Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Question (Possibly a daft one!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA & Virgin Flying Club
Thumbs up Newbie Question (Possibly a daft one!)

Hi all, Brand new to this so please go gentle.
I have been collecting Avios point for years now and have recently decided to move to the Virgin Flying Club (a few trips planned to the states over the next 2 years or so).
Due to a big birthday for the wife approaching in 2020, we are focused on earning as many miles as possible over the coming 12-18 months before we book.

Which leads me to my question:
I have a small loan with Lloyds bank (around £2000 balance left) which I am about to pay off and close.
So I thought, well if I have the money to pay & close it, why not use the Virgin Mastercard and pay it that way, then settle the balance on the card?
Now does this count as a purchase or will they sting me as they will see it as a money purchase so to speak (Like withdrawing money on the card)?
More importantly , will i earn the precious miles I'm looking for?

Thanks for any advice guys,
I look forward to reading up on all your ideas here and hopefully contributing as I go along.

Thanks.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Welcome to FT

Whether this counts as a money purchase or not depends on the code Lloyds would apply to a transaction and being a bank it would more than likely be coded as a money transaction and attract interest immediately.

from V money website

You won’t earn miles on any cash transactions, balance transfers or money transfers.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:48 pm

As above, a money transfer doesn’t count towards bonus point spend or earn anyother points.

Having said that, I find it really easy to earn points through the Virgin e-shops site and if you can easily spend £10k on the virgin card, you could get value from the upgrade voucher.

The BA Premium card would still probably work out better, even though I far prefer Virgin!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA & Flying Club
Originally Posted by travellingjake

The BA Premium card would still probably work out better, even though I far prefer Virgin!
‘Out of interest why do you think the BA card I’d better than the Virgin one?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Vivalasvegas

‘Out of interest why do you think the BA card I’d better than the Virgin one?
Proper 2-4-1. Virgin version is poor In comparison.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
@Highfx
Do you read the Head for Points site? You may find it useful. Maybe browse the articles and comments about the Curve card.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Highfx
I have a small loan with Lloyds bank (around £2000 balance left) which I am about to pay off and close.
So I thought, well if I have the money to pay & close it, why not use the Virgin Mastercard and pay it that way, then settle the balance on the card?
It's worth reiterating that making full payment each month on any miles-earning credit card is crucial. If you run a balance you will be paying far more in interest than the value of any miles earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.