Search

Complimentary Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Atlantic / BA
Cool Complimentary Upgrades

Hi,

In the last two years I have flown over 200,000 miles with Virgin in Economy (sometimes Premium) and have never received a complimentary upgrade despite having Gold Flying Club status and over 2000 Tier points this year alone.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Are there any tricks or tips to getting the occasional free perk?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You have to book sold out / overbooked flights. Otherwise no upgrades.

Economy is rarely oversold on most routes - too many seats to fill. You have a better chance when booking PE as it is a small cabin and some companies have no Business Class policies so PE can fill with late walk-ups/flexible tickets.

But ultimately you should always expect to fly in the cabin you paid for. Check out the Premium Fares thread for ideas about how/where to book Business Class at a reasonable price in the first place...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:38 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

You are not doing anything wrong.

As Craig says, you need to be on an overbooked flight.

Virgin Atlantic are not like the US carriers, they do not automatically upgrade their frequent fliers to fill the seats up front. They will only offer op-ups if they have to because they have oversold economy / PE.

This policy has been in place for many years, and in the long run has saved me a fortune. In the 'old days' I used to chase status with VS, they used to have special events for Gold Card Holders and would often give comp op-ups. For several years, I was upgraded on almost half the flights I took.

Now, the only real perk of having a Gold card is Clubhouse access when you are flying down the back.

Nick
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
2000 TPs in Y... man, I thought I had it bad!

VS rarely do op-ups as mentioned. So your best bet is being a single traveller, with status in Premium. And always ask at Check In, you never know what offers are going unless you ask ;-)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Ask at check in about using your miles to upgrade. They can only say no but equally they may be happy to take some miles off you.

But VS (like BA) don't just upgrade elites for free because there is space available in the cabin. I've been on flights with plenty of space in UC but heard staff at checkin and at the gate state there were no upgrades 'of any type' available.

They do it when it suits them e.g. As mentioned when they have over booked a cabin and need to shuffle people about.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: VS Gold, Marriott Platinum, BA Gold, Ryanair hatred!
In the past 5 years and having flown not far off 2000TP per year every year - (80 in old money) I've had a grand total of 1 surprise "status upgrade" if that's indeed what it was (truth be told I didn't ask and didn't care).

I was Gold FC at the time, I paid for PE, It wasn't a late booking, the PE cabin wasn't full (nor was UC where I was moved to), oh and I always ask!!!

It was a very very lovely surprise on an 11 hr LHR to LAX flight

So no, I doubt you're doing anything wrong, these upgrades are just a very VERY rare occurrence!

Last edited by Mark1976; Sep 28, 2017 at 1:48 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The other thing to mention is that you will frequently see a sign at the check-in desks (especially at outstations) that says "upgrade today for £X / $Y". I'm usually booked in Upper Class anyhow, but the cost is definitely in the range of what I would consider paying.

So to get a free op-up you not only have to be on an oversold flight, but you need to hope that nobody on the plane was tempted by the cash upgrade offer... (plus those who try to upgrade using miles at the airport, another area where VS are more advanced than BA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.