Wiki Posts
Search

Who can change a booking

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Who can change a booking

Hi,
I am booked on a Vs flight in April along with husband and our daughter. Due to marriage breakdown I'm looking at options for changing the trip, but that got me thinking, can my husband change the trip even though I booked and paid for the trip?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:25 am

Sorry to read about your situation.

It’s usually the lead passenger that can change the booking, if you made the booking it should only be you that can change it.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Every passenger has his own ticket. Thus, there is no "lead" passenger on a ticket. Multiple tickets may be and often are combined into a single PNR, but that is not relevant to the ticket.

While you as the payor or your husband as the customer may cancel his ticket, the refund, if any for the cancellation will be applied to the original form of payment. If that form of payment was a credit card in your name, the refund will be to your credit card.

Best and easiest to put this on the list of things for your respective lawyers / solicitors to deal with.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA & Flying Club
Originally Posted by Often1
Best and easiest to put this on the list of things for your respective lawyers / solicitors to deal with.
Id imagine the reason shes asked here is to see if theres a simple way to do it. Getting Solicitors involved with an air fare change will probably cost far more than the air fare itself.
roberto99 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Certainly not suggesting that one retain a solicitor for the purpose. If you read what I wrote, I specifically suggested putting this issue "on the list of things".

If this is acrimonious, there will be a long list of them and putting them on a list to be dealt with is a smart thing. If this is not acrimonious, then there is nothing to worry about in the first place as OP and the soon to be former spouse can simply deal with the cancellation and refund as it ought to be.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It depends what the OP wants to happen or possibly prevent.

If she is worried that her husband will cancel the whole trip and cause her to lose a chunk of the fare then that is a different issue to cancelling just his ticket.

If her husband is a nominee on her account I would start by calling VS and removing him and also changing the password to her account.

I have heard that it sometimes possible to add some extra protection by asking an airline to require a second password / answer an additional security question before any changes to bookings can be made so she should discuss that with VS to see if that is an option.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the help, I was worried that he would be able to change or cancel my flight, it is a non refundable fare so I know I cant get a refund.
I phoned virgin and they have split the PNR so he cannot make any changes to my flight.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Louidenise
Hi, thanks for the help, I was worried that he would be able to change or cancel my flight, it is a non refundable fare so I know I cant get a refund.
I phoned virgin and they have split the PNR so he cannot make any changes to my flight.
Does he have enough information to access your FlyingClub account?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Making sure he is not authorised on your FC account is key. It would be a good idea to ring and de-authorise him from the account if has has been authorised previously.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA & Flying Club
Originally Posted by Often1
Certainly not suggesting that one retain a solicitor for the purpose. If you read what I wrote, I specifically suggested putting this issue "on the list of things".

If this is acrimonious, there will be a long list of them and putting them on a list to be dealt with is a smart thing. If this is not acrimonious, then there is nothing to worry about in the first place as OP and the soon to be former spouse can simply deal with the cancellation and refund as it ought to be.
Putting it on a lost of things will just cost money. Probably a lot by the way Solicitors charge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.