Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Virgin from London to Cancun. SAE (electronic authorisation) Scheme.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I am a Russian passport holder, planning to fly to Cancun from London by Virgin.
According to information from the Mexican Embassy, I can fly by using Electronic Authorization System (SAE).

But airline should be in SAE Scheme/ able to verify electronic authorization and Embassy advised me to contact the airline.
The embassy also officially published on their website that all participants of IATA are parts of SAE Scheme/accept electronic authorization.

Iata site provides me info that Virgin should use SAE/accept.

Asked Virgin and they are trying to get a clear answer from their staff but meanwhile, I would like to get more evidence.

Did anyone fly using SAE by Virgin last few years?

Thank you!
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Upsh
Hello,

I am a Russian passport holder, planning to fly to Cancun from London by Virgin.
According to information from the Mexican Embassy, I can fly by using Electronic Authorization System (SAE).

But airline should be in SAE Scheme/ able to verify electronic authorization and Embassy advised me to contact the airline.
The embassy also officially published on their website that all participants of IATA are parts of SAE Scheme/accept electronic authorization.

Iata site provides me info that Virgin should use SAE/accept.

Asked Virgin and they are trying to get a clear answer from their staff but meanwhile, I would like to get more evidence.

Did anyone fly using SAE by Virgin last few years?

Thank you!
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

One thing you can do is to check IATA TIMATIC, since the airlines use TIMATIC to consult for allowing passengers to fly or not. Some airlines have versions of TIMATIC they make available to the public; the core is all the same. United Airlines provides TIMATIC here: link. You could print out the results to present at the ticket counter.

This question is best asked of Virgin frequent flyers, so we will move this to the appropriate forum and leave a trailing link so you can find this thread easily.

Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

One thing you can do is to check IATA TIMATIC, since the airlines use TIMATIC to consult for allowing passengers to fly or not. Some airlines have versions of TIMATIC they make available to the public; the core is all the same. United Airlines provides TIMATIC here link. You could print out the results to present at the ticket counter.

This question is best asked of Virgin frequent flyers, so we will move this to the appropriate forum and leave a trailing link so you can find this thread easily.

Thank you. I also found that SAE should be accepted by the VirginAtlantic according to iatatravelcentre dot com. I did not found timatic on the VirginAtlantic website. Virginatlantic can not confirm SAE still...Should travel with kids, don't want issues.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Got a respond from VirginAtlantic. TIMATIC and Embassy rules look irrelevant to them - how it can be possible ?!
  1. Hi Vlad, Apologies for my delayed response. I've just had a discussion with the manager of our Border Security department and our duty manager at Gatwick Airport regarding this. I can definitively confirm that we are not members of the SAE scheme so you will not be able to travel to Mexico with us using an electronic authorisation. As such, you will need to obtain a consular visa. Please allow me to explain. Our manager of Border Security will investigate this with IATA and if it's a straight forward process for us to join the SAE scheme he will do this. However, this is very unlikely, and he has advised that the process is expected to be quite lengthy and ma
  2. Do you use TIMATIC?
  3. Our airport staff do use TIMATIC yes. But this is irrelevant I'm afraid. I'm sorry this is disappinting news for you, but there isn't anything more we can do. ^SR
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:52 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Not my area of expertise, so can't comment on the legitimacy of the response; but I am afraid that, whether you agree with their reply or not, I would assume that they will have put a note on your booking that you have been told you will require a consular visa. If you don't do this, I would expect that there will certainly be issues if you turn up hoping to fly without one.

Nick
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply.
I have to correct my previous post. VirginAtlantic refused to accept part of Mexican Embassy rules - an electronic authorisation - I totally disagree with such a position, but they accepted another part - Schengen visa and UK BRP (as a valid UK visa). Holders of such valid visas can travel to Mexico without a mexican visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.