Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Virgin Premium Class Worth It? - Corrected

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Is Premium Class Worth It? - Corrected

Going from IAD to LHR. Is Premium really that much different than the rest of the fleet? I've been comfortable in economy classic. How much more comfortable would it be on an overnight flight?

Last edited by spachick; Mar 6, 2020 at 10:11 pm Reason: Wasn’t the correct class inquiring about
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:35 pm

Upper/Business class? Compared to Eco/Prem Eco it’ll be a considerable improvement.

Probably less noticeable on some airlines where long haul and regional hardware are still Angled lie-flats.

Treat yourself and see :-)

personally speaking I’ll always try and go for business class now, especially on overnighters.
spachick and Theirin like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
the difference between an economy seat with limited recline and limited knee room and the lie flay seat / bed in Upper is immense.
spachick and Theirin like this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Is Virgin Premium Class Worth It? - Corrected

Flying Virgin Atlantic Economy Classic from IAD to Heathrow.
How much more comfortable is Premium? I’ve seen the comparison grid online but I want “a butt in the seat” analysis.
Your thoughts? Extra perks?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:17 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
The 'perks' of Premium are well laid out here - https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...and-seats.html

For me it all depends on the price differential, which can vary considerably from a small premium to almost double the cost of an economy seat.

Yes, it is a much better flying experience, and is a very popular class; but until recently it was called 'Premium Economy' and it is exactly that - an enhanced economy product.

The seats are much bigger, but all armrests are fixed, and when the seat in front of you reclines, there isn't THAT much extra space. It is a long way from the Upper Experience. As with many things in life, it is a completely personal choice and there will be varying views as to whether the extra cost is worth it.

Nick
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Premium economy is much better.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:47 am

For comparative purposes, I much prefer Virgins premium product to BA’s equivalent WT+
Kiara likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have generally preferred an exit row seat in Economy to paying the extra for Premium Economy.

But as others have mentioned, it all comes down to the price premium for your exact flights.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Can you afford it?
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Lots of factors. The seat is bigger, the cabin is better on most of the VS fleet. The mini-perks over economy might tick a box.
However, there are still poor seats in PE and weaker Economy to Premium differentials across the fleet (I am not sold on VS A350 PE over Economy for example).

Then of course there is price. For $1 extra I'd usually go for PE, but if $500 more, 1-way, I'd be sticking in economy every time. Somewhere in between is going to hold a fair number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.