Wiki Posts
Search

UK credit card companion voucher

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:41 am
Original Poster

UK credit card companion voucher

Hi,
After holding the reward+ credit card since launch, I made my first redemption using the companion voucher yesterday. Aside from being a painful experience, I'm interested to gauge opinion, whether their call center advisor was wrong or whether the companion reward is even less useful than I imagined.

I booked a one way LHR-JNB just in Y for myself, wife and two kids. Using one voucher, I was expecting to pay the miles for just two pax as it was a one way. I was told however that the reward can only be used with one companion per booking, so he used half of the reward (saving the other half for another one way booking before the expiry).

If this is true, that essentially means you can't use two rewards together for a return, for a family of four, as you can with the BA amex 241. It's also different to the previous MBNA credit card upgrade vouchers, where they were happy to provide upgrades for 2 pax on a one way rather than one pax return (and using multiple vouchers at the same time e.g. to upgrade 4 pax).

I had a look back at the voucher terms and conditions provided by Virgin Money, but they are pretty useless and don't mention using more than one companion at the same time.

Nick
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:10 pm

I’m not sure what the correct outcome should have been for your situation, but if you have 1 voucher then surely that covers 1 pax free for your paid ticket?

My understanding of the companion voucher, is that it can only be used against a cash fare, but that might be wrong based on the previous vouchers from MBNA. I’m not sure if the T&Cs specify rules for one way or return bookings.

Having said that, I also found it quite difficult to redeem my vouchers recently.

I needed to book 4 flights to Las Vegas, I was using two of the old style MBNA credit card vouchers and two of the new virgin money vouchers. All 4 vouchers allowed for an upgrade from economy to premium but the agent didn’t seem to be able to get the calculations correct and insisted that the “companion” voucher was only valid in economy and we’d have to pay full miles for one of the flights.

After over an hour, I just went with it and said I’d write to customer relations to get a refund of the overpaid miles. Customer relations did refund the miles (plus more) but didn’t actually respond to my email, so I’m still not sure if I was right or he was!

To be fair, the guy I spoke to was nice and seemed to want to get it right but still couldn’t grasp the difference between the vouchers. He also insisted that all 4 pax needed to be on separate bookings which I haven’t come across before on other redemptions using the upgrade vouchers.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nmassey
Hi,
After holding the reward+ credit card since launch, I made my first redemption using the companion voucher yesterday. Aside from being a painful experience, I'm interested to gauge opinion, whether their call center advisor was wrong or whether the companion reward is even less useful than I imagined.

I booked a one way LHR-JNB just in Y for myself, wife and two kids. Using one voucher, I was expecting to pay the miles for just two pax as it was a one way. I was told however that the reward can only be used with one companion per booking, so he used half of the reward (saving the other half for another one way booking before the expiry).

If this is true, that essentially means you can't use two rewards together for a return, for a family of four, as you can with the BA amex 241. It's also different to the previous MBNA credit card upgrade vouchers, where they were happy to provide upgrades for 2 pax on a one way rather than one pax return (and using multiple vouchers at the same time e.g. to upgrade 4 pax).

I had a look back at the voucher terms and conditions provided by Virgin Money, but they are pretty useless and don't mention using more than one companion at the same time.

Nick
I'm not sure you're drawing the correct conclusion from trying to use one companion voucher (valid for a return) and trying to bring two companions along on a one-way.

Although it may have worked that way in the past with the right VS agents, it's not really how the companion vouchers are designed to work.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Probably should have said, I do (or did) have two reward vouchers that I could use. Although I was redeeming it for a one-way flight, the crux of my query is can you only have one companion.

I just dug out the little booklet that came with the card. Interestingly this clearly states:

"Bring a friend of two
One of the only things better than discovering new destinations is discovering them with a friend. And one of the ways you can use your credit card reward is to get a companion ticket, so when you use your miles to buy a reward flight, you can bring a friend along for free. Remember you've got two years to redeem your reward, so you could spend enough to bring along two friends instead of just one"

This would imply the card holder can travel with two other pax, paying a third of the miles if using two rewards together. It doesn't mention one-way trips for companions (only the upgrades) but if you can use half a reward voucher for a one-way, then surely I could have just used half of both vouchers - just the same as using one :-)

I'll get back on the phone to them tomorrow.....
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Siver, VS Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
Did you make any more progress after calling them back Nick?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
I can't get through to VS last couple of days. Is it possible to book ticket online and apply the 2-4-1 voucher later?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I can't get through to VS last couple of days. Is it possible to book ticket online and apply the 2-4-1 voucher later?
Wondering the same! Gave up after 2hrs on hold today. I’m sure vouchers can be retro applied for an adjustment of miles and taxes, but unsure if the current sale accommodates that..
Old Nov 24, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Wondering the same! Gave up after 2hrs on hold today. I’m sure vouchers can be retro applied for an adjustment of miles and taxes, but unsure if the current sale accommodates that..
Not sure either, but all I would say is that if you get on to the call centre a little earlier in the morning UK time, the queue is shorter. Once you get towards 9am, prepare for an hour or more.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:05 am

It was still a 90 min wait, and both calls yielded a no answer to using one of my 3 upgrade/companion vouchers

It will prove very unjust for them to allow some to use these in this sale, and others not.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
It was still a 90 min wait, and both calls yielded a no answer to using one of my 3 upgrade/companion vouchers

It will prove very unjust for them to allow some to use these in this sale, and others not.
I eventually got through and got a voucher upgrade done. Someone mentioned on another website that there is a working breakdown on the VS website with how the sale works with them. Might be worth trying to find that?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I eventually got through and got a voucher upgrade done. Someone mentioned on another website that there is a working breakdown on the VS website with how the sale works with them. Might be worth trying to find that?
So these vouchers CAN be applied? I’m just off from another attempt there where I was told they were disallowed in the sale. Frustrating! I’ll get there eventually I’m sure but the hold times are just so long, each attempt is a process.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)

Definitely can. It is even spelt out on the website: https://www.virginatlantic.com/conte...ck-friday.html - There is a terms and conditions panel that you can expand out at the bottom of the page.

I think agents are reading the line about Points plus money bookings, which is one line before it says that credit card vouchers can be used normally. See below:

Originally Posted by Virgin Atlantic Website
Save 50% when you pay with points - Reward Flight Sale Terms and Conditions

Members do not need to register for this offer. To be eligible for 50% off the required points for a Reward Flight, Members must book through virginatlantic.com or via our contact centre.

Flights must be both operated by Virgin Atlantic and marketed by Virgin Atlantic (flight number starts with VS) to be applicable for the discount. Codeshare flights are excluded from this offer. 

Travel booked and completed in all cabins will be eligible for the discount.

Applicable for Reward Flights booked and tickets issued between 23rd November – 30th November 2020, for travel between 23rd November 2020 – 20 October 2021.

In the case of flight cancellations by Virgin Atlantic, the 50% offer will apply to a rebooking for the same cabin and route, for travel by 20 October 2021.

Reward flights are subject to availability and full taxes, fees and carrier-imposed surcharges apply and are not discounted.

Points Plus Money bookings, Upgrade rewards and Companion rewards are excluded from this offer. Vouchers are combinable with this offer.

Credit Card Vouchers are combinable with this offer:

Companion rewards: For example, book an Economy reward flight from London Heathrow to New York JFK return for 10,000 points in standard season and if you have a credit card voucher, use this to book a companion reward seat for no extra points. Standard voucher terms apply.

Upgrade rewards: For example, book an Economy return reward flight from London Heathrow to Tel Aviv for 9,000 points in standard season and use a credit card voucher to upgrade to Premium for no extra points. Standard voucher terms apply.

Members will earn normal Tier Points for discounted Reward Flights.

This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Virgin Atlantic promotional offer. 

The earning and redemption of Flying Club points are subject to the standard Flying Club Terms & Conditions (which are subject to change from time to time). 
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 10:31 am

Got there in the end and had an error on my favour as they seem to have debited no miles for my companions ticket, as a red member, when it should have been 50% (of the sale price) right?
Old Nov 26, 2020, 3:30 pm

Is anyone else thinking this a crazy good offer? I mean 50% off and combinable with cc voucher?
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2020, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Is anyone else thinking this a crazy good offer? I mean 50% off and combinable with cc voucher?
Sure is, but I guess some of the fanfare has been taken from BA having offered similar just last month.
kitbag1984 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.