Upper class redemption

Old Nov 17, 18, 8:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Upper class redemption

Hi all

I'm looking for advice and opinions on which aircraft operate the ''best' upper class product. I am flying next summer and there is currently availability from LHR on both dreamliner and airbus to New York on the days I'm looking to fly. I've never flown virgin upper so appreciate all comments.

Thanks
Mmam is offline  
Old Nov 17, 18, 8:47 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: IAD/DCA
Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 967
By far the most important thing is avoiding the A330ís that still have the 1-2-1 seat configuration. Hopefully there arenít many of these left.

Beyond that I donít find a lot of difference. The 787ís will be newer and in better condition overall, have bigger overhead bins, are quieter and more humid, but I found the bed harder. Anything in particular that youíre looking for or value?
ctbarron is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 2:15 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by ctbarron View Post
By far the most important thing is avoiding the A330ís that still have the 1-2-1 seat configuration. Hopefully there arenít many of these left.

Beyond that I donít find a lot of difference. The 787ís will be newer and in better condition overall, have bigger overhead bins, are quieter and more humid, but I found the bed harder. Anything in particular that youíre looking for or value?

Hi thanks for taking the time to comment as it is the daytime flight I don't mind too much about sleeping but would prefer the aircraft that offers the best on board experience, bar, entertainment, seat config etc.

​​​​
Mmam is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 4:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Mmam View Post
Hi thanks for taking the time to comment as it is the daytime flight I don't mind too much about sleeping but would prefer the aircraft that offers the best on board experience, bar, entertainment, seat config etc.

​​​​
If it's a daytime flight, personally, I like the 747 a lot. The seats are a little more worn and the bar can make things more noisy towards the back of the cabin, but it's just so spacious. Sitting in the middle of the cabin (8-9) feels IMO more like a small lounge than the usual plane experience because there are no middle seats - you can see this a little here.

Failing that, the 787 with greater humidity and better cabin pressurization has the best experience primarily for those reasons, plus the seats are newer, although not as new as on the refurbished A333s.

Personally, I think the A333s are fine but I'd rather be on a 747 or 787, and I'd avoid the A340s where possible.
Theirin is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:24 am
  #5  
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: www.V-Flyer.com
Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Posts: 2,083
My own purely personal observations to this debate - I don't think the hard product on a day flight varies that much.
The main attraction to me of flying Upper Class for the first time would be the Clubhouse experience. The on board service levels are dictated by the crew rather than the plane you are on -get a good FSM who motivates his / her team and a flight in Upper can be great.
The other thing to remember if you set your heart on a particular type of plane, it that VS only have a small mixed fleet; and changes of plane are fairly common, either in the weeks / months before flight or right up to the day itself.

My choice of flight to New York would be dictated by the departure / arrival time that suits me best, rather than the metal I could be sat in. The exception to this would possibly be the chance to fly a 747 again before they disappear from the skies.

Nick
Nottingham Nick is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 9:18 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,650
I agree with Nick

Pick flight times based on the departure / arrival time that suits your plans the best rather than fixate on a particular plane type.

BTW ALL the A330-300's have been retrofitted in the 1-1-1 configuration.
Yoshi212 likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Nov 18, 18 at 9:24 am
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Nov 18, 18, 11:31 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, we are happy with the timing of the dreamliner so happy to book that outbound. The latest inbound flight seems to be a delta flight DL3 does anybody have experience of delta one?
Mmam is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 12:45 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,650
DeltaOne is an excellent product. I actually prefer the seat to VSs as it is more controlable from upright to flat bed
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Nov 18, 18, 5:20 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
DeltaOne is an excellent product. I actually prefer the seat to VSs as it is more controlable from upright to flat bed
Fab, that seems perfect for the night flight back then. As an aside would you say delta one is a better product than BA CW on a 777-200. That was my last transatlantic night flight experience and I slept amazingly!
Mmam is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 6:13 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 181
Originally Posted by Mmam View Post
Fab, that seems perfect for the night flight back then. As an aside would you say delta one is a better product than BA CW on a 777-200. That was my last transatlantic night flight experience and I slept amazingly!
I would say that BA CW on the 772s is possibly the worst Transatlantic business class experience. Issues with the CW seat aside, those planes are rather nasty. But yes, the Delta One seat (the old version as well as the new) is IMO a far better product than BA's CW seats.
Theirin is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:11 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,650
D1 is all aisle access as well (as is VS) the sooner BA does this - promised to start from the middle of next year - the better. I don’t want to climb over other people and nor do I want others climbing over me!
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Nov 19, 18, 12:46 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
D1 is all aisle access as well (as is VS) the sooner BA does this - promised to start from the middle of next year - the better. I donít want to climb over other people and nor do I want others climbing over me!
Fair enough I was travelling with someone so it wasn't as awkward logistically than being seated next to a stranger. Anyhow it seems like the flightsi I have looked at this time around will be great. Thanks for all your insight!
Mmam is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread