Search

Wearing a moon boot

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:08 pm
formerly known as lady1964
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Wearing a moon boot

Hi, this is my first post on this forum and I’d be really grateful for advice.

Hubby & I are flying LHR-JFK,staying in NY for 4 nights then head back to JFK for a flight to MBJ for 9 nights then MBJ-JFK-LHR, all this is happening late April and flying UC on VS & 1st class on Delta.

At the beginning of January, I broke my fibula and at this point, I’m wearing a moon boot and using crutches as the bone is not fully healed and I’m not fully weight bearing.

I’m looking for advice as to whether I should request special assistance at any of the airports we will be flying from/to, I would prefer not to have to use a wheelchair, however I’m concerned that there will be a lot of walking and standing waiting in line. I realise this is all 7 or 8 weeks away, however, I’m very much a forward planner and of course, I don’t want to risk doing further damage to my ankle through not at least looking into this and taking advice.

i plan to have the moon boot with me as it will be supportive during our NY stay, I will possibly have my crutches too for the extra support. I would be really grateful for advice, thanks in advance.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Book the wheelchair service. There's no shame in skipping the security queues and being the first to board!
altabello likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: IHG Platinum; Marriott Silver; Avis president's: Hertz President's
The biggest benefit of the assistance is probably in disembarkation - having a seat to queue for immigration, or even being wheeled past the queue.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:02 pm

Get the wheelchair service. Save the heroics for the actual vacation, not for the getting to and from it.

I wish you quick and uneventful healing from your fracture.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Speaks to special assistance anyway about your bone break.

They will advise you of any documentation you may need to have ready at checkin such as a fit to fly certificate from your doctor.

Best to get that sort of thing resolved in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:54 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
The other thing to make sure is that your travel insurance company are happy to continue to cover you with a ‘pre-existing condition’.
You don’t want massive bills if you slip and re-injure yourself

Nick
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
If your boot has an air bladder..,

...be sure to loosen it when flying. It will inflate and cut off your circulation if you don’t. I learned this lesson the hard way. Not only was it painful, but I ended up in the ER a few days later with cellulitis, possibly caused by poor circulation.
craigthemif and roberto99 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies, they are much appreciated.

I have booked the wheelchair service for each sector and my insurance will cover the broken bone as an acceptable condition but I will give them a call to be safe.
I’m able to remove the boot when relaxing and can walk around a bit without it so that won’t be a problem.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:22 pm

Better to have the wheelchair for security, they will want to xray the boot and crutches. By the way a moon boot is a fashion item, I assume you mean an orthopedic boot?

I did 5 days in Iceland and two weeks in Scotland in a boot and on crutches, I had a great trip.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Better to have the wheelchair for security, they will want to xray the boot and crutches. By the way a moon boot is a fashion item, I assume you mean an orthopedic boot?

I did 5 days in Iceland and two weeks in Scotland in a boot and on crutches, I had a great trip.
yes, I do mean an orthopaedic boot that can inflate, thank you. I’ll probably leave the crutches at home but I have a CT scan and a follow up fracture clinic appointment 3 weeks before we leave so will adhere to advice given then.

I do appreciate the replies, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.