeptions are treated on the SAO section here (and the same applies under EU261) which you have reffered to

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...ml#travel-news

I'm going to be charitable and say you got a confused agent - not surprising with all the stuff they are having to deal with at the moment.

So I would call them up again and quote from that page again and also remind them of their obligations under EU261 if the operator can't help you then ask to escalate to a supervisor / manager

But be clear on what you want. Look for reasonable alternative routings and feed those to the agent so give the dates and flight numbers. You might have to vary your trip by a day or so either side so you may need to be flexible. If say the AF.KL flights are already fully booked they can't put you on that flight.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
TBH IMHO that's a load of nonsense. There is no mention of any difference between how cash and redeptions are treated on the SAO section here (and the same applies under EU261) which you have reffered to

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...ml#travel-news

I'm going to be charitable and say you got a confused agent - not surprising with all the stuff they are having to deal with at the moment.

So I would call them up again and quote from that page again and also remind them of their obligations under EU261 if the operator can't help you then ask to escalate to a supervisor / manager

But be clear on what you want. Look for reasonable alternative routings and feed those to the agent so give the dates and flight numbers. You might have to vary your trip by a day or so either side so you may need to be flexible. If say the AF.KL flights are already fully booked they can't put you on that flight.
I searched for return options with Virgin's partners before calling the CS yesterday. Plenty of options with Delta and AF/KLM. According to AF.KL website, it would cost same amount to fly back to Birmingham.

I'll call again this weekend, but if the second agent will offer me just refund, where could I complain? CAA? Most of the things i could find online about EU261 is about delay compensation or cash paid tickets.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Even though VS is obliged to get you to GRU, in practice many airlines just offer refunds for cancellations this far in advance. Especially when the partner airline doesn't have any award space open.

Unfortunately you'll have to keep trying with VS until they rebook you. Or rebook yourself with the intention of taking VS to small claims court later.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Even though VS is obliged to get you to GRU, in practice many airlines just offer refunds for cancellations this far in advance. Especially when the partner airline doesn't have any award space open.

Unfortunately you'll have to keep trying with VS until they rebook you. Or rebook yourself with the intention of taking VS to small claims court later.
There is enough award space open for both of us around the date of return.

I don't think it's good practice from VS or any other airline to insist on just offering refund for cancellation this far in advance. Why would it matter whether is 6 months or 15 days before the flight? Since it's them who cancelled the flights, it shouldn't matter the method of payment.

In this case, it's mentioned on their website passengers will be rebooked on AF.KL flights with no additional costs, no discrimination between cash payers or miles redemptions.

Maybe just my luck speaking with a less experienced agent, but that just made me aware of possible risks when booking redemption flights.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Giboning

I don't think it's good practice from VS or any other airline to insist on just offering refund for cancellation this far in advance. Why would it matter whether is 6 months or 15 days before the flight? Since it's them who cancelled the flights, it shouldn't matter the method of payment.

A lot of people who travel infrequently make statements about how "things should be". And Flyertalk is a forum where people can express such views if they choose.

Then people who travel more often share their experience about how things ARE.

I happen to agree with you, and I'd expect VS to do the right thing eventually. But I'm merely pointing out that airlines aren't big fans of buying tickets for you to travel on another airline, especially when you originally paid using miles...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:18 am
Original Member

I had a redemption booking in upper when Virgin stopped the Hong Kong to Sydney route. They rebooked me onto Cathay Pacific. I even earned BA tier points and avios 😎
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:41 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
When I had two Upper redemptions to Tokyo and VS cancelled the route, we were re-booked on ANA same date straight away without any issue.

Nick
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
When I had two Upper redemptions to Tokyo and VS cancelled the route, we were re-booked on ANA same date straight away without any issue.

Nick
Do you remember if VS offered you a re-route just from their partner's award space openings?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would do the research to determine the specific ST flights you want and then call back and simply ask for the reroute by providing the routing & flight numbers. Make it easy and be polite but firm. Escalate if necessary.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:47 am

Do you remember if VS offered you a re-route just from their partner's award space openings?
IIRC I didn't ask. I was just notified that the route was cancelled, and offered a flight in ANA J the same day.
Again from memory, the only difference was VS flew into Narita and ANA went into Haneda. It was all sorted quite a few weeks before our flight, which was a oneway redemption as we flew on to Australia via KL when we left Japan.
It was all done very amicably without any issue or debate.

Nick
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I would do the research to determine the specific ST flights you want and then call back and simply ask for the reroute by providing the routing & flight numbers. Make it easy and be polite but firm. Escalate if necessary.
Yes, I called again with the all information accumulated today.

Agent told me straight "As you hold a companion voucher, we can't rebook with KLM or Air France as these are only applicable on Virgin Atlantic flight. We will offer you a full refund if you wish to travel before October". Also, she didn't connect me to a supervisor as none available, but said there was a note on my account from my first call and that's all they can do.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:22 am

Yes, I called again with the all information accumulated today.

Agent told me straight "As you hold a companion voucher, we can't rebook with KLM or Air France as these are only applicable on Virgin Atlantic flight. We will offer you a full refund if you wish to travel before October". Also, she didn't connect me to a supervisor as none available, but said there was a note on my account from my first call and that's all they can do.
Ah! You didn't mention the companion voucher in the first post. My redemptions were two 'Gs' using points. I don't know what the T&Cs are for companion tickets, but would suggest that this may be the issue - even though I don't think it should be.

Nick
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Even though VS is obliged to get you to GRU, in practice many airlines just offer refunds for cancellations this far in advance.
That would be even good. Many airlines just want to issue (worthless) vouchers if the airline cancels the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.