Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Does Virgin Prem Econ roughly compare to USA domestic F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Thinking of trying Virgin to London this year for the first time. I've done some searching and reading, and it seems to me like the seat is roughly similar to what you'd expect in domestic F in the USA (such as MD80/737 F seats on AA), size wise. Is this a fair assumption?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Yes, that's a fair assumption.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Yes, this is correct to compare with the major airlines in the US offering F on a 2-class aircraft, which offer a hot meal, and a wider seat with more legroom than Economy. I would say the US carrier F seats are larger than the Virgin PE seats, but not by much.

If you've not flown on Virgin Atlantic, I think you'll find some of the other PE amenities more to your liking than flying on a US carrier.

First on JetBlue (called "Mint"), is a whole other category - more like flying international F on a major carrier. Just had the pleasure last week.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
More or less in terms of legroom and seat width... Although it's still a much different feel between a narrowbody 2-2 config in US domestic F versus a 2-3-2 on a widebody PE - as you get much more elbowroom in a typical domestic F.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Awesome, thanks for the feedback.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
If it's a day flight, then PE seats on Virgin are great. It's a comfortable seat, possibly better than an AA domestic F, and the Virgin service is excellent. I actually flew PE as a cash upgrade at the airport (it was about $300 for NYC-LHR).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: United, Alaska, Virgin Atlantic
I just flew LAX-LHR in PE. The seats are comfortable, but try to avoid middle seat in the center if possible. The service is better than domestic F, IMO. I didn't care for the earphones they provided, so bring your own for a better experience.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Thinking of trying Virgin to London this year for the first time. I've done some searching and reading, and it seems to me like the seat is roughly similar to what you'd expect in domestic F in the USA (such as MD80/737 F seats on AA), size wise. Is this a fair assumption?
Virgin has different PE seats depending on the aircraft. Regardless, they are a tad better than domestic F seats... they all have foot rests and in some cases of older aircraft even leg rests.

On 787 aircraft, there is a small stand-up area with snacks and drinks for PE pax as well as dedicated lavatories.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
May not be the thread to post this but a comment was made above about the quality of the head phones provided in PE. Does anyone know if the headphones provided are noise canceling? Thanks.. if so what is wrong with them. ?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 5:49 pm
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Originally Posted by Srklaw7
May not be the thread to post this but a comment was made above about the quality of the head phones provided in PE. Does anyone know if the headphones provided are noise canceling? Thanks.. if so what is wrong with them. ?
Headphones in Y and PE are not noise cancelling, but the connection is via a standard jack, so most people tend to use their own.
There is nothing wrong with the cheap ones provided by VS - except that they are cheap ones ;-)

Nick
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:25 pm

Preference Question: For VS on a 787 for 9.5 hours, if you had the choice between a normal economy window seat, versus a premium economy middle seat, which would you choose?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by FoxCrane
Preference Question: For VS on a 787 for 9.5 hours, if you had the choice between a normal economy window seat, versus a premium economy middle seat, which would you choose?
PE middle seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.