Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New a350 seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:14 am
Original Poster

New a350 seat

Very interesting to see the new Ba seat revealed today and this is pure speculation on my part but i imagine that the Virgin seat is going to be on par or maybe even better as its never nice to be outdone by a direct competitor :-)
Just wondering if anybody has any dates etc for the potential press release date?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: VS Gold
Apparently there is a press event on 8th April. Presumably this will be the "big reveal".

I wondered if the announcement of said press event accelerated BA's plans to reveal their own seat ahead of Virgin.

I, along with a few others, were invited to offer some feedback on the name of the new seat, every suggestion from VS included the word "Suite", so one must wonder if it's a similar seat that comes with a door.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
These events are planned well in advance so I don't think BA brought their announcement forward just because of the VS reveal.

One of the bloggers intimated that they had today as the BA reveal date in the diary (and there were some press briefings for then at the end of last week) for a good few weeks and before VS had released their date.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:02 am

Virgin are going to have to do very well to beat BA's new club suite. Be interesting to see.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
I, along with a few others, were invited to offer some feedback on the name of the new seat, every suggestion from VS included the word "Suite", so one must wonder if it's a similar seat that comes with a door.
I wouldn't be too sure or read too much into the word "suite". Remember, back in 2012 (or so), they announced the "Upper Class Dream Suite" on the A330-300, in a 1-2-1 configuration. The product was so horribly received that it has since been removed. That "suite" had no door.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: VS Gold
That's true, yeah.
Funny thing is, "Dream Suite" was one of the potential options floated by Virgin as a name for their A350 product. Short memories it seems!

Last edited by SlimpyJones; Mar 28, 2019 at 3:50 am Reason: Terrible phone spelling
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I think the word Suite had a different meaning in 2012
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
These events are planned well in advance so I don't think BA brought their announcement forward just because of the VS reveal.

One of the bloggers intimated that they had today as the BA reveal date in the diary (and there were some press briefings for then at the end of last week) for a good few weeks and before VS had released their date.
The Virgin date was revealed first but I'm not sure BA pulled theirs forward on purpose. The BA 'event' was just a drop-in session in a hotel conference room where you could pop in during the day and try on the virtual reality goggles. We got nothing to take away and were only emailed images an hour before publication.

The Virgin event invite implies it will be the most amazing experience since, well, perhaps even Scott and Charlene's wedding on Neighbours.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:37 am

Come on VS, I'm waiting for this new Magical virgin flair seat!
I wanna be WOWED.
Well not the bankrupt WOW-ed,but you know what I mean..

what time is the reveal today?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
The first preview:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...tlantic-cabin/

Summary posted one below (thanks @UKtravelbear)

Last edited by citiflyerUK; Apr 8, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
Please don't just post a bald link. You are expected as per FT rules to provide a summary of articles.

Also it's behind a paywall!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Please don't just post a bald link. You are expected as per FT rules to provide a summary of articles.

Also it's behind a paywall!
Sorry!

Brief summary:
44 new "suites" in 1-2-1 configuration (with half privacy” door - it only half closes - to maintain a link between staff and passengers)
20" seat will recline to create 82" bed.
18.5" TV screen
New "Loft" lounge - the bar is gone but offering seating in lounge layout with "bowl" food.
Personalised mood lighting in each suite, with better reading lights; a deep mattress and the thickest pillow in the sky; pre-ordered personalised pyjamas - trousers or shorts and long-sleeve top or T-shirt; and toiletries in large sizes that you will be encouraged to keep, so you don’t have to pack any.

Premium Economy:
56 seats in 2-4-2 Config
13.3" Screen

Economy:
3-3-3 config
First 36 seats will have 34" seat pitch.

New food in all cabins.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
The quote from Telegraph including the brilliant quote from CEO
There’s a “half privacy” door - it only half closes - to maintain a link between staff and passengers. “The people who love us, we love them right back and that means we have to be able to see them,” says Shai Weiss, Virgin Atlantic’s CEO since the turn of the year.
Don't get me wrong, a door isn't what would cause me to make my decision, although it could certainly be worth a few points. But what do we think the real reason for this would be? Cost? Design? Honestly seems quite surprising considering the competition from BA. Though ultimately, can you really call it a door if it doesn't close?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
The Virgin date was revealed first but I'm not sure BA pulled theirs forward on purpose.
Quite so. My understanding is that BA was initially aiming for end of March but aware that the slated March 29th Brexit Day would have sucked up all the oxygen and ink, they wisely shifted the 'launch' date forward by a few weeks.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:13 am

And while I'm here;
* Upper Class suites are indeed semi-suites, with a door that closes only halfway (sounds like a Zen question: is the suite half-closed, or half-open)
* Suites are forward facing but angled towards the windows
* New PJs in a choice of long or short tops and bottoms
* The Loft lobby area is like a smaller-scale version of the Etihad or even Qatar A380 social spaces. 32" telly should make live sports fun for The Loft crowd, maybe not so much if you're seated too close to the cheers or moans.

The Loft on Virgin Atlantic's new Airbus A350

More at https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-atla...t-bar-revealed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.