Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time for Virgin to become a LCC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Time for Virgin to become a LCC

If I was in charge of VS these days, I would immediately turn the airline into a LCC and hope to capture the growing budget travel market.

VS as a full service airline has been losing money for years, and cannot compete with BA let alone the ME3 or US3.

VS need to be brave again, and create LH/ULH low cost flights to exciting destinations such as HKT, LKW, DPS, DAD, also, NAS, MBJ, BGI, UVF, PUJ, or even HGH, SEZ, and MLE.

I see what Qantas did from LHR-PER - 2 decades ago that would have been Virgin leading the way... nowadays they struggle for an identity.

LCC is the way to go, especially with their coveted LHR landing slots, which easily separates from Norwegian, Easyjet, and the like.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Obviously you've never negotiated anything with a labour union... A good way for VS to become a bankrupt, liquidated former airline would be to impose LCC practices on their employees...
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:57 pm

Quite simply I don't VS has the cost base or scale to become a LH ULCC or capital to do it. Given the airlines significant partnership with DL and soon AF/KL I don't think they would be too happy to convert the airline to an LCC either and have a significant change in organizational direction.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
But it seems to be the general trend these days. I had a long talk with someone who works at bmi Regional yesterday and he sees the future of aviation in Europe as being ULCC, from the point of view of making money and being profitable. He reckons bmi Regional will adopt this model in due course. It is a shame but it is an unforgiving and fragile industry. I don't think VS could be transformed into an LCC overnight but I expect that aspects of it will become more present as time goes on.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Concerto
But it seems to be the general trend these days. I had a long talk with someone who works at bmi Regional yesterday and he sees the future of aviation in Europe as being ULCC, from the point of view of making money and being profitable. He reckons bmi Regional will adopt this model in due course. It is a shame but it is an unforgiving and fragile industry. I don't think VS could be transformed into an LCC overnight but I expect that aspects of it will become more present as time goes on.
As long as people will book LCCs to save £10 (even though they spend an extra £30 on board or at the airport) the airlines will have to chase the consumers downmarket.

We will also end up with every hotel charging £50 per night with an additional £50 of "resort fee".
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
VS need to be brave again, and create LH/ULH low cost flights to exciting destinations such as HKT, LKW, DPS, DAD, also, NAS, MBJ, BGI, UVF, PUJ, or even HGH, SEZ, and MLE.
In British-English, "brave" means "insane and dangerous idea."
You are asking VS to walk away from their whole Frequent Flier base, exit all profitable flying and suffer the start up costs and losses of entering new markets where they have zero market share. Now if SRB wanted to do that, he should start a new business, not try and adapt an existing business to shoehorn it in there.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
We will also end up with every hotel charging £50 per night with an additional £50 of "resort fee".
That we won’t have. The current mandatory ones don’t have a future, at least not for anyone selling in Europe.

We may start to see optional resort fees but they will have to be for genuinely optional services - like the ancillary fees on airlines.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This hotel resort fee nonsense, even in business cities like New York, has crept out of the woodwork unannounced like an army of bedbugs. This was unthinkable before, but I remember back in the early 2000s paying just a handful of dollars/francs for the taxes on award tickets to places like Hong Kong, New York. And now we are paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars in taxes and award fees (or, bogus surcharges, as I cal them), sometimes closer to 1,000 dollars.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
This hotel resort fee nonsense, even in business cities like New York, has crept out of the woodwork unannounced like an army of bedbugs. This was unthinkable before, but I remember back in the early 2000s paying just a handful of dollars/francs for the taxes on award tickets to places like Hong Kong, New York. And now we are paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars in taxes and award fees (or, bogus surcharges, as I cal them), sometimes closer to 1,000 dollars.
100% agree. Up there with the 10% Service charge.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's all getting very grabby for money, isn't it?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
LCC is the way to go, especially with their coveted LHR landing slots, which easily separates from Norwegian, Easyjet, and the like.

You realize they already serve several of these destinations (MBJ, BGI, UVF).

I don't think an LCC is the right approach, in general, for an airline based out of LHR. Those slots can and should be used for high-yielding traffic, otherwise tons of money is left on the table.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's all getting very grabby for money, isn't it?
Capitalism
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I hope VS does not follow the LCC strategy and it is what sets them apart from others at the moment. BA already does it in their intra Europe routes.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
VS as a full service airline has been losing money for years
What is your source for this claim? According to the FT they reported their first loss for 4 years in March. In 2016 they made a profit of $23m. Hardly "years" ago.

https://www.ft.com/content/a81e071a-2847-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
In what way is it not a LCC? With the economy fares unbundling, they are competing in the LCC market. If they can use their brand to get higher yielding customers too, stick with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.