Wiki Posts
Search

Upper class redemption

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Upper class redemption

Hi all

I'm looking for advice and opinions on which aircraft operate the ''best' upper class product. I am flying next summer and there is currently availability from LHR on both dreamliner and airbus to New York on the days I'm looking to fly. I've never flown virgin upper so appreciate all comments.

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
By far the most important thing is avoiding the A330’s that still have the 1-2-1 seat configuration. Hopefully there aren’t many of these left.

Beyond that I don’t find a lot of difference. The 787’s will be newer and in better condition overall, have bigger overhead bins, are quieter and more humid, but I found the bed harder. Anything in particular that you’re looking for or value?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctbarron
By far the most important thing is avoiding the A330’s that still have the 1-2-1 seat configuration. Hopefully there aren’t many of these left.

Beyond that I don’t find a lot of difference. The 787’s will be newer and in better condition overall, have bigger overhead bins, are quieter and more humid, but I found the bed harder. Anything in particular that you’re looking for or value?

Hi thanks for taking the time to comment as it is the daytime flight I don't mind too much about sleeping but would prefer the aircraft that offers the best on board experience, bar, entertainment, seat config etc.

​​​​
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Mmam
Hi thanks for taking the time to comment as it is the daytime flight I don't mind too much about sleeping but would prefer the aircraft that offers the best on board experience, bar, entertainment, seat config etc.

​​​​
If it's a daytime flight, personally, I like the 747 a lot. The seats are a little more worn and the bar can make things more noisy towards the back of the cabin, but it's just so spacious. Sitting in the middle of the cabin (8-9) feels IMO more like a small lounge than the usual plane experience because there are no middle seats - you can see this a little here.

Failing that, the 787 with greater humidity and better cabin pressurization has the best experience primarily for those reasons, plus the seats are newer, although not as new as on the refurbished A333s.

Personally, I think the A333s are fine but I'd rather be on a 747 or 787, and I'd avoid the A340s where possible.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:24 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
My own purely personal observations to this debate - I don't think the hard product on a day flight varies that much.
The main attraction to me of flying Upper Class for the first time would be the Clubhouse experience. The on board service levels are dictated by the crew rather than the plane you are on -get a good FSM who motivates his / her team and a flight in Upper can be great.
The other thing to remember if you set your heart on a particular type of plane, it that VS only have a small mixed fleet; and changes of plane are fairly common, either in the weeks / months before flight or right up to the day itself.

My choice of flight to New York would be dictated by the departure / arrival time that suits me best, rather than the metal I could be sat in. The exception to this would possibly be the chance to fly a 747 again before they disappear from the skies.

Nick
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I agree with Nick

Pick flight times based on the departure / arrival time that suits your plans the best rather than fixate on a particular plane type.

BTW ALL the A330-300's have been retrofitted in the 1-1-1 configuration.
Yoshi212 likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Nov 18, 2018 at 9:24 am
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, we are happy with the timing of the dreamliner so happy to book that outbound. The latest inbound flight seems to be a delta flight DL3 does anybody have experience of delta one?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DeltaOne is an excellent product. I actually prefer the seat to VSs as it is more controlable from upright to flat bed
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
DeltaOne is an excellent product. I actually prefer the seat to VSs as it is more controlable from upright to flat bed
Fab, that seems perfect for the night flight back then. As an aside would you say delta one is a better product than BA CW on a 777-200. That was my last transatlantic night flight experience and I slept amazingly!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mmam
Fab, that seems perfect for the night flight back then. As an aside would you say delta one is a better product than BA CW on a 777-200. That was my last transatlantic night flight experience and I slept amazingly!
I would say that BA CW on the 772s is possibly the worst Transatlantic business class experience. Issues with the CW seat aside, those planes are rather nasty. But yes, the Delta One seat (the old version as well as the new) is IMO a far better product than BA's CW seats.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

D1 is all aisle access as well (as is VS) the sooner BA does this - promised to start from the middle of next year - the better. I don’t want to climb over other people and nor do I want others climbing over me!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
D1 is all aisle access as well (as is VS) the sooner BA does this - promised to start from the middle of next year - the better. I don’t want to climb over other people and nor do I want others climbing over me!
Fair enough I was travelling with someone so it wasn't as awkward logistically than being seated next to a stranger. Anyhow it seems like the flightsi I have looked at this time around will be great. Thanks for all your insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.