Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VA companion vouchers, old and new

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

VA companion vouchers, old and new

Not seen a recent dedicated thread for this, so thought I would start one.

I have a companion voucher (old black card), 2 x premium upgrades (old black card) and a new companion voucher (new mastercard). I am Gold status.

I have been told you can now book I class tickets for Upper which are clearly cheaper than J, but still pricey. Does anyone have any views or answers as to whether this is worthwhile? First glance, I see LHR-HKG as £3500 per person cheapest upper fare return or £5300 in I class. So while the companion addition would cheapen this, with taxes it would only be just below 2 x cheapest upper cash fares. Am I missing something? Or should I just discard this rather useless old companion voucher?

Regarding the Premium Upgrades, are they worth anything? I've not heard or read much about them. I guess if you can get a reward sale economy flight, then pay PE taxes, it kind of works out ok value?

And finally, anybody had any experience of using the 241 voucher on the new card? I am Gold so it has a lot of value for me. LHR-HKG for 115k miles + £1160 taxes, compared to £7k in cash, for 2 pax.

Thanks all.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
The old companions can be used for I class and above. Sometimes I class are a few hundred pounds more than Z fares - in which case I view them as good value, but much beyond £3k, I don't think they are worth it as they don't have the CDC anymore.

New 2-4-1 is much better. £10k/20k spend for a proper 2-4-1 voucher is very good value.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
There's no real substitute for doing the maths on the flights you wish to book.

2 x cheapest fare in Upper Class vs. 1 qualifying fare + taxes/surcharges on companion.

You will probably save some money, but not so much that you will be thrilled to have bothered earning the companion vouchers...
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:25 am

I've just used 2 of the "old" premium upgrade vouchers which were well worth it IMO.

Wanted to go to Orlando at fairly short notice, 10 weeks advance or so. Economy flights were £790 return from Glasgow, PE was £1350. Managed to find 2 award seats in PE (you only need award seats available in PE, not in Economy), PE taxes were £380 each plus 25k miles for the economy redemption. Really good value, effectively made the voucher worth £720 in my situation (if you value the points at 1p).

YMMV depending on when and where you use them I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.