Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting together in UC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Sitting together in UC

I have flights booked for my daughter and I to visit London in August. We are booked on the A350 for JFK-LHR, which my research shows as fairly new, and with the reverse herringbone configuration in UC. We are booked in PE, and upgrading to UC looks to be fairly reasonable right now. Based on the reviews and videos I have seen, the new UC cabin looks great. For our return, we'll be on the 787-9, and I gather that rows G and K would be better, since my daughter could convceivably see me from across the aisle, but would love for others to weigh in on their experiences flying UC with companions on these aircraft. (Note that my daughter is 11 and well travelled, so her behavior will not be a concern. Rather, I simply want to avoid her feeling as though she has been "abandoned" during the flight!)

Last edited by NotAFreqFlyer; Jan 3, 2020 at 9:57 am
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I haven’t flown Upper Class yet - trip coming up in 10 days! I just want to suggest checking your reservations maybe every other week and more often when it gets closer. I was booted out of my preferred seat twice over the course of 6 months. Since it’s important for you two to sit close together, you should keep an eye on it. Sometimes the “metal” (plane type) changes and it screws up the seating. I would also suggest sitting as far away from the bar area as possible. What a treat for your daughter. Travel is the BEST education!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NotAFreqFlyer
(Note that my daughter is 11 and well travelled, so her behavior will not be a concern. Rather, I simply want to avoid her feeling as though she has been "abandoned" during the flight!)
She will probably enjoy being left to her own devices. Either next seat over or across the aisle is still quite close enough to check in on regularly.

I'm not sure about the A350 / 787, but the standard UC layout on the older planes allowed you to sit down on the footrest and even eat meals together. Or you could spend time at the bar, especially since JFK-LHR is less likely to be full of boozing holidaymakers.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:39 pm

Just returned from Auckland with 2 of the 4 long haul legs on virgin - Both flights in UC - with a 7 and a 3 year old.

If if you sit next to your daughter sit behind her it’s easier to see her and you’re right the seats are misaligned - so same row number isn’t necessarily he best
Dave737 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
For the 350, sit next to each other in the middle pair. On the 787, I would suggest in front of each other in row A...there is the wal lthere, so a smallish cabin and easily converse sitting front and back. My wife sat on my ottoman for the meal service...it was nice.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by divrdrew
For the 350, sit next to each other in the middle pair. On the 787, I would suggest in front of each other in row A...there is the wal lthere, so a smallish cabin and easily converse sitting front and back. My wife sat on my ottoman for the meal service...it was nice.
Thanks for the 787 feedback. That backs up what I was thinking as we are off to Hong Kong in a few months with a 5 year old in UC. We decided to go with 1A, 2A and 3A with the daughter between us in 2A. Seemed like the best place with the wall on one side and keeping us in front of the rest of the A row passengers. She's a good traveler anyway, but it keeps us a bit more self contained.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by RAPC
Thanks for the 787 feedback. That backs up what I was thinking as we are off to Hong Kong in a few months with a 5 year old in UC. We decided to go with 1A, 2A and 3A with the daughter between us in 2A. Seemed like the best place with the wall on one side and keeping us in front of the rest of the A row passengers. She's a good traveler anyway, but it keeps us a bit more self contained.
That's what I'd do myself, three in a line at the front on the A side. I always select 1A on the 787 as well, quiet and private and gets good service.
RAPC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.