Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New VAA UK credit cards released!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:13 am

Right. Sounds like fun!

Thanks for the info and thanks for paving the way. Maybe they'll take notice and update their training
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Can anyone who took this card out after receiving the X miles for Y monthly spend offer, share when the bonus miles have posted?

I'm having real trouble with this offer after being told I didn't meet the spend requirement for the first period before the first period was even supposed to end, and then in the second period I met the spend and got no miles (so far).

VM don't seem as interested to assist as MBNA or Amex would be in the same circumstances, simply offering to put in a complaint for me about the first period ending early rather than trying to resolve the issue!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Can anyone who took this card out after receiving the X miles for Y monthly spend offer, share when the bonus miles have posted?

I'm having real trouble with this offer after being told I didn't meet the spend requirement for the first period before the first period was even supposed to end, and then in the second period I met the spend and got no miles (so far).

VM don't seem as interested to assist as MBNA or Amex would be in the same circumstances, simply offering to put in a complaint for me about the first period ending early rather than trying to resolve the issue!
I think I missed out on the bonus miles per month offer (though we'll see). Having said that, I did speak to a rep at a VM store a couple of weeks ago, and they told me basically that although VM provide the cards (and the fixed rate Flying Club saver), they don't manage the offers/have detailed knowledge or the Ts&Cs. That might just apply to this individual rep/store but the impression I got was that VM are quite hands-off with the cards and as far as they're concerned responsibility for the rewards/miles sits with VA.

ETA to clarify the last sentence.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer

Mrs RAPC has the card and had the 6k x 3 offer. Hit the first month requirement and they didn't post as part of the bonus miles. So far Virgin Money have been consistently useless, having claimed that they had posted, (they hadn't) then that she hadn't spent enough (she had) and now that they should post within 60 days of the end of the first month. Has anyone else had them through yet? I suspect the last update from them is as accurate as the first two reasons.

She has also had issues with the direct debit payments. They set it up to default to minimum payment. My wife changed it to pay in full, only to notice this week that they took the minimum at the start of the week. Tried to change it again online and it saves to pay in full. Go back to check it and it has defaulted back to minimum. She has spoken to the call centre who can see no record of her changing it and they confirmed she would have to pay interest for not paying in full. I've ended up speaking to the agent to escalate it to have the interest removed, have them apply the change to full payment each month and then to raise a ticket about the fault. 15 minutes of argument later, they agreed to waive any interest, kept asking us to change it manually online whilst on the call, which still didn't work and they didn't seem to believe it. Eventually, they did it and mentioned that they would 'mention' the issue. Absolutely useless experiences with them so far. Complete opposite to how I have found dealing with AMEX and MBNA.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:55 am

Just double checked my DD instructions on the site after reading that. Thankfully it shows pay in full.

If I have any real trouble I'll be tempted to cancel and get a partial refund of the fee once the welcome bonus has posted, especially since I've booked most of my VS flights with them already with the extra miles rewards.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Theirin
If I have any real trouble I'll be tempted to cancel and get a partial refund of the fee once the welcome bonus has posted, especially since I've booked most of my VS flights with them already with the extra miles rewards.
Ermm , I don't think that is possible with this card rather like the MBNA Black it has replaced.

N.B. My Bolding for ease of understanding
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Ermm , I don't think that is possible with this card rather like the MBNA Black it has replaced.<br /><br />N.B. My Bolding for ease of understanding
Hopefully then there won't be any issues, or if they are they'll be severe enough to claim failure to provide service. But hopefully not.

At least complaints and redress are covered by the FOS.

Last edited by Theirin; Aug 31, 2018 at 10:24 am Reason: None of the text actually posted.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:38 pm

My partner has the card and the first period’s bonus points didn’t post until the statement for the second period. This was apparently in the T&Cs but it’s his card so I haven’t read them, does seem like the bonus points post a month in arrears.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:52 pm

Has anyone successfully applied for both cards - the free version and the rewards plus? I've held the free version for about 4 months and thinking of applying for the plus version. Would I still receive the bonus points and the 2 for 1 voucher after £10k?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
App on the way

From a brief exchange with the VM Twitter team, they’re working on an app which should be available by the end of the year (finally!).

Will let you know if I hear any more.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by travellingwigbury
From a brief exchange with the VM Twitter team, they’re working on an app which should be available by the end of the year (finally!).

Will let you know if I hear any more.
Oh thank goodness.

This is the only card I can't check on an app and the login system on the website is a pain in the butt!
travellingwigbury likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:40 am

I applied for one of these cards a few weeks ago, and was declined.

My credit rating is fine in regards to no missed payments/defaults etc, but they may not have liked that I only moved into my rental less than a year ago, and I have 10 credit searches in the past year and 5 new accounts.

It's a shame as I was hoping to get away from Avios and using my Lloyds AMEX (which is closing soon). I guess I'll use the AMEX Gold card, wait 6 months and try again with VA.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by TangoFive
I applied for one of these cards a few weeks ago, and was declined........................
My son was in a very similar position recently - he has Amex Gold and had the old MBNA VS card, but was declined for the Virgin Money VS card - he rang them to complain and was told that lots of people are being declined, and if he wanted a card he should appeal.

He did appeal, and was accepted straight away with no explanation, and a high credit limit!

As other posters have said, Virgin Money do very little to inspire confidence. Personally, the only problem I have had with them is them cancelling my card after the Ticketmaster data breach, but failing to tell me they had cancelled it!

Unfortunately, other than Amex, I can't see any alternative in the UK if you want to collect VS points.

In their defence, I have to admit that the 18k bonus points I have received in the past three billing cycles have made up for the mess up of the cancelled card.

Nick
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
My son was in a very similar position recently - he has Amex Gold and had the old MBNA VS card, but was declined for the Virgin Money VS card - he rang them to complain and was told that lots of people are being declined, and if he wanted a card he should appeal.

He did appeal, and was accepted straight away with no explanation, and a high credit limit!

As other posters have said, Virgin Money do very little to inspire confidence. Personally, the only problem I have had with them is them cancelling my card after the Ticketmaster data breach, but failing to tell me they had cancelled it!

Unfortunately, other than Amex, I can't see any alternative in the UK if you want to collect VS points.

In their defence, I have to admit that the 18k bonus points I have received in the past three billing cycles have made up for the mess up of the cancelled card.

Nick
Thanks for the info - did your son appeal via the post, or email? Also, did he attach any supporting information for his appeal?

I'll send an appeal letter off on Monday.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:46 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by TangoFive
Thanks for the info - did your son appeal via the post, or email.................
I have just spoken to him, and he says he just rang them. The person on the phone said they would look at his application again, then a few days later he got an email to say a card had been issued - the email just said his application had been successful as if it was talking about his original application - no reference to the previous refusal, or any explanations.

Nick

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.