Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade at Airport: Virgin Atlantic

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
If it's a Delta PNR then they are the ticketing carrier, and VS is the operating carrier. The changes would need to be done with DL inline with their rules.

I've never tried buying a cash upgrade at the airport when it wasn't ticketed by VS themselves. I suspect it can be done, so it's worth asking.

Remember that VS Premium is still pretty good and if you've been used to DL Comfort+ then VS Premium is a big step up.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by CommanderB
If it's a Delta PNR then they are the ticketing carrier, and VS is the operating carrier. The changes would need to be done with DL inline with their rules.

I've never tried buying a cash upgrade at the airport when it wasn't ticketed by VS themselves. I suspect it can be done, so it's worth asking.

Remember that VS Premium is still pretty good and if you've been used to DL Comfort+ then VS Premium is a big step up.
I called Virgin Atlantic, and they said even with a DL ticket, I will still be eligible for upgrade purchase at the airport, she just couldn’t provide an amount, because she didn’t know.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by WesTraveller
I called Virgin Atlantic, and they said even with a DL ticket, I will still be eligible for upgrade purchase at the airport, she just couldn’t provide an amount, because she didn’t know.
That's good to know. I suspected that would be the case because you can even upgrade non-upgradable buckets and travel agent tickets on the day too.

Price will be decided based on how many seats are left. Get there early to increase your chances.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
Awesome, I plan to arrive when the ticketing desk opens, I was advised 3 hours before departure. I will certainly come back to update others. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: VS / IHG
Originally Posted by CommanderB
If VS offer cash upgrades on the day, they will almost always take miles as well, so if you have miles to burn and your Premium ticket is in bucket H, S or W then i'd opt for miles instead.
Anyone got any kind of feel for how many points it would take to upgrade from PE to UC on a London - West Coast flight at check-in?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are tables on the VS website that tell you how many miles it is to upgrade from one cabin to another. remember to take into account of it is a peak or off peak date though.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: VS / IHG
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There are tables on the VS website that tell you how many miles it is to upgrade from one cabin to another. remember to take into account of it is a peak or off peak date though.
Ah, so a points upgrade at check-in would cost the same as if you were able to do it at an earlier stage. Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Will they take points for a day of departure/airport upgrade if you aren't in a fare bucket eligible for an upgrade (PE booked in K)? I have a number of VS points to burn and would much prefer that route vs. cash. Would this be further complicated or rendered not possible if I am looking to credit the trip to Delta and have my Skymiles number on the reservation instead of my VS number? Thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:05 pm

Does anyone have any post-coronavirus experience with this? I'm booked Economy Delight on a flight that looks fairly empty all around, with other flights to and from the same destinations equally empty. Also, if one does upgrade, either at the gate or using the sliding-scale biding procedure, does that change the fare class for purposes of computing MQDs for SkyMiles purposes?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB
Does anyone have any post-coronavirus experience with this? I'm booked Economy Delight on a flight that looks fairly empty all around, with other flights to and from the same destinations equally empty. Also, if one does upgrade, either at the gate or using the sliding-scale biding procedure, does that change the fare class for purposes of computing MQDs for SkyMiles purposes?
I flew tonight from JFK to LHR and upgraded in the clubhouse from premium to upper class for $850. The cabin was next to empty with just 8 pax.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Flying LHR to LAX soon. Fingers crossed for a PE to UC possibility at the airport.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:10 pm

Had something really rare happen for my up and coming flight from LHR to LAX. Was emailed an offer to upgrade to Upper Class (from PE) for £300 obviously sent a reply saying YES! A really helpful agent then called me to take payment and sort it all out and was all confirmed with in 5 mins
Buster CT1K and babyg_wc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.