Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Atlantic: first loss in 4 years

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by JackDann
I loved flying Virgin from the West Coast but they were ALWAYS at least 25% more expensive than other airlines. To a point where prices were not even competitive anymore. Interestingly this isn't so much the case if you were booking a return from London, rather than California. They should look into their pricing strategy for U.S based travellers and price up more competitively.
I'm flying Virgin LHR - SFO in a few weeks and they were about £700 cheaper in PE, my biggest bugbear is I don't get two carry-ons so will need to check a bag
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
The Virgin website is a freaking mess. I despair of it sometimes. I was trying to get to a screen so that I could screenshot it for a query, and it wouldn't recognise LHR, or auto-complete when I typed London.
You can no longer pick and upgradeable fare in PE. (Economy not such as issue now as only Economy Light can't be upgraded).
The website is painful to use.
To use Multi City you have to select the state then the airport, as when you type, say LHR - BOS for your first flight, then want to add BOS - LAX, the destination from BOSTON is only UK choices. This is BASIC.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by Sealink; Mar 18, 2018 at 7:51 pm
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
VS isn't helping itself by having a terrible Upper Class hard product. Also, they keep taking away amenities from Premium... no more amenity kits on day flights and the new seats only have footrests, not leg rests like the former ones.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by dajdavies
I'm flying Virgin LHR - SFO in a few weeks and they were about £700 cheaper in PE, my biggest bugbear is I don't get two carry-ons so will need to check a bag
The policy doesn't seem to stop a lot of PE pax from carrying on two bags :P

Originally Posted by fly747first
Also, they keep taking away amenities from Premium... no more amenity kits on day flights and the new seats only have footrests, not leg rests like the former ones.
They haven't had amenity kits on any of the day flights I've taken (ie: all my VS flights) since at least 2014. I'll happily trade a proper power port and wifi for both a cheap bag with a disposable toothbrush and the leg rests. Overall, I'd still say PE is above average vs other products out there.

But yeah, J lags. I'd seriously consider DL J over VS J on the JV routes, especially with the DL A330 replacing the 76s.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It has been steadily on a downward spiral since Delta got their sticky fingers in the till as far as I am concerned. I don't see it improving, the originality and vibrant culture, where it was less of a flight, more of an experience (and a very good one at that) has long left the building. Even the veeps and c-suite just talk in platitudes now in order to toe the company line.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by bennos
The policy doesn't seem to stop a lot of PE pax from carrying on two bags :P
Indeed, just got back and they seemed quite happy with me takig my small STM laptop rucksack and my HoF spinner as hand luggage

The bins in PE had plenty of spare space in them too even with a full cabin, so perhaps it stops just enought people doing it
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by dajdavies; Mar 30, 2018 at 2:42 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It has been steadily on a downward spiral since Delta got their sticky fingers in the till as far as I am concerned. I don't see it improving, the originality and vibrant culture, where it was less of a flight, more of an experience (and a very good one at that) has long left the building. Even the veeps and c-suite just talk in platitudes now in order to toe the company line.
Agree with this! As a Yank myself, I can clearly see and regret the loss of the "British" experience. The LHR Clubhouse filled to the brim with Delta flyers has not helped.
I also agree with another poster that the Upper Class product has lost its charm for me, and I fly mostly BA now, either C or F.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
That hasn't been my experience of the Clubhouse in the last year.
I find Upper Class to be perfectly fine.
It's Virgin's systems that have me crawling the walls!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Gotta disagree with you on the Premium Econ comments. Even VS' mediocre partner in crime Delta has a much better Premium Select product now with full leg rests, enhanced amenity kits and blankets, meals of significantly better quality, a vastly nicer IFE than Vera, and a true dedicated crew. On my VS 787 flight, VS only assigned 10 cabin crews and though the ones on my aisle were incredibly lovely and hard working, it was clear the PE crew was the same as the regular Economy crew... seemed that 4 were permanently stationed in Upper Class and the other 6 served both PE and regular E.

Originally Posted by bennos

They haven't had amenity kits on any of the day flights I've taken (ie: all my VS flights) since at least 2014. I'll happily trade a proper power port and wifi for both a cheap bag with a disposable toothbrush and the leg rests. Overall, I'd still say PE is above average vs other products out there.

But yeah, J lags. I'd seriously consider DL J over VS J on the JV routes, especially with the DL A330 replacing the 76s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.